BMMCC vs SONY F3

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Texaco87

BMMCC vs SONY F3

PostMon Nov 27, 2023 1:06 am

Crazy question- but has anyone worked with the BMMCC and F3 that could weigh in on how they compare?

I suppose I’m mostly curious about IQ but also of course what it’s like dealing with them practically as well

Thanks in advanced to anyone who’s worked with both and can give their two cents!

Alex Mitchell

Re: BMMCC vs SONY F3

PostMon Nov 27, 2023 9:19 am

Texaco87 wrote:Crazy question- but has anyone worked with the BMMCC and F3 that could weigh in on how they compare?

I suppose I’m mostly curious about IQ but also of course what it’s like dealing with them practically as well

Thanks in advanced to anyone who’s worked with both and can give their two cents!

This might be the most unhinged head-to-head I have ever heard in my life. You would have to try very hard to find two cameras less alike than a BMMCC and an F3. Someone could write a book on the differences here.

What would be a more sane approach is describing your process and the work you're trying to do and then asking which would be more appropriate.

Texaco87

PostMon Nov 27, 2023 11:25 am

I was struggling with how to respond to your comment so I’ll just say this-

I really love the image that comes from the f3. It falls within our budget, does better in low light, and has higher resolution than our current BMMCC. I know it’s outdated, and a wild camera to think about purchasing in 2023, but sometimes it’s just nice to be able to talk something out with likeminded individuals.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

ShaheedMalik

PostMon Nov 27, 2023 3:03 pm

Sounds like you are chasing gear. Buy lights. They are cheap.

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Nov 27, 2023 3:58 pm

Different beast.
If you need lowlight and great follow autofocus in low light I go at blind eyes to Sony, last Saturday I did terrific shooting with A7sIII in a closed room with only a small light. Autofocus keep eyes of actress also where myself I struggle to see (my eyes going to be in 50:-))

if I want some post flexibility in post and raw I choose Blackmagic Design.

Actually I had Blackmagic Design and Fuji ;-)
And I bought many lights to have light that I want, power by battery or lan.
If I can I prefer color to autofocus :-P
All external shooting was done with p6k ;-)

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Brad Hurley

PostMon Nov 27, 2023 4:22 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:if I want some post flexibility in post and raw I choose Blackmagic Design.

I think this is the key. I shot some Sony video for the first time this summer and it was nerve-wracking as I pretty much had to get everything right in-camera because my opportunities to make changes in post were so limited compared with what I'm used to with Blackmagic cameras. But I was filming dancers in a dark hall at ISO 12,800 and my BMMCCs were not nearly up to that task.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Texaco87

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 12:20 pm

ShaheedMalik wrote:Sounds like you are chasing gear. Buy lights. They are cheap.

You’re probably right about that, thanks for your input.

That’s on our list anyway, so maybe I’ll just start there.

Also, I know it’s funny to lust after the F3 but I just can’t help it. But ultimately, especially given how big the rig would end up being, I think we’ll just stay with our BMMCC until we need higher resolution or something that does better in low light.

Thanks all!

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 12:27 pm

anyone had different needs, my best suggest is ... not buy, rent ones and others and try yourself what is the best for you.

On my frequent work (medical documentary) the post recovery of highlights or different light, or dark or light picture is more important than autofocus and more, be cause you cannot repeat surgical operation and also if it's a bit soft, is not a problem.
When you go on others needs you grab different beast, then find the best for you.

ShaheedMalik

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 2:32 pm

Texaco87 wrote:
ShaheedMalik wrote:Sounds like you are chasing gear. Buy lights. They are cheap.

Also, I know it’s funny to lust after the F3 but I just can’t help it. But ultimately, especially given how big the rig would end up being, I think we’ll just stay with our BMMCC until we need higher resolution or something that does better in low light.

Thanks all!

Look at Mole Richardson's they are mostly under $100.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?from=R4 ... n&_sacat=0

Que Thompson

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 6:58 pm

Texaco87 wrote:

Thanks all!

Alot of people don't know that the F3 is using the same sensor pretty much as the Alexa... Maybe a better one. The image is second to none.

Dan Cotreau

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 2:48 pm

Que Thompson wrote:
Texaco87 wrote:

Thanks all!

Alot of people don't know that the F3 is using the same sensor pretty much as the Alexa... Maybe a better one. The image is second to none.

I imagine most people don't know this, because it is just not true at all. Now you might personally like the image from the Sony camera better... that is your prerogative. But Alexa and the Sony FX3 do not use the same sensors in their camera. Sony obviously makes their own sensor. Alexa's sensors have been made by Onsemi for some time now. They are completely different. And then there is the difference in codecs between the two as well.

"All digital Arri cameras, starting with the first Arriflex D-20 in 2005, followed by the first Alexa delivered in June 2010 up to the Alexa 35 introduced this year, are based on CMOS sensors jointly developed with onsemi," said Walter Trauninger, managing director and head of Camera Systems at Arri.

"The close collaboration between the two companies is the foundation for Arri's ability to provide the best overall image quality to filmmakers. This kind of long-term commitment is an absolute exception in an ever-changing semiconductor market and is invaluable to Arri."

https://optics.org/news/13/9/29#:~:text ... o%20onsemi.

"The partnership passed the test of time, leading the ARRI ALEXA to be rewarded with a Scientific and Engineering Award from the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences as well as an Engineering Emmy from the Television Academy in 2017."

https://www.cined.com/onsemi-the-manufa ... ng-sensor/

As stated by Onsemi: “For more than 20 years, Onsemi has worked with ARRI, a leading manufacturer of motion picture equipment in the world, to bring high-quality digital capture to professional motion picture and television production. Camera-specific adjustments by ARRI combined with the advanced image sensors from Onsemi allow capturing the color richness, vibrancy, and high dynamic range that previously cinematographers depended on film to deliver."

https://ymcinema.com/2021/11/08/onsemi- ... echnology/
Last edited by Dan Cotreau on Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MKUltraPrimes

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 4:30 pm

Que Thompson wrote:
Texaco87 wrote:

Thanks all!

I guess we’re now in the “just saying things” stage of old camera fetishism

Texaco87

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 4:50 pm

Oh no, what have I started…haha

I’ll say this- it’s probably a bear to work with. It seems very heavy and I have no idea what the storage would actually be like.

Having said that, I love the image it produces and I want one very badly. If someone handed me a fully rigged package I would love to try my hand at it.

Ultimately, just a bad case of GAS

Que Thompson

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 5:24 pm

Not going to argue with you guys lol... Do your research.

Michel Rabe

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 5:54 pm

Que Thompson wrote:
Alot of people don't know that the F3 is using the same sensor pretty much as the Alexa.

"pretty much" as in "not at all"? :)

Uli Plank

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 1:32 am

Definitely not.
I know folks from Arri personally, and the sensor was developed by Onsemi and not by Sony.
That’s all.
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 12.7.3
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Que Thompson

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 3:02 am

I wasn’t saying they were the same, but very close. They were made around the same time and footage looks very similar. Calm down.

Howard Roll

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 4:50 am

If you’re going dumpster diving in the Sonyverse check out the f35 or better yet the f65. World class cams selling for 5% of retail.

Good Luck

Michel Rabe

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 10:49 am

They're huge and heavy though which OP does not favor.

I somehow get the appeal of looking at certain old cameras but the post workflow of modern cams is generally so much better it's not worth it imo.

Texaco87

PostMon Dec 04, 2023 2:32 pm

Yeah, like I said, just a bad case of GAS

Fortunately for me, we’re getting some footage back from our last two shorts shot with our BMMCC and SLR Magic APOs and it looks pretty incredible, so that always helps with lusting after new gear that you don’t really need anyway

ShaheedMalik

PostMon Dec 04, 2023 7:43 pm

Que Thompson wrote:I wasn’t saying they were the same, but very close. They were made around the same time and footage looks very similar. Calm down.

That's a personal opinion. Not fact.

Return to Cinematography