Sensor spec 4 4K closer to APS-C than Super35, lenses??

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Joel Peck

Sensor spec 4 4K closer to APS-C than Super35, lenses??

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 3:25 pm

I was thinking I should buy full frame lenses to work with the larger sensor in the 4k (when it's available) but the specs listed on the BM site say 21.12x11.88mm which is smaller than APS-C and much smaller than the 24.89x18.66mm of super35? Still the super35 is much smaller than full frame at 36x24mm,

Any one have suggestions on lenses I could use with both the BMCC and the 4k. I realize the crop would be different but it looks like staying with APS-C lens will do the trick??
thanks

rick.lang

Re: Sensor spec 4 4K closer to APS-C than Super35, lenses??

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 8:27 pm

dbx410 wrote:I was thinking I should buy full frame lenses to work with the larger sensor in the 4k (when it's available) but the specs listed on the BM site say 21.12x11.88mm which is smaller than APS-C and much smaller than the 24.89x18.66mm of super35? Still the super35 is much smaller than full frame at 36x24mm,

Any one have suggestions on lenses I could use with both the BMCC and the 4k. I realize the crop would be different but it looks like staying with APS-C lens will do the trick??
thanks

Yes, the sensor in the BMPC4K is smaller than APS-C and larger than micro four thirds. So Canon APS-C lenses and Nikon DX lenses will work fine. The one advantage of the slightly smaller sensor is that often stills lenses are not as 'good' in the corners on a real APS sensor, but their corners on the BMPC4K will look much better since the lens' image circle spills over the sensor boundaries.

So pretty much any EF/EF-S lens will work on the BMPC4K EF and BMCC EF. As you know the BMCC MFT will also work with micro four thirds lenses too but care is needed since distortion correction and electronic controls are not supported on the passive mount of the BMCC MFT.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Joel Peck

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 10:27 pm

Thanks for your response,

Yes, all EF or EF-S will work fine. And the little smaller than APS-C can work to help with the edges in less expensive lenses and even good wides at some apertures in EF-S. I guess my question is really whether it's a good idea to buy EF (full frame) lenses for these cameras because the crop will be so great. Way more than the little bit to help with edge issues?

Nothing wrong with using full frame lenses, I have a number of full frame primes.
I guess I was just thinking out loud here that unless there is a particular lens I want that is available in EF after seeing that the 4k which I have on order is not super35 and actually smaller than APS-C then I should stick with EF-S lenses for these two cameras.

Just thought I would throw it out and see if anyone with more experience with the BMCC than I have, has any feedback on this. Perhaps the spec on the BM site is somehow calibrated in a way that it is really a full super 35. I don't know that's another reason why I posted this question.

On a side note: If the spec is relative to the standard, then why is BM calling the smaller than APS-C on the 4k which is much smaller than super35, super35, marketing?

Maybe someone at BM can answer these questions for us?

rick.lang

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 5:33 am

dbx410 wrote:...
On a side note: If the spec is relative to the standard, then why is BM calling the smaller than APS-C on the 4k which is much smaller than super35, super35, marketing?

Maybe someone at BM can answer these questions for us?

I've drawn attention to that sensor exaggeration since the BMPC4K was launched. At NAB2013, the early references by Grant Petty were to a 35mm sensor size which is a reference to the original Academy 35mm format and not Super 35mm film. The sensor size is very close to that original Academy 35mm size. Why the web pages and most BMD reps pronounce their sensor as S35 is because that's what marketing has told them to say.

Rather sad. I recently reread a bunch of their web pages and it is amazing how cavalier they are about the facts and reality. Still love the products and the vision, but I'd clean up their reality distortion field if I was in charge, believing honesty is the best policy. We are used to businesses whose ad copy paints a very favourable view of their products so I understand BMD is not alone. And BMD has company with other vendors who also claim their sensors are S35 when they are not. Nothing too serious as they do publish the sensor specs and the discerning reader can draw their own conclusions.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Rohan Dadswell

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 6:44 am

A 50mm lens is a 50mm lens - you'll get the same image size from a 50mm designed for fullframe stills as you would from a APS-C 50mm lens or even a super 16 50mm lens (most will cover a S35 frame).

The 'crop factor' idea was a good concept when first thought of at the dawn of DSLRs but now creates no end of confusion.

I'd go fullframe if you've got the money - only because in the future you may end up changing cameras to a fullframe body so at least you'll have lenses that work.
Rohan Dadswell - Rotating Head Productions
Lighting Cameraman
Canberra, Australia

Joel Peck

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 2:33 pm

Thanks, that was my original thinking when I though the 4k was S35, and your right it still makes sense for the future, plus the full frame lenses usually are better quality. If you have the $$ of course.

I thought it was a marketing ploy myself. I agree honesty works better for me. And this issue is not as important in this case because as you say the specs are listed, but in my experience so far with BMD I would ask them to consider the resellers and buyers business needs somewhere near their own, at least where they can. In the end I believe looking out for your customers interests is a good business practice that pays back in the end. I agree good products for the price, and great vision. But, very questionable on some business practices.

Return to Cinematography