Adjust gain for external mic? -Blackmagic camera app

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

notsure

Adjust gain for external mic? -Blackmagic camera app

PostFri May 10, 2024 6:38 pm

How do I adjust/lower the gain input in the black magic camera app with an external rode mic connected via usb-c to iPhone 15 pro)? Everything is clipping most of the time.

kfriis

Re: Adjust gain for external mic? -Blackmagic camera app

PostSat May 11, 2024 11:24 am

notsure wrote:How do I adjust/lower the gain input in the black magic camera app with an external rode mic connected via usb-c to iPhone 15 pro)? Everything is clipping most of the time.

1. Please describe setup.

2. What Røde Microphone?

3. What settings in BlackMagic Audio?

4. What settings (if any) on Røde Microphone kit?

5. Have you activated “Display Audio Meters” in the “Monitor” settings?

5. Have you tapped on the audio meter to show the “level adjust” option?

General comment: When using USB-C as audio input, there is usually no standard way to adjust the “signal overloading microphone input circuitry or microphone capsule” due to too high sound levels (SPL’s) or bad settings.

Example: Røde VideoMic NTG (max output setting and setting 8 of 1 to 15). In 32-bit float or AAC makes no difference in this case. With no -20dB pad on the microphone, max (level 15) will overload the microphone with close mic use (overload indicator on microphone running wild). In very close use, the level setting is even impossible to get below “constant red” at the 10% level setting, and nothing in the world will alter the fact, that the microphone front, center and back has been overloaded, BEFORE conversion from analogue to digital output. At 8 and only “somewhat close” I can “handhold” in speaking distance and keep level just below yellow, if I’m keeping my voice very controlled and level below 10%. Any outburst, and the microphone circuitry will clip like mad with a light show from the clipping indicator in the microphone. -20 dB will help a lot, but you still need good microphone technique.

Mind you, even at the 10% level setting in the BM App, in the above example the actual microphone circuitry is mostly clipping wildly, BEFORE conversion to digital.

Another example: Røde Wireless Go II transmitters have a very low input “ceiling” compared to Røde Wireless Pro transmitters (in my use cases), and depending on use case - irrespectively of settings - the input can easily be overloaded if using a “hot” lavalier (or any other analogue microphone used to feed sound) combined with a “hot and enthusiastic” speaker, or worse a powerfull and well trained operatic voice “letting go” in an aria climax. On top of that, you cannot alter the level of the Go II RX (receiver) output. It makes no sense, if the transmitter(s) overload before conversion to digital. Same is the case with the Pro Receiver. Signals have to be set in the Røde App or on device. Not in the BlackMagic Camera App.

At this point I usually say: Read the manual!

Extreme example: If I use my extremely “hot” Røde NT1 condenser (max output 13 dBu), I even need a very solid audio interface, to handle some “unrestricted” female singers with powerfull voices, or far worse: an enthusiastic trompet player with good lungs; Zoom F3 or F6 will have to be switched from mic (with Phantom, max 4dBu) to line (with Phantom, max 24 dBu) in order not to overload input circuitry BEFORE the 32-bit float conversion.

Now this last example is reference only (I do NOT use BlackMagic Camera App in that “studio like” or controlled situation).

Microphone handling HAS to be controlled at the microphone mainly.

Assume, that volume settings on the digital side - “after” the USB C input - has little to no influence on microphone analogue side overload. Only on digital clipping (16-bit LPCM or AAC) in the actual recording. Using IEEE float level setting is not critical on the recording side, but microphone handling still extremely important!

Just to name a few examples.

Regards

notsure

Re: Adjust gain for external mic? -Blackmagic camera app

PostSat May 11, 2024 5:13 pm

I’m using a video mic NTG with iPhone 15 pro

This:

“5. Have you tapped on the audio meter to show the “level adjust” option?“

Was the info I needed, thank you!

Return to Cinematography