--- My (VHS) Video Capture Guide --- The best way to do it

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Robert Khnanisho

Re: --- My (VHS) Video Capture Guide --- The best way to do

PostFri May 08, 2020 10:41 pm

Eric-Jan wrote:btw @Robert Khnanisho: you can't set 625p50 in the BMD software ? (Video Setup & Media Express)

Hi Eric, please see my post above and also the link to my other thread. It appears the SD standards are different in the Intensity Pro 4K and the Shuttle models.

On another note, I’m posting replies instantly, however this forum moderation is taking days to approve and is really stifling conversation.

Denny Smith

PostSat May 09, 2020 12:48 am

Robert, SD progressive is not a standard SD format, as SD is normally interlace, 625i50 for example. The CRT TVs used then do not support progressive video. I believe 625p50 was a PAL DVD format.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Eric-Jan

PostSat May 09, 2020 7:30 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Robert, SD progressive is not a standard SD format, as SD is normally interlace, 625i50 for example. The CRT TVs used then do not support progressive video. I believe 625p50 was a PAL DVD format.
Cheers

That's correct, depending on the device, first generation dvd players had maybe only composite and RCA RGB connections, later came SCART mostly Europe i guess... SCART would have RGB, CRT was still in fashion, but next to it also RCA component connections would appear for LCD or beamers, later on dvd recorders also HDMI came available, because digital came with the LCD tv screens which is also used for audio Dolby Digital, which i think is a great addition for watching video, and the use of only one cable. (SCART like)
concerning the available resolutions with capture devices of BMD, i do not see clearly the reasoning about the options.. for PAL i only see 625i50 and 625p50 available, in both Video Setup and Media Express, plus where NTSC has one analog input setting more, did the devolpment of the software for the Intensity series just stopped somewhere ?
UltraStudio Mini Recorder, Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Assist 6G. Davinci Resolve 15 > Sierra, Resolve 16 > Catalina. Media Express, MacX Video Converter Pro, UniConverter (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on MacBook Pro hardware)

Ian Edmond

PostSat May 30, 2020 11:38 am

Hi all (and Eric in particular) - first post having just got an Intensity Pro 4K.

I see the same options as Robert in his post earlier in this thread (from May 2nd - I would link to it but the board software tells me I am not allowed to post URLs). Does anyone have a recomendation for the best Capture File Format to use with 625i50 PAL for VHS capture? Thank you!

Eric-Jan

PostMon Jun 01, 2020 7:53 pm

Ian Edmond wrote:Hi all (and Eric in particular) - first post having just got an Intensity Pro 4K.

I see the same options as Robert in his post earlier in this thread (from May 2nd - I would link to it but the board software tells me I am not allowed to post URLs). Does anyone have a recomendation for the best Capture File Format to use with 625i50 PAL for VHS capture? Thank you!

It depends... i guess you're on Windows 10, i'm on MAC OS, and then it's easy to use ProRes, ProRes422 LT to be exact, but i'm thinking about using ProRes422 it has less compression, although it's intra frame compression and not inter frame like h.264.
On Windows you can use the AVID codec, un-compressed will be heavy on your system during the capture, and might cause dropped frames.
But.. you did some tests already ? what do you use as player ? and does it need stabilisation of some sort ?
Tell about your setup, with as much of details, to avoid misunderstanding.
UltraStudio Mini Recorder, Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Assist 6G. Davinci Resolve 15 > Sierra, Resolve 16 > Catalina. Media Express, MacX Video Converter Pro, UniConverter (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on MacBook Pro hardware)

Ian Edmond

PostTue Jun 02, 2020 11:57 am

Eric-Jan wrote:
Ian Edmond wrote:Hi all (and Eric in particular) - first post having just got an Intensity Pro 4K.

It depends... i guess you're on Windows 10, i'm on MAC OS, and then it's easy to use ProRes, ProRes422 LT to be exact, but i'm thinking about using ProRes422 it has less compression, although it's intra frame compression and not inter frame like h.264.
On Windows you can use the AVID codec, un-compressed will be heavy on your system during the capture, and might cause dropped frames.
But.. you did some tests already ? what do you use as player ? and does it need stabilisation of some sort ?
Tell about your setup, with as much of details, to avoid misunderstanding.

Thanks for the advice so far. I'm actually waiting for a cable to turn up before I can start capturing, so I haven't done any tests yet. I'm going to be capturing VHS footage, so it seems unnecessary to use a high quality setting, and this is for personal rather than commercial use so I don't have to consider compatability with HD output, for example.

I've seen mention of ProRes442 as a good choice in this thread, but as with Robert earlier in the thread, I'm not sure where this option can be selected in the current version of Media Express. Like him, my list of options are:

AVI 8-bit YUV
AVI 10-bit YUV
AVI 10-bit RGB
AVI Motion JPEG
QuickTime Uncompressed 8-bit YUV
QuickTime Uncompressed 10-bit YUV
QuickTime Uncompressed 10-bit RGB
QuickTime DVCPRO 50
DPX 10-bit RGB

I think that any uncompressed options are overkill for my needs. I'm capturing via component, so I assume that a YUV option is best. Is there a great difference between 8-bit and 10-bit?

Eric-Jan

PostTue Jun 02, 2020 7:00 pm

For VHS 8 bit is enough, you should do some tests with:

DPX 10-bit RGB
QuickTime DVCPRO 50
AVI Motion JPEG

These codecs use intra frame compression, which means that each frame stands on it's own, which in turm means that this is an advantage for editing/post work, in this stage you edit or add some effects if wanted...
when done with that, you convert to stronger compression like h.264 for your end result.
using these codecs you can compare how they "act" by means of file size, and if you get dropped frames,
if you get dropped frames, it will mean that your system is not up to it, during capture it can not store the capture in time onto your HDD/SDD, to capture the "next load"
I guess AVI 8-bit YUV is uncompressed, and will leave you with very large files, and also dropped frames.
Just try 5 minutes of capture for each codec, and see what the result is.

Depending which capture device you use, and if you have the option for it on your VCR/DVD recorder,
you could also capture in progressive mode, which saves you de-interlacing in post, the Intensity Shuttle has the option to capture in progressive mode the Intensity Pro does not have this option, far as i know, it all depends on the hardware and options that are possible in these cases.

You could also add codecs to Desktop Video Setup, but you should do the research for that, i have no experience with that, MAC comes with ProRes,AVID, and un-compressed codecs pre-installed.
You can install 3rd party codecs like Avid, you should install them onto your Window$ OS, after that you should re-install (BMD) Desktop Video Setup
(don't know if installing the QuickTime video player will help, but you could see if this makes a difference)

hope this helps, succes !
Previous

Return to Getting Started