No Sound From External Mics

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

RichardCat

No Sound From External Mics

PostFri Nov 22, 2013 8:16 pm

I recently purchased the Cinema EF camera. For audio I purchased an Azden WMS-Pro wireless mic and Azden SGM-990 zoom mic. Both have a mini 3.5mm plug, I use a plug adapter for it to fit the cameras 1/4 inputs. The camera isn't picking up any audio from them, I can put my headphones directly into the wireless (lapel) mic and hear its working great. But then put the headphones in the camera and there's nothing. What is the problem and how do I fix it?

frenchiefilms

Re: No Sound From External Mics

PostSat Nov 23, 2013 1:32 am

One of two things,

1. you need a preamp of some kind to boost the signals going into the camera
or
2. you need phantom power which the camera doesn't provide and will need to get that somehow (lav mic's are unlikely to need it but the boom mic may need it).

~Phil
==
Phillip Davis
pdavis@frenchiefilms.com

RichardCat

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 3:47 pm

black magic wrote me and said its because they are DSLR mics, which have very low output. So I could try a preamp. I don't mind returning them and getting something better suited for the camera. Can you suggest any mics that work well with the camera? I do need a exteranal and lapel mic.

cwfilms

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 4:24 am

RichardCat wrote:black magic wrote me and said its because they are DSLR mics, which have very low output. So I could try a preamp. I don't mind returning them and getting something better suited for the camera. Can you suggest any mics that work well with the camera? I do need a exteranal and lapel mic.

What style 1/4 inch adapters are you using? I had this exact same problem with my Rode Videomic. The issue that I was having was that the 1/4 inch adapter was a stereo TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) , and should have been a MONO adapter. Just head over to your local music store and ask them for a 3.5mm to 1/4 inch MONO adapter.

Hope that helps!

RichardCat

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 3:16 pm

Thanks, my adapters are stereo.. but I'm ordering a audio preamp and if that doesn't work I'll try the Mono adapters as well.

frenchiefilms

PostFri Dec 06, 2013 6:49 pm

I personally do separate audio, and most of my audio experience is with music, not video, so I'm not aware of the mic's that people use extensively. I'd suggest looking at the R0DE that people use a lot on the top of the camera if you're doing run and gun, though, but I'm not 100% sure of it myself as I've not used it. I've got an Audio Technica shotgun mic due to every other AT mic I've used being awesome, but that's my personal experience. For other music use I use Sure a lot as well, but really haven't used any for video work.
==
Phillip Davis
pdavis@frenchiefilms.com

James Mayo

PostSat Dec 07, 2013 12:11 pm

I also encounter this problem with my Pocket Camera. I am using Capdase Shotgun Mic m-25.
So I just want to confirm, DSLR mics are not compatible with BM cameras, is this correct? :)
James Mayo
Up and Coming Filmmaker

Chris Hocking

PostMon Dec 09, 2013 3:39 am

Return to Cinematography