BMCC 2.5k EF noise problem

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

poolpy

BMCC 2.5k EF noise problem

PostMon May 13, 2024 8:58 am

I'm new to cinematography and especially with BMCC which I ordered the used one few years ago. Recently I purchased Tokina 11-16MM for my camera and I started test shooting. After test I had no problem shooting outside on daylight in RAW but whenever I shoot indoors image always looks rippled or with lots of noise on the image! Generally I set ISO to 800 or 1600 while shooting indoors and when outside, 200 or 400 which looks fine. My shutter speed is set to 180 by default and I change white balance between 3200K - 5600K depending on light.

Here is link to the image - https://ibb.co/7RCPc1L

Not sure about firmware yet on how to update it or check which version I have, but I will dig into it.
Is my camera damaged or I'm just not configuring camera options in the right way?
If anyone knows please let me know, Thanks in advance

carlomacchiavello

Re: BMCC 2.5k EF noise problem

PostMon May 13, 2024 8:24 pm

Original bmcc camera was not so low light oriented, and if you need 800 or 1600 iso noise and grain is normal.
I used for a feature film years ago and we light ever to use it at 400 iso.
It’s ok. If you want to update firmware to have latest firmware and compressed cdng to reduce space you need only a cable to connect to computer and a quite old firmware camera tool from Blackmagic Design website. It contain all cameras firmware and update to latest it can.
To be honest we talk about eleven years and I not remember what usb cable use that cam, seems micro usb but I’m not sure.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

ShaheedMalik

PostMon May 13, 2024 8:52 pm

You need to shoot at ISO 200 for outside and 400 for inside. If you don't have enough light, you need to use more light.

BrydeSorensen

PostSat May 18, 2024 10:05 am

It needs more light!
You should ignore ISO as a means of changing light, and just consider ISO "one setting" that always takes in the same amount of light. Changing ISO does not change the image or brightness when you consider a post production workflow. Setting ISO 200 and then bumping up exposure in post to ISO 800 is the same as setting ISO 800 on the set.

But you can use the camera ISO setting as an indicator for post workflow.
If you set it to ISO 200 and the camera shows your scene is too dark...then you can adjust aperture, shutterspeed or lights to get more light into the camera, but each of those adjustments have drawbacks.

Return to Cinematography