ursa 4.6K G2 failure

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

sonnyboy

ursa 4.6K G2 failure

PostTue Dec 05, 2023 2:27 pm

I have a URSA Minipro 4.6K G2. it can power on, then the fan runs, but the status screen has no display, the monitor is all black but has backlight, and the SDI output has no picture. I suspect it may be a hardware failure or a firmware problem, and I want to try to rewrite the firmware before returning it for repair. CameraSetup can recognize it and display the correct name and firmware version v6.5.1, but I can’t operate it because it is already the latest firmware, and I find no button anywhere. Is there any other way to rewrite the firmware that I can try?
DR Studio 18.01
MacOS Mojave 12.5
Radeon 5700 8GB
Mini Panel

Uli Plank

Re: ursa 4.6K G2 failure

PostWed Dec 06, 2023 7:39 am

Yes. Delete the newer version from your computer, get the older one and install.
If that doesn’t work, things are serious.
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 12.7.3
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

rick.lang

PostWed Dec 06, 2023 2:06 pm

At least on a Mac, the .dmg file for the camera setup includes an icon to remove the previous version of camera setup from your computer. My understanding is you are supposed to do that first, every time you open the .dmg file, before you create the new version of the camera setup.
Rick Lang

Mike Potton

PostWed Dec 06, 2023 8:20 pm

I wouldn't bother trying to troubleshoot firmware, this sounds like the sensor board solder issue that plagues the G'1s. You can verify this by removing the side panel without the screen and unplugging the big ribbon connector, if your camera now boots with the user interface (but still black screen as you have disconnected the sensor PCB) then it's likely the solder holding the sensor to the PCB has failed and needs repair, the rest of the camera is likely fine.

Your options are to...

A: Send it to BMD, it sounds like they are still repairing G'2s. This will be expensive but guaranteed.

B: Up-skill your soldering game, or find someone who knows their stuff to action this fix.

Return to Cinematography