Affordable Upscaler for BlackMagic Intensity Pro (not 4k)

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Cat Morgan

Affordable Upscaler for BlackMagic Intensity Pro (not 4k)

PostWed Sep 18, 2019 11:28 pm

Hello all!

I got my BMIP installed and the Playstation 4 is playing quite nicely with it. I am working getting older gear into it, and I know that really old stuff needs to be upscaled, that very few if any cards on the market today pull in 240p and worse from the NES era.

I purchased a KanexPro CON-AV-HD4K to make the bridge, it seemed to get good reviews on Amazon, and looks great at 720p60hz on my LCD TV, but the BMIP isn't seeing any signal from it no matter what setting I put it on.

Two questions:

Has anyone used this deice with their BMIP before and is there a trick that I'm missing?

or if not ...

Is there a decent and easy-to-use scaler for Really Old Stuff that works well with the IP and won't break the bank? I mean I and every retro nut in my pack would love a Framemeister but yeeeeesh.

Cat Morgan

Re: Affordable Upscaler for BlackMagic Intensity Pro (not 4k

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 6:57 pm

Update after some more playing.

BMIP PCI-e in Mac Pro 2012 running High Sierra, trying to pull into the Blackmagic software and ultimately OBS.

When I have the scaler set to 720p 60hz the card blinks in and out that it sees it. It seems like it's trying to see the NES and other gear. In the BlackMagic Device Setting app, I see under "HDMI Input" "HDMI Output" and "Composite Output" 720p60fps blinking on and off, like it sees something but it's not sure what to do with it. Do I just need a different scaler, or is there a setting on the card/driver that I'm missing?

Thanks so much! I'm so so close and you guys are so so helpful! I'm getting a great education in video, which was part of this project!

=^.^=

Cat Morgan

PostFri Sep 20, 2019 12:37 am

In yet another update, with the NES, it's super trying, I see some blinking. Does that just means that it is not liking what the scaler is putting in?

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 20, 2019 6:34 pm

If you are getting a blinking light, that means the signal is not locked in and inconsistent to the unit. This could be due to cabling, the source, physical connections. It could also be that the exact format of the video signal does not match but does see some of what is being sent. You can check with a TV HDMI input what the exact video format is and compare it to the tech spec page for the product.

Based on the info provided to this point, I believe it's related to the scaler you have in place but maybe someone who has some knowledge on that product might be able to provide additional guidance.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Return to Getting Started