BMPCC mini monitor

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Elliott Mariess

BMPCC mini monitor

PostSat Dec 07, 2013 12:10 pm

i just got my hands on the BMPCC and took it out on a few test runs. i really love the results i'm getting from it so i want to start using it more for actual film work. im used to working with my canon 60D that has the flip out rotating monitor this is such a handy feature for filming with the number of angles and candid shots i've managed to pull off with it makes it sorely missed on the BMPCC. i've done a bunch of research looking for a good external monitor but everything i've found is ridiculously bulky, way too big with yards of converter cables and tons of extra mounting parts and chunky external batteries and tonnes of features that i don't need that completely defeats the point of having this nice small compact cinema camera.

my question is does anyone know of/use a nice small external monitor that works in a similar way to my old flip out screen? something that mounts easily and lets you get the angles you want without turning your nice little pocket camera into some monstrous home entertainment system?

adamroberts

Re: BMPCC mini monitor

PostSat Dec 07, 2013 12:44 pm

Can't go wrong with the smallHD DP4.

Well built and has one of the best focus assist features I've ever used.

Kofa

PostSun Dec 08, 2013 3:33 am

adamroberts wrote:Can't go wrong with the smallHD DP4.

Nice, but so expensive. I'm loking at lilliput monitors but I now some don't work well with the pocket.
@kofaboyah
kofaboyah.com

Toby Angwin

PostSun Dec 08, 2013 9:44 am

This is the thing. You get what you pay for.

SmallHD is going to outlast the liliput. They are also completely in another league in terms of build quality.

Cheers,

Toby
Toby Angwin - Director/Compositor

http://www.soupkitchenfilms.net
@soupkitchen on Twitter
http://vimeo.com/soupkitchen

adamroberts

PostSun Dec 08, 2013 10:30 am

The LCD panel is of a much higher quality then the BMPCC. The case is solid milled aluminium. The processing hardware and software is of a very high quality. You'll use it on other cameras and it'll out last the BMPCC. So it's value is more than the price you pay.

I think what people forget is that BM have made a camera priced well below anything in the market. Anything else is going to look expensive in comparison.

To do what they have done they have had to make decisions on where to compromise on components. The screen could be better, it could be articulated, they could have included a loupe... But those things would have easily added 30-40% to the price.

Dustin Uy

PostSun Dec 08, 2013 11:27 am

Geoff Baxter wrote:But somehow faintly ridiculous that they cost more than twice the price of the camera?

Geoff

dp4 449, with the evf at 600.
Not exactly twice the camera. Besides you're not the one who is buying.

Imo, the 150 loop is pricey but the evf is priced accoridngly for its size and built.
Theres thrifty, and theres paying for what they deserve. For a monitor with good built and software its worth it. I work hard to provide high quality service and i deserve high quality price so i pay for quality products from people who work hard in providing it.

Elliott Mariess

PostSun Dec 08, 2013 11:33 am

thanks that's exactly what i was looking for! and the price isn't that bad.
mariess.co.uk

adamroberts

PostSun Dec 08, 2013 12:47 pm

mariess wrote:

thanks that's exactly what i was looking for! and the price isn't that bad.

Cool.

I have the DP6 and love it. Goes on every shoot with me. Been looking at the DP4 to add to the Pocket rig.

Service from smallHD is also 2nd to none. Any issues are sorted out fast and without any hassle. Kind of service I expect as a professional. Try getting that with a cheap Chinese monitor purchase.

Raymond Zananiri

PostMon Dec 09, 2013 4:14 am

I am receiving the AC7 ($600) on Tue. It's 7". I will tell you if it works with the BMPCC.

richmondimage

PostMon Dec 09, 2013 4:04 pm

What about monitors that second as recorders? I know the Atomos Ninja seems to be the more popular model there, but they really are kinda expensive. Does anyone have any recommendations?
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, too rare to die

Uli Plank

PostMon Dec 09, 2013 5:20 pm

What's a Ninja good for? You can't do any better recording than in camera – well, maybe as a backup.

There are cheap no-name Chinese monitors with 5.6 inches and 1280 x 800 pixels in a solid metal case that work with the BMPCC
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b3 (sandbox)
SE, UltraStudio Monitor G3

josephrose

PostMon Dec 09, 2013 6:48 pm

Uli Plank wrote:What's a Ninja good for? You can't do any better recording than in camera – well, maybe as a backup.

For starters:
• audio input level monitors
• much longer recording time on relatively inexpensive HDD or SSD's

Lots of other cool features too.

Denny Smith

PostMon Dec 09, 2013 9:36 pm

Geoff Baxter wrote:
richmondimage wrote:What about monitors that second as recorders? I know the Atomos Ninja seems to be the more popular model there, but they really are kinda expensive. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm pretty sure an external recorder is useless on the Pocket camera, it cannot record RAW as it is not output from the camera.

Geoff

But it could be used to record a ProRes file, as HDMI can output clean 4.2.2 1080P signal that will work with Ninja, and have a back up file, not "raw" but better than no file, if internal SD quits.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography