Firmware 8.6 for URSA Mini Pro Cameras?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

timbutt2

Firmware 8.6 for URSA Mini Pro Cameras?

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 11:52 pm

This firmware is pretty awesome!!! I hope that this can make its way over to the URSA Mini Pro cameras. Obviously the 12K and 12K OLPF should get it. But maybe even the 4.6K G2 could get it along with Color Science Gen 5? Please?!
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

WahWay

Re: Firmware 8.6 for URSA Mini Pro Cameras?

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 am

You got two hopes. Bob Hope and No Hope :D

Sean van Berlo

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 am

I've shot on Blackmagic for the last decade but it's laughable how their top of the line cameras are left in the dust when it comes to support.

Robert Niessner

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am

Sean van Berlo wrote:I've shot on Blackmagic for the last decade but it's laughable how their top of the line cameras are left in the dust when it comes to support.

I think it shows which camera lines are the money makers and which aren’t.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Sean van Berlo

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 am

Yeah obviously, but I don't know if I'd recommend my company to buy a Ursa 12k G2 when it comes out, because the support has been AWFUL.

Robert Niessner

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 am

Sean van Berlo wrote:Yeah obviously, but I don't know if I'd recommend my company to buy a Ursa 12k G2 when it comes out, because the support has been AWFUL.

Same reason why I didn't buy one (and because no ProRes, no CFexpress slots). And no BMD Care to buy. When a PCC4k breaks I can gobble up the cost (in fact I have a spare body just in case), when a UMP12k breaks after warranty period - I have to cry.

In fact my vendor told me that he got told by BMD reps that customers shouldn't complain if a UMP camera can't get repaired after warranty - because prices are sooo low anyway.
Well - no money from me then. I hate throw-away stuff.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

rick.lang

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm

From a business perspective, one hopes that the depreciation taken on the item and that the earnings the item generated more than cover the costs of the item. Once in a while unfortunately an item may fail before that but for the great majority the cameras continue to function well beyond their break even point. That said any sudden loss is regrettable.

The best reason for acquiring a new camera is the superior functionality that provides new options and improved results.
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 pm

I'm going to remain positive. The Pockets are good testing ground for this right now. But, remember the Broadcast G2 got some of these features as well. That means the URSA 12K models can easily handle the firmware. I'd hope the UMPG2 gets some love as it's newer (and, objectively more powerful) than the Pocket 4K and the P4K got this update.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Adam Langdon

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

downloaded the firmware... and it's great for the 6kFF!
The update didn't delete any of my LUTs, which was nice, but I also can't remember if it did on prior updates???

The ability to delete clips in camera is really nice. I would even say playback feels 'snappier' and faster than previous. All good signs. Wasn't sure if this was a feature before but...
- while in record-ready mode, you can touch the Card on the bottom of the screen and pull up access to the clips. ALL the clips. Even those filmed in different sensor size/crop you current are using. There's a cool little menu you can access as well, which you can sort the clips by "Date and Time" or "Scene" etc.

Again, REALLY hopeful for the next Generation!
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

Shawn Miller

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 pm

rick.lang wrote:From a business perspective, one hopes that the depreciation taken on the item and that the earnings the item generated more than cover the costs of the item. Once in a while unfortunately an item may fail before that but for the great majority the cameras continue to function well beyond their break even point. That said any sudden loss is regrettable.

The best reason for acquiring a new camera is the superior functionality that provides new options and improved results.

Agreed. It would be nice if the newer Ursa models got an update. But for most of us, these cameras do what we need them to do... and if they don't, we move on. I own an OG UM4.6k, it performs as expected and produces the imagaes I need it to produce - same with my other BMD cameras including the UMP12k. They consistently and reliably do what I need them to do. IF BMD extends the functionality of these devices through firmware updated, GREAT. If not, I'm not losing anything. Further, if BMD releases a new flagship camera that does everything my current camera does and more... GREAT, I'm still not losing anything. These cameras are as useful (to me) today as they were when I bought them. Then again, resale value isn't important to me... so I can understand if others feel differently.
Corporate Video Producer | Independent Filmmaker | Editor | VFX Generalist

Return to Cinematography