BMPCC+Speedbooster

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

michaelxbarakat

BMPCC+Speedbooster

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 12:33 am

So as of right now, I'm thinking about getting the metabones speed booster designed for my BMPCC. However, the problem is the speedbooster they released only has support for Nikon lens, and I have canon glass. Specifically my 35mm T1.5 cine lens designed to work on canon body's.

But I have a solution, but need help figuring if it'll work or not.
My process would be to buy the metabones speed booster, and then buy a canon/Nikon adapter that allows me to attach canon glass to Nikon body's, and then use my canon glass on this setup.

Will this work? Would it disable autofocus and other features? (Not that I use auto focus, all manual)

If anyone has any thoughts on this please let me know!

paulgolden

Re: BMPCC+Speedbooster

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 12:44 am

Unfortunately, you can go Nikon to Canon but not Canon to Nikon because the 44 mm flange distance for the Canon is shorter than the Nikon's 46.5mm native distance. This means you can put an adaptor on a Nikon lens, but not on a Canon.

Refer to this chart for more enlightenment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

The MFT mounts accept quite a lot of different lenses because of their really short 19.25mm distance. This is good for almost adapting all lens systems to MFT, but it doesn't help you now. My advice is to wait for an EF-MFT Speedbooster (they say they're working on it) or go with some Nikon mount glass in the meantime.

michaelxbarakat

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 12:49 am

Cheers mate thanks for the fast reply! I'll wait for them to announce more in the future once they start shipping the batches they have made. Fingers crossed that they release for canon glass. My 35mm Rokinon T1.5 is my sharpest lens and I've been dying to use it with my pocket camera and rig setup.

Eli B. Michaud

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 2:16 am

Pick up a cheap MFT to EF adaptor. That way when you do get the speedbooster it'll almost be like having 2 different lenses. Currently using my rokinon 16mm with a fotodiox adapter and it works perfectly and planning on doing the same when they release a ef BMPCC SB.
Eli B. Michaud
Director, Cinematographer, Writer, Camera Operator

michaelxbarakat

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 2:23 am

Well I already have an adapter for EF to MFT, but the thing is I want to have the Speed booster so I get less of a crop and make the lens wider and sharper, also can adjust apertures would be nice.

Kofa

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 3:54 am

We're all in the same boat brother. I refresh metabone's site at least 10x a day waiting for them to announce their EF to MFT speedbooster. With the speedbooster and the sigma 18-35mm 1.8, that's the only lens you'll ever need.
@kofaboyah
kofaboyah.com

Worzel Gummidge

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 4:20 am

Latest email from Metabones is: "we are working on it".....the same email from them 12 months ago :lol:

michaelxbarakat

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 5:01 am

It'd be a shame if they don't release an EF mount for the BMPCC. Already 500 bucks for the speedbooster, and then another 500-1k for a nikon lens.

Jules Bushell

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 9:07 am

michaelxbarakat wrote:It'd be a shame if they don't release an EF mount for the BMPCC. Already 500 bucks for the speedbooster, and then another 500-1k for a nikon lens.

Its been said that the EF to MFT speed booster will be available Feb 2014. Not long to wait. Probably wait longer to get your BMPCC, especially in Europe.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

michaelxbarakat

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 2:07 pm

Jules Bushell wrote:
michaelxbarakat wrote:It'd be a shame if they don't release an EF mount for the BMPCC. Already 500 bucks for the speedbooster, and then another 500-1k for a nikon lens.

Its been said that the EF to MFT speed booster will be available Feb 2014. Not long to wait. Probably wait longer to get your BMPCC, especially in Europe.

Jules

Jules thanks for the reply mate, sorry you haven't gotten your BMPCC, I ordered mine from B&H and it arrived a week later! Thanks for the information! Can you tell me where you found this information so I can read up on it?

Mac Jaeger

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 3:08 pm

Pocket cam owners are good at waiting...

I'm sure they are hard working on the EF speed booster, they surely know how many excellent canon lenses there are, and probably half of the pocket cam owners have some canon lenses they would like to put on their camera. Metabones surely don't want to miss that market...

This time I'm glad my father gave me that old nikon SLR when i was a boy - i've been a nikon user ever since. I only regret that i gave away so many "old" F-mount lenses far too cheap a couple of years ago when i went fully digital.

Elliott Mariess

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 4:18 pm

dying to get one on my camera so many more options, it's like having your lens bag doubled. hurry up canon adapter!
mariess.co.uk

Return to Cinematography