PYXIS 6K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Chris Leutger

Re: PYXIS 6K

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 2:31 am

After ignoring all this for a few years, I saw the flurry of activity around this camera. This was more along the lines of what I'd been looking for. I've been continuing on with my OG Pocket in the meantime and some work with (ugh) Sony. I like it, internal NDs aren't compelling for me since I use NDs in front my lenses. My only gripe is the confusion I have surrounding using a monitor since I have the VA 12G and, while that new viewfinder is pretty $weet, it'$ al$o pretty expen$ive.

This video with Dan May was interesting and explanatory. Always a balancing act:

I'm very interested, though this is making me wonder whether I'd be better off with the Cinema 6K and its viewfinder. Florent's work with that setup had me seriously looking at that camera. Then this dropped. I see rentals in my future.
Amateur Auteur

AMD 7800X3d 8c 5 GHz - GSkill DDR5-6000 (EXPO) 32x2
Nvidia 1080 Ti 8GB - WD SN850x 2 TB
Resolve 18.5 - Ubuntu 22.04

Uli Plank

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 3:22 am

I'd assume this viewfinder to be at least as good as the older model for the UMP 4.6K, and that one is worth every penny. I have compared it when it came out to Red's 'Bomb' viewfinder (hoping Nikon is giving up on such stupid naming) and it was as good for less than half the price.
That said, the one for the 6K Pro ain't bad either.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

WahWay

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 4:45 am

In interviews at NAB the things like internal NDs and flip out screen BMD admit they have all been considered in the Pyxis but left out because they felt it will affect the box formfactor and its customers will not want that. BMD sent its product manager there to get public feedback to develop the future direction of this camera so something will likely change with a gen 2 soon. When auto focus was mention BMD rep said it was something they are quite capable of implementing into their cameras but at this stage did not feel necessary but they are being asked that all the time.

ShaheedMalik

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 5:17 am

WahWay wrote:In interviews at NAB the things like internal NDs and flip out screen BMD admit they have all been considered in the Pyxis but left out because they felt it will affect the box formfactor and its customers will not want that. BMD sent its product manager there to get public feedback to develop the future direction of this camera so something will likely change with a gen 2 soon. When auto focus was mention BMD rep said it was something they are quite capable of implementing into their cameras but at this stage did not feel necessary but they are being asked that all the time.

With DJI Focus Pro being out, Auto focus is a moot point now.

Lexicon

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 6:00 am

"Stuart from Blackmagic Design explains in our interview from the NAB show floor the new PYXIS 6K box camera. We have a look at the new form factor, the new EVF, ask about use cases, differences to the pocket-line up and much more." (slashcam, Germany)

_celko

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 6:23 am

ShaheedMalik wrote:
WahWay wrote:In interviews at NAB the things like internal NDs and flip out screen BMD admit they have all been considered in the Pyxis but left out because they felt it will affect the box formfactor and its customers will not want that. BMD sent its product manager there to get public feedback to develop the future direction of this camera so something will likely change with a gen 2 soon. When auto focus was mention BMD rep said it was something they are quite capable of implementing into their cameras but at this stage did not feel necessary but they are being asked that all the time.

While nice for many use cases, and for sure getting much better in the future, the focus pro is currently still quite limiting. For me personaly, .5m focusing distance on spec sheets is absolutely too little, doing macro product shots for example.
Also CVP did a review, and even though DJI advertises it works even for very dark environments, the fx6 (or was it the burano maybe) still handled focusing much better. Exciting developments none the less, especially since it’s geared towards “normal” and anamorphic cine lenses, which tend to not have macro capabilities anyway.

On to the monitoring for the Pixys, maybe they could go the route of Freefly Ember with that viewfinder USB C port (from about 8:35 onwards
) I do however hope they bring out a new dedicated camera control monitor soon, possibly much lighter in weight than the video assists.

joe12south

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 12:09 pm

ShaheedMalik wrote:With DJI Focus Pro being out, Auto focus is a moot point now.

Unless you use haze, or there is fog in the morning air. Or certain materials. LIDAR is wonderful when it works, but it is easily confused...not really a replacement for PDAF.
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

joe12south

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 12:19 pm

_celko wrote:On to the monitoring for the Pixys, maybe they could go the route of Freefly Ember with that viewfinder USB C port (from about 8:35 onwards
) I do however hope they bring out a new dedicated camera control monitor soon, possibly much lighter in weight than the video assists.

Speaking of the Ember, I think that's more of the form factor most of us expect from a "box" camera. The Pyxis is more like a shrunken Ursa body. BMD really has a problem with right angles. :P

ShaheedMalik

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 1:23 pm

joe12south wrote:
ShaheedMalik wrote:With DJI Focus Pro being out, Auto focus is a moot point now.

Unless you use haze, or there is fog in the morning air. Or certain materials. LIDAR is wonderful when it works, but it is easily confused...not really a replacement for PDAF.

What L Mount lenses have Auto Focus?

joe12south

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 3:18 pm

ShaheedMalik wrote:
joe12south wrote:

What L Mount lenses have Auto Focus?

There are gobs of them. Lumix, Sigma, Leica, etc.
B&H currently lists 89 autofocus fullframe L mount lenses: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?q ... ame-lenses

WahWay

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 4:35 pm

ShaheedMalik wrote:

Even if the DJI Focus Pro is working 100% it does not mean we could ignore continous AF in camera. If I can get continous AF in camera without adding a motor, extra screen, battery and a Lidar I'm all for it saving myself money and the bother of setting it up and the extra weight.

Rakesh Malik

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 5:02 pm

_celko wrote:While nice for many use cases, and for sure getting much better in the future, the focus pro is currently still quite limiting. For me personaly, .5m focusing distance on spec sheets is absolutely too little, doing macro product shots for example.

Autofocus rarely works well in photomicrography anyway, partly due to the fact that such close focus distances even tiny changes in focus drastically alter the image. There really is no way to correct breathing at such magnification after all.

Neither of my macro lenses even has autofocus. I don't miss it on either one :)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

_celko

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 5:19 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:Autofocus rarely works well in photomicrography anyway, partly due to the fact that such close focus distances even tiny changes in focus drastically alter the image. There really is no way to correct breathing at such magnification after all.

Neither of my macro lenses even has autofocus. I don't miss it on either one :)

I hear you, and totally agree that for most parts autofocus is unnecessary in macro situations. Laowa 100m is the usual companion on our Ursa 12k. For specific, let's say semi-macro shots (top down shot of a watch assembly for example), autofocus has become a really useful & reliable tool for me with the R5. If only the R5 did braw on video assist, to playback smoothly in post that'd be great. :)

timbutt2

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 6:21 pm

If you want to get the L Mount Sigma lenses I’d recommend the DG DN ones as I have them in E Mount and they work great! Autofocus with the Sony is fantastic! So I’m sure L Mount is as good. But the question is whether the PYXIS can do autofocus on the same level as Sony yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Rakesh Malik

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 6:34 pm

_celko wrote:I hear you, and totally agree that for most parts autofocus is unnecessary in macro situations. Laowa 100m is the usual companion on our Ursa 12k. For specific, let's say semi-macro shots (top down shot of a watch assembly for example), autofocus has become a really useful & reliable tool for me with the R5. If only the R5 did braw on video assist, to playback smoothly in post that'd be great. :)

My macro lenses are an Irix 150mm macro and a Canon mpx65. (Good luck autofocusing with THAT one!)

I do remember seeing people try to autofocus macros with nothing resembling success.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

joe12south

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 8:26 pm

timbutt2 wrote:But the question is whether the PYXIS can do autofocus on the same level as Sony yet.

That's not even in question. At most, the Pyxis will have the same one time tap to focus as their Pocket cameras. if BMD had added continuous auto focus, that would be a headline feature.

timbutt2

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 11:39 pm

joe12south wrote:
timbutt2 wrote:But the question is whether the PYXIS can do autofocus on the same level as Sony yet.

That's not even in question. At most, the Pyxis will have the same one time tap to focus as their Pocket cameras. if BMD had added continuous auto focus, that would be a headline feature.

True. But, I can still promise that the quality of the Sigma Art DG DN Lenses are incredible! I love using them for stills on my Sony. So using them in L Mount on a PYXIS will also be really nice.

My favorite part of the Sigma DG DN prime lenses is the physical iris dial on the lens. And, it is declickable. So they are perfect for video purposes. Although the focus throw is still short like a normal still photography lens. That is what they are designed for however.

Uli Plank

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 12:50 am

I can only confirm what you wrote about Sigma lenses, Tim. I had the pleasure to shoot a stills project with the 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art lens, and it's really up there with the best, like Zeiss or Leica. And I don't mean lenses only branded by the latter, but made by them.
While Sigma was just another third-party brand in the last century, they have upped their game massively over the last twenty years.
And autofocus? It will be hard for BM to catch up with Sony or Canon in that field. If they could, they would have done it by now.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

timbutt2

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 1:09 am

Uli Plank wrote:I can only confirm what you wrote about Sigma lenses, Tim. I had the pleasure to shoot a stills project with the 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art lens, and it's really up there with the best, like Zeiss or Leica. And I don't mean lenses only branded by the latter, but made by them.
While Sigma was just another third-party brand in the last century, they have upped their game massively over the last twenty years.
And autofocus? It will be hard for BM to catch up with Sony or Canon in that field. If they could, they would have done it by now.
Yeah. Blackmagic has a long way to go and, they only added the L Mount last year. So working out autofocus with that protocol will probably take 2-3 years. But I think Blackmagic is so talented they could probably do it in a year and a half to two. But the BlackmagicOS will probably really shine with it.

WahWay

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 4:45 am

BMD rep say they are capable of adding continious AF focus but did not feel necessary to implement the feature at this stage. Its quite possible they were researching this a few years ago so for them to admit they can do it sounds like they are ready soon. It must have been a real bum for them during the pandemic when their much touted Atem Mini connected to their Pocket cameras cannot auto focus.

timbutt2

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 6:26 am

WahWay wrote:BMD rep say they are capable of adding continious AF focus but did not feel necessary to implement the feature at this stage. Its quite possible they were researching this a few years ago so for them to admit they can do it sounds like they are ready soon. It must have been a real bum for them during the pandemic when their much touted Atem Mini connected to their Pocket cameras cannot auto focus.

Well, if that is the case then maybe they can get Continuous AF into their cameras sooner than my 2-year prediction. Maybe they could do it within a year if they really wanted to. I'm sure that would make a lot of people happy who do ask for it.

Michel Rabe

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 9:34 am

I wish there was a poll option (not restricted to members).

I'd like to know how many people will not buy the Pyxis because the large, bright screen cannot be used for actual filming. Since BMD want to target YouTubers and Social Media creators, I'd imagine the fixed side screen is an instant turn off for them (and not just them).

Official Website:
"Blackmagic PYXIS has the professional features you need for feature film, television programming and documentaries, however now this same quality can be used to create cinematic content for social media, YouTube videos and more."

Frank Engel

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 11:49 am

As I understand the concept, a genuine "box camera" would not have a display at all - you would attach one where you want it.

Consequently the display on the PYXIS is a menu display from the get-go - one which happens to have the added benefit of mirroring the display of your actual (external) monitor when you are not using the menus.

Putting the menu display on the side means that it is not distracting an operator who is sitting/standing behind the camera and using their EVF or monitor of choice.

joe12south

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 12:04 pm

Uli Plank wrote:I can only confirm what you wrote about Sigma lenses, Tim. I had the pleasure to shoot a stills project with the 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art lens, and it's really up there with the best, like Zeiss or Leica. And I don't mean lenses only branded by the latter, but made by them

Indeed. My every day lens for my Sony A1 is the Sigma 35-70 - which causes me to get no end of jibes from A1 snobs that won't put anything but GM glass on their cameras. And my standard test lens for cinema cameras is the Sigma Cine 35mm because it is tack sharp, virtually distortion free, and no color cast. It's basically the most invisible lens I could find.

Uli Plank wrote:And autofocus? It will be hard for BM to catch up with Sony or Canon in that field. If they could, they would have done it by now.

Everyone would have said something similar about Panasonic 2 years ago, then, after years of resisting PDAF, they came out of the gate with cameras that competed with Sony and Canon's autofocus. Of course, BMD is a much smaller company, but so was RED, and they started implementing CAF long before they had access to Nikon engineering.

Michel Rabe

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 1:13 pm

Frank Engel wrote:As I understand the concept, a genuine "box camera" would not have a display at all - you would attach one where you want it.

Consequently the display on the PYXIS is a menu display from the get-go - one which happens to have the added benefit of mirroring the display of your actual (external) monitor when you are not using the menus.

Putting the menu display on the side means that it is not distracting an operator who is sitting/standing behind the camera and using their EVF or monitor of choice.

But this is all irrelevant for a YouTuber/social media creator. They won't buy the camera. Because they can't use it as is, even though a bright, large screen is right there, on it. But it's not usable for, well, creating.

Remember, BMD explicitly states that Pyxis is for YouTubers / Social Media creators.

joe12south

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 2:32 pm

Michel Rabe wrote:Remember, BMD explicitly states that Pyxis is for YouTubers / Social Media creators.

1. That's a bit disingenuous. That's ONE stated use for it.
2. "YouTubers / Social Media creators" are allowed to use external monitors. :D

ricardo marty

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 3:05 pm

Get the "Hollywood Look" with Digital Film!

Blackmagic PYXIS has the professional features you need for feature film, television programming and documentaries, however now this same quality can be used to create cinematic content for social media, YouTube videos and more.

You get the same features found on high end digital film cameras, allowing capture of deeper colors, higher image detail and a wider dynamic range between the brightest highlights and deepest shadows. It's the reason why feature films look so amazing and now you can get the same high end production values for any kind of work. Imagine shooting with large format digital film on low budget independent films, TV commercials or even corporate video!

Shooting Resolutions
6048 x 4032 (Open Gate 3:2) up to 36 fps
4832 x 4032 (Anamorphic 6:5) up to 36 fps
6048 x 3200 (6K DCI 17:9) up to 48 fps
6048 x 2520 (6K 2.4:1) up to 60 fps
4096 x 3072 (Super 35 4:3) up to 50 fps
4096 x 2160 (4K DCI 17:9) up to 60 fps
2112 x 1184 (Super 16 16:9) up to 100 fps
1920 x 1080 (1080 HD 16:9) up to 120 fps
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

ricardo marty

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 3:06 pm

Get the "Hollywood Look" with Digital Film!

Blackmagic PYXIS has the professional features you need for feature film, television programming and documentaries, however now this same quality can be used to create cinematic content for social media, YouTube videos and more.

You get the same features found on high end digital film cameras, allowing capture of deeper colors, higher image detail and a wider dynamic range between the brightest highlights and deepest shadows. It's the reason why feature films look so amazing and now you can get the same high end production values for any kind of work. Imagine shooting with large format digital film on low budget independent films, TV commercials or even corporate video!

Shooting Resolutions
6048 x 4032 (Open Gate 3:2) up to 36 fps
4832 x 4032 (Anamorphic 6:5) up to 36 fps
6048 x 3200 (6K DCI 17:9) up to 48 fps
6048 x 2520 (6K 2.4:1) up to 60 fps
4096 x 3072 (Super 35 4:3) up to 50 fps
4096 x 2160 (4K DCI 17:9) up to 60 fps
2112 x 1184 (Super 16 16:9) up to 100 fps
1920 x 1080 (1080 HD 16:9) up to 120 fps
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Michel Rabe

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 3:53 pm

joe12south wrote:
Michel Rabe wrote:Remember, BMD explicitly states that Pyxis is for YouTubers / Social Media creators.

1. That's a bit disingenuous. That's ONE stated use for it.

It's a target group they're explicitly trying to reach. Check the Pyxis homepage.

joe12south wrote:2. "YouTubers / Social Media creators" are allowed to use external monitors. :D

Of course they are allowed. But my guess is the vast majority won't, because they will never buy this camera. They'll look at the big, bright screen and ask themselves why they can't use it for actual filming and turn to one of the many other options on the market, some which have the same sensor but also swivel screen, AF ect and cost even less.

This is clearly a somewhat flawed V1 camera, something we have seen so often from BMD. V2 will be better.

rick.lang

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 4:17 pm

Ricardo, you can say that again!

Seriously, the Pyxis has at least one shortcoming for the YouTube influencer compared to some cameras that have a fully articulating monitor. I’ll concede that. Yes, you’re right that capability would have been nice to have for that shooter.

Now, please get real in your assessment of what a YouTube or social media influencer is doing. Do you really believe successful influencers are squinting into a built-in 4 or 5” camera monitor while addressing their viewer faithful? And that’s what makes them successful?

Sorry, you need to take a tour of Marques Brownlee’s studio. And it is a real studio, not a corner of a cramped area off the kitchen in his basement bed-sitting room. MKBHD knows his stuff and has certainly heard the you can have a comfortably large external monitor attached to a capable camera. Marques may be the class leader but there’s a very long list of uber successful and technology capable YouTubers out there.

My wife’s Irish exercise guru has about two million ultra faithful paid subscribers and has managed to stay engaging and sincere in creating a worldwide community that enjoy her punishing workouts. Her show looks like she understands technology more than someone who finds the Pyxis an incomplete and unworthy camera because it useless for YouTubers because there’s an only a side-facing monitor.

Apologies for the uncharacteristic vituperative rant, but I do hope that people will recognize this shortcoming of the Pyxis isn’t going to doom their box camera for social media content creators. If BMD can manage to correct this shortcoming in the future, great. But even if they do, Marques Brownlee could care less.
Rick Lang

joe12south

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 4:27 pm

Michel Rabe wrote:t's a target group they're explicitly trying to reach. Check the Pyxis homepage.

"A" target. Not "the" target. Important distinction. You're cherry picking the end of a a long sentence:

"Blackmagic PYXIS has the professional features you need for feature film, television programming and documentaries, however now this same quality can be used to create cinematic content for social media, YouTube videos and more." (emphasis mine)

Just like every other camera BMD has made, if you simply must force it into a category, it's a budget cinema camera.

I'd prefer no screen at all and more mounting points. Others would prefer a flip screen. Others would prefer a screen on top. Regardless, the Pyxis form factor is versatile enough to be used in a very wide set of applications. Trying to limit camera X for use case Y is silly. People will decide for themselves how they want to use the camera. (I use my Sony A1 for everything right now, including web calls, because it's the tool I have, and it works, not because some marketing copy tells me I can or can't.)

Norman Lang

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 4:32 pm

I wonder how people would react if the camera was released with the same side screen which only contained the menus. No live video or playback.
After all, this is the “cube-ish” format everyone wanted so they could build it out into a professional rig, with monitors, rods, matte boxes etc.
That would eliminate any criticism of the so-called mistake of putting a monitor on the side of the camera, because it’s just a very nice looking and very functional menu! Then people would not have to worry about looking at images on the side of the camera. They would look at their rigged up monitor! Just like every owner of a box camera has to do.

Norman Lang Langproductions.com Boston MA
BMCC - BMPC - BMPCC 4K - BMPCC 6K - BMPCC 6K Pro - MacBook Pro (M1) - MacBook Pro M1 Max 64GB - Adobe CC - Davinci Resolve

joe12south

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 4:52 pm

Norman Lang wrote:I wonder how people would react if the camera was released with the same side screen which only contained the menus. No live video or playback.
After all, this is the “cube-ish” format everyone wanted so they could build it out into a professional rig, with monitors, rods, matte boxes etc.
That would eliminate any criticism of the so-called mistake of putting a monitor on the side of the camera, because it’s just a very nice looking and very functional menu! Then people would not have to worry about looking at images on the side of the camera. They would look at their rigged up monitor! Just like every owner of a box camera has to do.

This person would have loved that. That space and cost could have been used for, say, built-in NDs or full sized XLRs or a variety of things I would have found more useful since I will 100% have to attach an external screen (either EVF or monitor) anyhow.

But that's just one guy's opinion. Overall, BMD got enough right that I'm buying in. I'm hoping that:
A. BMD or Portkeys or SmallHD makes a USB monitor with controls.
B. Tilta or Smallrig or Kondor Blue comes up with a protective cover for the side screen that is convenient to remove.

Robert Niessner

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 4:57 pm

I find the discussion really hilarious... :D

So many people have been whining for the last few years that BMD doesn't have a box camera (although they did with several models).

In the forum, someone had even demanded that BMD release something like this, because as buyer of a Pocket he would have the right to it (yes, the argument was actually that absurd).

Also the "cheap plastic housing" of the Pockets was repeatedly criticized - although this is one of the main reasons for the low weight.

Then comes a new camera in box form, instead of plastic now an aluminum/magnesium alloy.

Now people are complaining because the camera is too heavy. And because an external monitor would have to be rigged (if the camera - like the other BMD box models - had no monitor at all, there would have been no complaints?)

But if you rig the PYXIS with a sidegrip etc. for handheld shooting, then you're actually back to the pocket format anyway.

People used to moan about the LPE6 batteries, then about the NPF batteries, now you can use the 14.4 volt BP-U batteries - and people are moaning again.

With the C300, for example, nobody gets upset - the battery hangs in there in a very similar way. With the Sony FX6 you also have to retrofit the V-mount battery with a plate and holder - nobody gets upset.

Let's take the Panasonic Lumix DC-BGH1E (545g body only):
No monitor at all
XLR dock (optional)
Panasonic battery also in the back
No RAW <- correction, external RAW was added through a firmware update
MicroFourThird sensor 10.2 MP
no internal ND
Or the Panasonic LUMIX BS1H (585g body only):
No monitor at all
XLR dock (optional)
Panasonic battery also in the back
external only: RAW video data output for Atomos Ninja V / Blackmagic Video Assist 12G HDR
24.2 MP full-frame sensor
no internal ND

Or the Canon EOS C70 (1,190g body only):
internal ND
Super35 26.2 x 13.8 mm with 4096 x 2160px
no RAW<- correction, internal RAW was added through a firmware update
Body made of carbon fiber polycarbonate (The evil CHEAP PLASTIC!)
Canon BPA battery also in the back
two mini XLR connectors, 3.5 mm mini jack, on the left side of the housing
hardly any rigging points
only 1 HDMI output
no SDI
rather DSLR form factor
RF mount only (without lock)
3.5-inch screen, foldable, top left
no EVF

Or the Sony FX3 (640g body only):
external only: RAW via HDMI
E-mount only (without lock)
3 inch screen, foldable, left
no EVF
extra XLR dock on the top handle
only 1 HDMI output
no SDI
rather DSLR form factor
35 mm 4K 10.2 MP sensor

Or Sony FX6 (890g body only)
only comes with the evil BP-U battery
12G SDI output
HDMI output
35 mm full frame sensor 35.7 x 18.8mm 4.2K, pixel pitch 8.32µm
variable electronic ND, internal

Or RED KOMODO 6K (950g body only):
19.9 MP Super 35mm Global Shutter CMOS 27.03 mm x 14.26 mm 6144 x 3240 px
internal RAW
RF mount only
Screen on top, fixed
no XLR, only 3.5 mm jack
1x 12G SDI
no HDMI
2x Canon BP 7.2V battery
no internal ND

EDIT:
Corrected two camera feature errors brought to my attention
Last edited by Robert Niessner on Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

ShaheedMalik

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 5:19 pm

Exactly

Howard Roll

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 5:22 pm

As an owner of several cubes I can say that none of them have a display that I'd consider usable. Maybe the Komodo in Prism mode with a Hasselblad finder? Not a sustainable solution.

Speaking of, anybody remember this guy?

Good Luck

smallhd_smallhd_sidefinder_1137983.jpg
smallhd_smallhd_sidefinder_1137983.jpg (220.38 KiB) Viewed 5445 times

Michel Rabe

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 5:35 pm

If that screen would be adjustable, a lot more people would be interested - among them a new target group they're trying to address which they probably won't reach like this.

BMD wants to sell cameras, not just to the fans on here.

Btw, the BMD rep in the interview linked above imo pretty much suggests that version 2 will have a swivel screen and other changes ("I'm sure all these things will get debated out" - after being asked twice why the screen isn't adjustable if they bothered to put it on there).

ricardo marty

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 5:39 pm

Howard Roll wrote:As an owner of several cubes I can say that none of them have a display that I'd consider usable. Maybe the Komodo in Prism mode with a Hasselblad finder? Not a sustainable solution.

Speaking of, anybody remember this guy?

Good Luck

smallhd_smallhd_sidefinder_1137983.jpg
That's the side finder imop the best design because it was both a side monitor and an evf. Why did it not catch on?

Ricardo Marty

Robert Niessner

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 5:54 pm

Michel Rabe wrote:If that screen would be adjustable, a lot more people would be interested - among them a new target group they're trying to address which they probably won't reach like this.

BMD wants to sell cameras, not just to the fans on here.

Why are you so obsessed with that screen?
For handheld work you will need an external screen mounted on the top anyway. Or don't you think a 5" screen folded out to the left won't be in your way during handheld work?

Also - why should Youtuber buy this camera for filming themselves anyway? It has no autofocus, a very large sensor giving you a short depth of field...
Do they really change their camera system that often? If yes, then they can afford an external monitor too.

Any professional I know already got one or more external monitors, nowadays we have a broad market to choose from any budget point. I mean - I alone do own 4 external monitors.

I decided this camera isn't for me, too. But not because of the monitor, but because of the available frame rates - I need at least 50p. Everything else ticks a lot of boxes for me.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Michel Rabe

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 6:08 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:

I saw you vehemently defending the fixed screen not just on this forum, so I could ask you the same :)

I think it's a weird decision, crippling their sales, and when you look at the reaction anywhere online, I'm far from alone - it's the number one head scratcher.

But how about this, I'll stop attacking it if you stop defending it :)

timbutt2

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 6:14 pm

The URSA Mini has spoiled me. First the original UM4.6K and then the UMPG2.

UMPG2:
4.6K Super 35 Sensor
Up to 120 FPS HFR Full Sensor
15 Stops DR
BRAW & ProRes Recording Formats
Dual CFast 2.0 Card Slots
2 XLR Ports
12G SDI Out, SDI In, SDI Timecode/Genlock
V-Mount or Gold Mount Battery Plate
12-Bit ProRes 444 is possible!
Internal ND

Even if we got an URSA Mini Pro and PYXIS combination camera I’d be happy. Using the 4.6K to go to Full Frame: 6.5K Resolution. Say you got the 60 FPS Open Gate and 120 FPS in 4.6K S35 Window. That would be amazing.
But say you had that sensor in the UMP (Dual CFExpress) and a PYXIS Pro (Internal ND, Articulating Screen, & Micro V-Mount). BRAW & ProRes recording. You would make so many customers happy.

I know it’s not going to happen. But I’m simply saying that there is a midlevel camera between the current PYXIS and the UCine12K that would satisfy a lot of customers.

joe12south

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 6:23 pm

Michel Rabe wrote:I think it's a weird decision, crippling their sales, and when you look at the reaction anywhere online, I'm far from alone - it's the number one head scratcher.

Here's my guess into BMD's rationale:
- Our "OS" is very much designed for touch. It requires a fairly large touch screen, so the Komodo style mini screen is out of the question.
- People are likely to freak out if we REQUIRE the purchase of an external screen.
- The hinge we know how to make from the URSAs is chunky, and (probably) costly. We want to keep this small, and affordable.

In short, I think the idea is that the side screen is to be considered a luxuriously big touch control surface that just happens to also be a built-in monitor. BMD thought they were giving compared to a Komodo, but instead, many feel like they are taking away.

Robert Niessner

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 6:24 pm

Michel Rabe wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:

I saw you vehemently defending the fixed screen not just on this forum, so I could ask you the same :)

I think it's a weird decision, crippling their sales, and when you look at the reaction anywhere online, I'm far from alone - it's the number one head scratcher.

But how about this, I'll stop attacking it if you stop defending it :)

Michael, could you please quote me "vehemently defending the fixed screen"? Because I didn't.
We got those endless discussions with every camera BMD has released so far, like "weird decision, crippling their sales" and what not.

So far BMD has been very successful in selling cameras since 2013.

I would have nothing against a flippy screen. The question is - where to put it. With the camera on your shoulder the screen would be useless, regardless its placement. Shooting DSLR style it would be better on top, on a gimbal maybe better on the back. Shooting low it also is better on top. Shooting high on sticks you'll need an external monitor anyway. Shooting on sticks in eyes height you'll need to the left front.
It will be a compromise regardless where you put it.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Michel Rabe

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 6:25 pm

On Newsshooter.

Anyway I'm not interested in a fight.

Robert Niessner

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 6:28 pm

Michel Rabe wrote:On Newsshooter.

Anyway I'm not interested in a fight.

Then please quote me from there. I just went through my comments and can't see any "vehemently defending" - just correcting misconceptions like the power draw.

I am not fighting with you here - it is a friendly discussion among colleagues about pros and cons.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Brad Hurley

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 6:49 pm

joe12south wrote:In short, I think the idea is that the side screen is to be considered a luxuriously big touch control surface that just happens to also be a built-in monitor.

I wouldn't even think of it as a monitor: it's a control surface and a playback viewer.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

joe12south

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 6:53 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:
joe12south wrote:In short, I think the idea is that the side screen is to be considered a luxuriously big touch control surface that just happens to also be a built-in monitor.

I wouldn't even think of it as a monitor: it's a control surface and a playback viewer.

That's exactly how I'm going to treat it. My only "complaint" of it being there is that it removes rigging choices I'd prefer were there in its place, and that's a minor quibble. Hopefully it didn't add much to the final price.

Chris Leutger

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 7:37 pm

Interesting discussion. For my niche use, let's call it urban landscape documentary, I like the side screen. I'm on a tripod and viewing from that angle would work for me. Since I'm often in complex sites where tripod legs are splayed in complicated configurations, sometimes I'm moving the BM monitor to the side anyway. After seeing that video about the viewfinder, I'm starting to make my piece with the price and see that as a "down the road" purchase. I also see using it when setting up by using the screen to do my menu futzing then use the viewfinder for focus/filming.

When the Pyxis comes out I'll definitely be renting both the Pyxis and the Cinema 6K to decide on ergonomics. I was coming around to the C6K (BMCC6K? CC6K?) as opening up portability options that I haven't explored. The Pyxis makes me wonder about using it ENG style....
Amateur Auteur

AMD 7800X3d 8c 5 GHz - GSkill DDR5-6000 (EXPO) 32x2
Nvidia 1080 Ti 8GB - WD SN850x 2 TB
Resolve 18.5 - Ubuntu 22.04

Nathaniel Wright

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 11:31 pm

Chris Leutger wrote:Interesting discussion. For my niche use, let's call it urban landscape documentary, I like the side screen. I'm on a tripod and viewing from that angle would work for me. Since I'm often in complex sites where tripod legs are splayed in complicated configurations, sometimes I'm moving the BM monitor to the side anyway. After seeing that video about the viewfinder, I'm starting to make my piece with the price and see that as a "down the road" purchase. I also see using it when setting up by using the screen to do my menu futzing then use the viewfinder for focus/filming.

Very much agree. This camera has by far the nicest on-device screen of any box camera I'm aware of, and can be used as a live monitor if needed in a pinch of for special use cases.

All box cameras need external monitors attached to them. That's the whole point of the design. The idea of using the tiny screen on the Komodo, or one of the Z-Cams (do those even output a live picture?) for monitoring on location/set is ridiculous. The screen on the PYXIS looks great for controlling settings and playing back clips. None of the other screens on the box cameras that I'm aware of would be of any use in a clip playback scenario.

If you need/want the built-in screen to be able to rotate all around and used from any angle for recording, then you don't actually want a box camera.

Nick2021

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 1:59 am

Michel Rabe wrote:. Since BMD want to target YouTubers and Social Media creators, I'd imagine the fixed side screen is an instant turn off for them (and not just them).

Official Website:
"Blackmagic PYXIS has the professional features you need for feature film, television programming and documentaries, however now this same quality can be used to create cinematic content for social media, YouTube videos and more."

Can I just point out social media is full of professionally created media? Ads from every single company. Live streams like the one BMD used to announce the camera.

Social media today is more than teenagers posting .
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography