Mini XLR question

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

MikeCL

Mini XLR question

PostSun May 12, 2024 12:32 pm

I have a Mini XLR to 3.5mm cable but I'm using a comica VM20 I assume I need some type of adapter to be able to use the mini XLR port? using the 3.5mm jack is fine but I would assume the XLR port would be the better option?

joe12south

Re: Mini XLR question

PostSun May 12, 2024 12:54 pm

MikeCL wrote:I have a Mini XLR to 3.5mm cable but I'm using a comica VM20 I assume I need some type of adapter to be able to use the mini XLR port? using the 3.5mm jack is fine but I would assume the XLR port would be the better option?

Why? Unless there is a problem with the camera's 3.5mm jack?
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

MikeCL

PostMon May 13, 2024 12:58 am

joe12south wrote:
MikeCL wrote:I have a Mini XLR to 3.5mm cable but I'm using a comica VM20 I assume I need some type of adapter to be able to use the mini XLR port? using the 3.5mm jack is fine but I would assume the XLR port would be the better option?

No issue with the 3.5 jack I just heard the XLR is less noisy.

I just noticed that the input works but the level is super low but I noticed when the 3.5 on the mic is pulled halfway out the audio is super sensitive.

Btw I like your video on Youtube in regards of the testing of the Meke lens I have the 12mm already but looking for something in between.

joe12south

PostMon May 13, 2024 7:00 pm

MikeCL wrote:
joe12south wrote:

No issue with the 3.5 jack I just heard the XLR is less noisy.

I just noticed that the input works but the level is super low but I noticed when the 3.5 on the mic is pulled halfway out the audio is super sensitive.

Btw I like your video on Youtube in regards of the testing of the Meke lens I have the 12mm already but looking for something in between.

So, yeah, I think you're right, on the original P4K the 3.5mm jack was noisier. (I no longer use that camera.) You have to be careful with adapters as they can introduce more problems than they solve.

joe12south

PostMon May 13, 2024 7:01 pm

This adapter solved some problems for me taking 3.5mm microphones into an external recorder: https://deitymic.com/products/d-xlr/

Return to Cinematography