An easier way to transfer footage from Camera to Computer?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

austindonald1

An easier way to transfer footage from Camera to Computer?

PostThu Jun 27, 2019 4:13 am

other than having to keep taking out the Extreme Pro card from inside the camera and placing it in card reader connected to computer?

Can the card reader be attached to the camera's micro hdmi and rather put card inside camera, just mount it into the "external" card reader?

I'm afraid I'm going to wear out the card reader slot inside the camera
Donald Austin

Brad Hurley

Re: An easier way to transfer footage from Camera to Compute

PostThu Jun 27, 2019 1:28 pm

No, there's no other way to transfer footage. On stills cameras you can do it over USB (although most professionals would still use a card reader instead, for one thing it's faster).

If you use a monitor that's also a recorder (e.g., Blackmagic Video Assist), you can record to an SD card in the recorder. But you still have to take the SD card out and put it into a card reader to get the files onto your computer.

The card reader slot on your camera isn't going to wear out, don't worry!

Also note that it's a good idea to use Davinci Resolve's Clone Tool (available on the Media page) to transfer those files. Video files are very large, and while the chances of a copy error are slim using drag and drop, errors do sometimes happen. The Clone Tool performs a checksum to ensure that everything copied correctly, giving you some peace of mind.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

austindonald1

PostThu Jun 27, 2019 2:22 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:No, there's no other way to transfer footage. On stills cameras you can do it over USB (although most professionals would still use a card reader instead, for one thing it's faster).

If you use a monitor that's also a recorder (e.g., Blackmagic Video Assist), you can record to an SD card in the recorder. But you still have to take the SD card out and put it into a card reader to get the files onto your computer.

The card reader slot on your camera isn't going to wear out, don't worry!

Also note that it's a good idea to use Davinci Resolve's Clone Tool (available on the Media page) to transfer those files. Video files are very large, and while the chances of a copy error are slim using drag and drop, errors do sometimes happen. The Clone Tool performs a checksum to ensure that everything copied correctly, giving you some peace of mind.

thanks
Donald Austin

videoopp

PostSun Nov 19, 2023 3:43 pm

This looks like a great solution. However, I keep getting the error "The Network Connection was lost." I have strong Wifi Connection on both the camera and the phone and I am 6 feet from my router.
Macbook Pro M1 Max, 64G, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5B Build 31

videoopp

PostSun Nov 19, 2023 3:49 pm

I think the easier solution is to plug in an SSD drive, select the video clips you want and save to the drive directly.
Macbook Pro M1 Max, 64G, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5B Build 31

Return to Getting Started