Decklink SDI 4K Capture - Betacam SX

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Derek E

Decklink SDI 4K Capture - Betacam SX

PostWed May 01, 2019 9:39 pm

Hi all

Looking at starting a big archiving project with a huge library of Betacam SX tapes.

I would like to digitize all the tapes using the Decklink SDI capture card either as SD or upconverted to XDCAM EX 35. I will be using a Sony DNW-A75 BetaSX deck for playback.

Couple questions...Will I have timecode on my captured file as long as I use RS422 deck control? The deck does not seem to output timecode over the SDI signal.

What are my options in terms of SD capture? I do not want to capture uncompressed. Ideally I could capture to an MPEG-2 15mbps 4:2:2 file as that would work nicely with our workflow. My other option is upconvert upon ingest and capture to XDCAM EX 35 as that is our native codec that we deal with on a daily basis.

Thanks

Luke Nicolaou

Re: Decklink SDI 4K Capture - Betacam SX

PostSat Sep 25, 2021 6:43 am

I know this is an old post, but I was wondering if you came to any solutions with this project? I’m looking at undertaking a near-identical digitisation process with close to 7000 Betacam tapes using the DNW-A75P deck. I was originally looking at recording straight to XD Disc, but the record time is just minutes too short, and I can’t seem to retain the time code.

What process and formats did you use to record, and we’re you able to preserve the time code?

Return to Getting Started