Custom Anamorphic Desqueeze

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

soulyah

Custom Anamorphic Desqueeze

PostSun May 19, 2024 7:49 am

Dear Blackmagic team,
whereas we are all very grateful for the anamorphic desqueeze options within the BMPCC 4K, 6K etc., many of us are using nonstandard anamorphic lenses these days (There are endless options out there as of today.). Would it be possible to implement a custom desqueeze factor with the next update? I'm considering buying additional Blackmagic cameras. But having to rely on secondary monitors for displaying a desqueezed footage is holding me back at the moment.
Best regards
Martin

thomas bruegger

Re: Custom Anamorphic Desqueeze

PostTue May 21, 2024 3:26 pm

plus 1
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch

Phil999

PostTue May 21, 2024 3:56 pm

cameras should adapt to the growing market of non-standard anamorphic lenses. I support this feature request.

Personally I'm lucky, the Sirui Mars set and the Pocket 4k are a good match since years.

Andreas Kaufmann1

PostWed May 22, 2024 3:32 pm

plus 1

Paul Jonathan

PostWed May 22, 2024 7:37 pm

John Brawley gave quite an insightful explaination as to why this might not happen in this thread https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=166906&p=1024900&hilit=anamorphic+desqueeze#p1024059

Not speaking specifically to1.5X (which I've asked for as well) but in general...

The processing that's done for the built in display and output, things like false colour, peaking etc is done by a seperate "computer" to the one that does the business of recording the sensor output and saving it as a file.

Anything to do with the display takes a lot of computing overhead because it has to do it in real time with no latency.

Each anamorphic setting has to have its own maths and they can quickly run into limits with doing that. It's basically doing a raw decode / demosaic in real time remember. I always thought variable scale that's user defined would be best (hey I used to do a very mild squeeze in telecine to make the actors look a little thiner) but I've been told that's pretty hard to do on the existing hardware. That said they're always upgrading the processors....and 1.5X is pretty common with 135 format / Full frame so....

JB

But yes, Blackmagic if somehow this would be possible I would be very interested in that as well! Seems like the new cameras have it.

soulyah

PostThu May 23, 2024 9:14 am

Thank you, Paul. Didn't know that.

Return to Cinematography