PYXIS and URSA Cine 12K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

RushboardUK

PYXIS and URSA Cine 12K

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 8:59 pm

PYXIS has every feature I have asked for in a camera, except one - I noticed it lacks a 4K 120fps recording option. I would, therefore, be greatly interested in 1440p 90fps mode in a firmware update. An interchangeable lens mount would've been better, but I'm not too bothered by the three models. When looking at designing a box camera concept, I envisioned an 8K model as well.

As for the Cine 12K... well yeah, it's out of my price range like any other URSA. That being said, I think Blackmagic could improve this with 4TB model; offering both 6TB and 8TB as optional storage.

RushboardUK

Re: PYXIS and URSA Cine 12K

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 1:24 am

A side note. On the PYXIS product page, the wireless camera control feature shows the camera mounted on a DJI Ronin variant - however, there is NO mention their gimbals support it! I have commented on this issue before with another Blackmagic camera...

I would ask the company please stop using marketing material that does not reflect actual use cases.

Donnell Henry

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 12:51 am

RushboardUK wrote:A side note. On the PYXIS product page, the wireless camera control feature shows the camera mounted on a DJI Ronin variant - however, there is NO mention their gimbals support it! I have commented on this issue before with another Blackmagic camera...

I would ask the company please stop using marketing material that does not reflect actual use cases.

On balancing It will work on the DJI RS3 PRO. On the DJI RS4 PRO. It will most definitely work. As for wireless, I wouldn't be surprised that DJI implements an update for the camera if there isn't one already. Since I'm an internet Rando here's back up on my claim of at least the balancing act. :D
GODS CREATE

Nathan_H

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 6:19 am

RushboardUK wrote:A side note. On the PYXIS product page, the wireless camera control feature shows the camera mounted on a DJI Ronin variant - however, there is NO mention their gimbals support it! I have commented on this issue before with another Blackmagic camera...

Pyxis is roughly the size of an FX6.

Wich balance just fine with a light small lens. RS4 PRO could get a bit more out of it, so I don't really understand your point ?
If you worried about batterys, there's tons of accessories to power the camera from the gimbal, or of an battery underneath the camera etc.

As for your other request, realise what Pyxis offers for 3K$
8K models are Red V-Raptor, Sony Buranos all at 24K$+ or either a Blackmagic 12K S35 that you can fit on a DJI Ronin 2 (I did it with a G2 and a zoom lens and some counter weight, it works just fine).

And hey pretty sure you could fit an URSA S35 12K/G2 on a RS4 Pro with a pancake lens and a proper rig, I'm sure the experience wouldn't be super great but pretty sure it works.

joe12south

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 3:43 pm

I don't think anyone questions it will balance. I think the question is about camera control.
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

Donnell Henry

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 8:23 pm

joe12south wrote:I don't think anyone questions it will balance. I think the question is about camera control.

Dji had implemented camera control in the Rs2 when I had it. It worked on my pocket 4k at the time albeit wired camera control. It's quite possible for them to do it. If it's not already possible. Blackmagic states they created an SDK for developers for the wireless control. I don't see anything misleading on the PYXIS page with the picture of the Dji gimbal. What I see is that it can be balanced by the pictures shown. Below is what they said about wireless control on that page. "This is directed at the OP. Not you Joe.

"If you're positioning the camera on the end of a boom, or in another hard to reach location, you can get full control via Bluetooth from up to 30 feet away. You can download the Blackmagic Camera Control app for your iPad or use third party apps such as Bluetooth+ or tRigger on your iOS and Android devices. There’s even a free developer SDK with sample code available from the Blackmagic Design developer website, so you can create your own remote camera control and digital slate solutions! Imagine building an app that can jam sync timecode and trigger all cameras to record at the same time. The possibilities are endless! "
GODS CREATE

Nathan_H

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 6:19 am

The camera is not out yet, the RS4 Pro is only starting to be delivered.
Give it a few month ;-)

Return to Cinematography