An App to combine HDMI video input with seperate audio

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

brvideo

An App to combine HDMI video input with seperate audio

PostFri Feb 22, 2019 12:15 am

I am using a BlackMagic Mini Recorder to input an HDMI signal to my Macbook Pro. I'm also inputting a separate external microphone into the Macbook. I'm trying to combine those two sources to create a movie. I'd rather not have to record the two feeds separately and then edit them together as I have to do this with several multi-hour presentations on an ongoing basis.

BlackMagic Express allows for the recording of the incoming HDMI signal. The quality is very high using this app and precisely what I want. Unfortunetly it does not let me choose the microphone signal to record along with the HDMI signal.

I can use Quicktime Player to choose these two sources, and it works, but the quality of the HDMI signal is not as high as I'd like...it's a little soft...even with the Quicktime Player record setting at "High". It's not as good as the original HDMI signal or when recording with Express.

Can anyone thinking of a free or low-cost Mac app that will let me choose separate video and audio signals and combine them into one recording, while maintaining the high quality of the HDMI input? I'd also like to avoid an HDMI Audio inserter. I'm trying to do this with software. You'd think if Quicktime Player can get me this close something must be out there to get me all the way there in software.

Andrew Martin

Re: An App to combine HDMI video input with seperate audio

PostSun Mar 03, 2019 7:47 pm

To do this correctly you'll need an audio embedder. Which will strip out the embedded hdmi audio for the external feed.

Many software titles will do what you want, ur issue is non of them will record uncompressed. They all make use of compression of some type on the recordings.

From my mobile using Tapatalk

Return to Getting Started