Panasonic Lumix S52X -- 6K ProRes HQ on a budget

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Panasonic Lumix S52X -- 6K ProRes HQ on a budget

PostSat May 11, 2024 4:55 am

These days, when it comes to cameras, we are spoiled for choice.

After researching it for weeks, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Panasonic Lumix S52X (or "S5iiX", or "S5 IIX", etc.). It has an L lens mount, and supposedly the same/similar 6K full-frame sensor as Blackmagic's 6K full-frame cameras. However, the S52X doesn't have an OLPF or built-in NDs.

In addition to being a competent 24MP mirrorless RAW/JPEG stills camera (which can shoot stills at up to 96 megapixels each via sensor shifting), it also has an unusually wide range of video recording features. It can record 10-bit 6K ProRes 422 HQ to an external SSD. It also has many H264 & H265 modes. Open gate & cropped modes. It can record BRAW when used with a Blackmagic Video Assist. Apparently it has very good 5-axis stabilization.

With its latest firmware update its autofocus appears to work quite well. It has a built-in EVF & LCD. It can record 96khz 24-bit audio. Panasonic sells an optional XLR audio adapter for it. Its fullsize HDMI port can output clean 10-bit HD or 4K. Its lightweight 740g/1.6 pound body sips very little power (5w) via an internal battery or any external USB-C PD source. On-screen tools such as waveform, vectorscope, zebras, peaking, etc. V-Log and custom LUTs. WiFi & Bluetooth. An internal fan prevents overheating.

I paid $2060 (a limited-time deal from Hunts Photo & Video) including the very nice Lumix 20-60mm lens, free shipping, and Panasonic's 3-year warranty. After it arrives next week I'll report back with my hands-on reactions.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: Panasonic Lumix S52X -- 6K ProRes HQ on a budget

PostMon May 20, 2024 3:20 pm

I received my Panasonic Lumix S5iiX camera last week (and I love it!), and today Blackmagic drastically lowered the price of the Cinema Camera 6K! What a great time to be alive! :D

There are advantages & disadvantages to the CC6K compared to the Lumix S5iiX:

• Both cameras have the same/similar 24 megapixel full-frame, dual-ISO 6K sensor.

• Both cams have an L-mount lens mount, and can use the same lenses.

• The S5iiX has excellent continuous autofocus & manual focus aids. The CC6K has temporary AF & manual focus aids.

• The S5iiX has 5-axis in-body sensor stabilization. The CC6K does not.

• The CC6K has an internal OLPF filter permanently mounted on the sensor. The S5iiX does not. An OLPF eliminates moire/color artifacts visible in extremely-fine, high-contrast details in both video & stills.

• The S5iiX can shoot 24 megapixel RAW/JPEG stills, and can shoot RAW/JPEG stills at up to 96 megapixels via sensor-shift. This hi-res feature works extremely well for relatively static scenes (such as certain landscapes & product shots). Due to its high resolution, its 96MP stills don’t have visible moire artifacts. The CC6K maximum stills resolution is 24 megapixels.

• The CC6K weighs almost twice as much as the S5iiX.

• The S5iiX can record up to 6K 10-bit H265 & H264 internally & externally (to SSD), and up to 6K 10-bit ProRes HQ externally to SSD, and up to 6K 12-bit BRAW externally to a Blackmagic Video Assist monitor/recorder. The CC6K can record up to 6K 12-bit BRAW internally & externally to SSD (no ProRes).

• The S5iiX HDMI port can output 10-bit 4K or HD video to an external monitor. The CC6K HDMI port outputs 10-bit HD only.

• The S5iiX includes both a bult-in EVF and a 3” tilt/swivel LCD. The CC6K includes a built-in 5” tilt LCD (its EVF is a $500 option, and its tilt LCD doesn’t swivel).

• The CC6K has 2 mini-XLR audio input ports with phantom power support. The S5iiX has a 1/8” stereo mini jack audio input port (its dual XLR option costs $395 and supports 96khz 24-bit audio).

• The S5iiX can power or quick-charge from any standard USB-C “PD” supply. The CC6K uses its own AC adaptor or 12V source, or can trickle charge from USB-C.

• The CC6K has the best menu UI in the world, period. The S5iiX menu UI is more complicated/confusing, but is more versatile & can be customized/simplified.

• The S5iiX and LUMIX lenses have a 3-year manufacturers warranty. The CC6K has a 1-year manufacturers warranty.

I probably missed something, but the above are what first come to my mind.

I suspect the reason Blackmagic lowered the price on the CC6K is because BMD got a big discount on the sensor from the manufacturer (Sony?), and possibly because CC6K sales slowed significantly when they announced their PYXIS box camera (which has very similar features & yet costs more). But those are just my guesses.

I think both cams are great, but I’m still glad I bought the S5iiX. Its features & lower weight are a better match for my needs. And I got a _really_ good bundle deal on the LUMIX lens(es) included with my S5iiX (final total: $2,119 with 2 batteries, a Lumix S 20-60mm f3.5-5.6 lens, and Lumix S 50mm f1.8 lens). And I bought a $49 SmallRig cage for it.

Horses for courses. More thoughts later; gotta run & go shoot 96MP stills with my S5iiX! Cheers.

Chris Leutger

Re: Panasonic Lumix S52X -- 6K ProRes HQ on a budget

PostThu May 23, 2024 8:43 pm

Thanks for the summation. That's very comprehensive.

I've been hemming and hawing over the Pyxis vs CC6K vs S5iix. It's a tough choice, the only thing I wish the BM cameras had was IBIS. Yet, with gyro stabilization, it seems that's less important, perhaps. The other thing is low light. I don't shoot at night much but I do shoot a lot at sunset through twilight.

Now, the current sale on the CC6K is adding convection to my decision making process. I haven't upgraded my video setup since I bought the OG Pocket on the $495 sale back in the day. I own the 5" 12G VA which means I could record BRAW if I went with the Panny. I do feel like there is something about BM and the ease of menu use that feels like it would be similar to the old Pocket if I went with the CC6K. I own a Sony A7RIV for stills so the Panny being more of a hybrid isn't that appealing. I have a full complement of Voigtlander glass for Sony so not switching there. The real push for a new video setup is that the battery connector for the Pocket broke so I can only use batteries (ugh) and I've had some issues with SD cards that used to work not working any longer which was solved by recording to the VA, but that connector is...worrisome. Feels like it's time.

Perhaps ye olde coin toss will make the decision for me. But I like how you think and understand the choice you made.
Amateur Auteur

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU/Ram 64.0 GB/Nvidia 4070Ti 12GB
Samsung 850 EVO/Windows 10 22H2 19045.4412
Resolve 18.6

Return to Cinematography