Misinformation about BMPCC?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

gronk33

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 9:02 pm

Hi there,

I've been considering purchasing the BMPCC. However I just saw this posted on Amazon. Is it correct?

"It eats through batteries, the video out of the micro-HDMI is progressive, it only uses 62GB 95mb/s SD cards .... then when you go to dump the data, you HAVE to go through Davinci Resolve, color correct, then go to your nle software (yes, Blackmagic thinks that is the proper work flow as if its only natural to want to color correct every frame you shot and not just the frames in your final edit) then you have to re-format the card in the computer utility EVERY TIME or the camera doesn't recognize the card. Yes, great camera for the price, but you need to put in an extra $2000 to get it up to production standards and then there is the extra steps and time in the work flow (which doesn't flow at all)"

Thanks to anyone who can clarify. My hope is that I can bring the footage into Premiere before color correcting it.

Ted

adamroberts

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 9:19 pm

Well. First it's a "cinema" camera. Not an ENG camera. If you are looking for lightweight files that need no post production you are probably looking at the wrong camera.

While much of what is stated is true it's also only half of the story.

Batteries in the BMPCC last about 50min. Enough to fill a 64GB card with RAW data.

Batteries are cheap. Buy 3 or 4. Problem solved. Or add an external battery system.

If you want to record RAW you will need the 64GB SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s card. Why that is seen as an issue is beyond me. If you want high data rates you'll need media that can deal with it.

You can shoot ProRes in 2 modes. Film (a log type image) or Video (a REC709 image, like other HD cameras). You can record ProRes on "cheaper" 45MB/s Sandisk Extreme cards.

RAW needs to be processed. It's like a film negative. You would work in an "online/offline" workflow that is very common in high end productions. You simply export proxies from Resolve or via After Effects (or other work flows of your choice).

Then edit an you then grade only the clips that are in your final edit. Yes it's more complicated than shooting on a DSLR and editing, colour correcting and exporting in your NLE but this is part of the process and how you get the most from shooting RAW.

adamroberts

Re: Misinformation about BMPCC?

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 9:23 pm

The comment about formatting cards is a non issue. You have to connect to your computer to dump footage, once you are done it take a few seconds to format the card. Same amount of time as going through menus on a camera.

In its simplest form the camera can shoot out of the box. Simple attach a lens and insert a formatted card. You can make it as complex as you like from there.

gronk33

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 11:30 pm

That's incredibly helpful Adam. Thanks very much - you've put my mind at ease.

And it's probably bad etiquette to bring up another subject in the same post but what relatively cheap 4/3 lens would you recommend starting with? I realize the answer probably depends on what I'm doing with the camera.

Specifically I'm just an enthusiast - I make movies with my kids where we integrate CG for kicks. So I do matchmoving with Syntheyes, animation with Maya, rendering with Vray, etc. I've been using a Vixia HV30 for a long time and the allure of video camera which shoots high dynamic range is too much to resist. However I've never dug into lenses (since I've never had that option with the cameras I've used).

maxotics

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 12:18 am

I had a Panasonic 14mm pancake, which is very nice, but anything longer starts to show camera-shake, if handheld. I just bought a 14-45mm with an external IS button (Mega O.I.S.), and that seems to work very well with the BMPCC. I can get a nice steady shot even at full zoom.

A negative of the lens is that I don't believe it's para-focal, and even if so, it doesn't zoom smoothly. That is common for non-professional lenses. However, camcorders don't have that problem, just so you know.
Max Rottersman
Cambridge, MA, USA
maxotics.com flickr.com/maxotics vimeo.com/maxotics

gronk33

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 1:52 am

Great advice on the lens. Thank you!

MikeMeagher

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 4:40 am

Adam is spot on.. this is not a run of the mill video camera. its a "cinema camera" and that is a different ball game, a different mind set is required and also post workflow is required to appreciate this camera. If someone wants instant gratifiction from this camera's video.. they will be let down.
Its a box, with a great sensor, great recording format, and can use MFT lenses. Otehr than that, not much else. A few tricks here n there, but its WAY cheaper than any RED camera or any Sony or Canon cinema grade camera. This is not your camera for instant gratification, e.g. for taking christmas morning videos of the kiddos; it does requires some Post production efforts to yield what the camera is capable of. I love this little camera. Audio is iffy, but so are most cinema cameras too. Get a handful of WASABI batteries, they last longer, and a Bescor BMLION battery pack and adapt the plug.. Figure on using most lenses "manually" as the auto stuff in this camera is not like a traditional video camera. Autofocus does not track the image.. and exposure is set manually.
Yes.. you have to put some $ into accessories.. just like any other "cinema" camera does. I am using Avid Media composer to edit, and Resolve Lite for color grading, and have finally fine tuned my workflow to a point that I can get watchable video pretty fast.
I think that too many people confuse the fact that althought this camera is small, that it should shoot like a cellphone or consumer grade camera. Its a cinema camera, and thus needs the accessories, post production efforts to get the most out of it. You'll need to decide if thats the path you want to take.
Mike Meagher Filmmaker
Win10 64 pro I7 6core ASUS X99 64 GB RAM
M.2 system drive.
2x SSDs in Raid0 cache.
3x 7200 HHDs in raid0 as video source storage
Two EVGA1080TI cards 422.19 Studio
Decklink MiniM 15.1 4K HDMI to BENQ WS271
Resolve 16.1 studio

Worzel Gummidge

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 4:57 am

Be aware that Adam is an advocate of anything, no matter if its of no value.

Larry Sullivan

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 5:22 am

What's this card formatting nonsense. I don't have to do that at all. Pop in my usb card reader on my computer and offload, pop out and back in the camera and start recording.

Paul Kapp

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 5:33 am

adamroberts wrote:Well. First it's a "cinema" camera. Not an ENG camera. If you are looking for lightweight files that need no post production you are probably looking at the wrong camera.
While much of what is stated is true it's also only half of the story.

Adam, thanks again for your informed, sane and balanced opinion which I value very much.
I've wanted to tell you that for a while and now seems like a good time.

Paul Kapp

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 5:37 am

stylz wrote:What's this card formatting nonsense. I don't have to do that at all. Pop in my usb card reader on my computer and offload, pop out and back in the camera and start recording.

+1

Misinformation is right.
I have 2 cards which I have used about 10 times each.
I've never had to format them and I've had and no issues yet.
I just copy to my pc then erase the card.

I don't have to use Resolve, but it is the leading colour grading software in Film & TV.

The internal batteries enable a lightweight camera, and make external batteries hot swappable.
Otherwise, get an external battery.

It will cost more to rig it as a production camera, but this is a choice.
The sensor rivals high end camera sensors.
It comes in a diminutive body, don't mistake it for a toy though.

adamroberts

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 6:37 am

gronk33 wrote:That's incredibly helpful Adam. Thanks very much - you've put my mind at ease.a

Pleasure.

gronk33 wrote:And it's probably bad etiquette to bring up another subject in the same post but what relatively cheap 4/3 lens would you recommend starting with? I realize the answer probably depends on what I'm doing with the camera

As a starter lens I would grab a used Panasonic 14-45mm (the one with the OIS switch on the side). Can be had for around £60-£80.

I have one and it's a nice match for the camera. Not much use in low light but it's cheap, light, has a good usable zoom range and it's got OIS.

You won't find and cheap par focal (stays in focus as you zoom).

You can always expand from there once you are comfortable with the camera and have a better idea of your needs.

Just remember that auto focus on this camera is slow and not something you would want to rely on. It's not a handycam. :-)

adamroberts

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 6:38 am

Pablito wrote:Adam, thanks again for your informed, sane and balanced opinion which I value very much.
I've wanted to tell you that for a while and now seems like a good time.

Cheers for that. Glad to be of some help.

Frank Glencairn

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 7:07 am

I never got this obsession with battery life and recording space on SDcards/SSDs.

I mean, how long does it take to pop in an other battery or card?
Does the 15 seconds it takes, really slow someone down so much, that it becomes an issue or even a deal breaker?

When I was shooting film, we had to change the mag every 10 minutes :roll:

Actually, I think when you come from a film background, you don't really miss anything on the BM cameras. It' a $50000 image for 2000 or even 700 bucks. Not more and not less.
But when you are used to ENG/Consumer/DSLR cameras, you quickly realize that the BMCs need a different workflow and mindset. Price and form factor makes a lot of folks think they are point and shoot gear, but they are not.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Chiaroscuro

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 7:27 am

Just to be clear: "formatting" the card doesn't mean writing zeros to the card and so literally blanking the card. Here the header is simply re-written and the card would then behave as if it was a new card. This is at least what happens if one uses Disk Utility in Mac OS X and Partition the card with 1 partition (HFS+ and GUID partition table).

And I've also been using a 16 GB 80MB/s (60MB/s write speed) SanDisk Extreme card (not Extreme Plus branded) without ANY dropped frames in ANY mode for a lovely 04:30 of raw recording!
Jaco Spies
Visual Artist

Chiaroscuro

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 8:22 am

Chiaroscuro wrote:And I've also been using a 16 GB 80MB/s (60MB/s write speed) SanDisk Extreme card (not Extreme Plus branded) without ANY dropped frames in ANY mode for a lovely 04:30 of raw recording!

And just to clarify myself: I'm on holiday at the moment and the above mentioned card was the best I could get in this area where I'm at. From the get go the "REC" moniker alternates with "CARD FULL" although it only stops recording after 4.5 minutes with 1.62GB left on the card.

AMANDLA!
Jaco Spies
Visual Artist

Sprocket Scientist

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 8:39 am

Pablito wrote:
stylz wrote:Misinformation is right.

It's never an issue until the one crucial time you get dropped frames and you have to explain to clients or cast/crew why you made the decision not to go with the officially approved SD card (or the recommended formatting procedure)

Paul Kapp

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 12:37 pm

Sprocket Scientist wrote:
Pablito wrote:
stylz wrote:Misinformation is right.

It's never an issue until the one crucial time you get dropped frames and you have to explain to clients or cast/crew why you made the decision not to go with the officially approved SD card (or the recommended formatting procedure)

Gotcha
Thanks.

Return to Cinematography