Pocket 4K not recording

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

BrydeSorensen

Pocket 4K not recording

PostFri May 24, 2024 12:12 pm

My pocket 4K camera sometimes will not record.
The timer switches from white to red, but does not start counting or recording.
I have to reset the camera to get operation back.

The error is periodic. It usually happens after using the camera for 20-30min. Then if i leave it for 5-10 min, it starts to work again.

It's not related to recording; it can start happen after some time without recording. So it is not SSD overheat.

It records to SSD. The SSD has been tested to 800MB/s+. It is OK in BMD test tool.
I have tried multiple USB-C cables. Currently using Tilta USB-C cable with cage clamp.

I have tried different batteries and external power supply, no difference.

It would seem like overheat issue, but i don't think this is the problem.

Could it be related to viltrox adapter? I don't think that should affect recording. I don't use AF through it.

It is difficult to diagnose this problem as it's periodic.
I've searched on forums, but nobody has reported the same issue or fix for it.

BrydeSorensen

Re: Pocket 4K not recording

PostFri May 24, 2024 1:16 pm

Managed to replicate the error.

The error happens also without the viltrox adapter.

Turning the camera off and on does not seem to solve the issue; the camera will just default to not recording on first try.

Funny enough, the issue seems to go away when i switch to Prores and then back again, rather than powercycling the camera.

rick.lang

PostFri May 24, 2024 1:26 pm

Good to know that hint. Another hint yesterday involved removing the battery while the camera is On.
Rick Lang

BrydeSorensen

PostFri May 24, 2024 1:44 pm

erh...yeah. I'm mostly worried about what's causing this error.

ShaheedMalik

PostFri May 24, 2024 6:49 pm

You never said what drive it is.

I will get and say it's a Samsung, so it's the drive.

BrydeSorensen

PostSat May 25, 2024 12:06 am

It's a 3000MB/s apacer NVME SSD in an Orico 3.2 USB-C enclosure.

I just tested it - 4K DCI, 60fps, BRAW Q0. Runs fine with no dropped frames from empty to full SSD.

But sometimes, the camera does as described in my first post.

I could try another drive. I need more storage anyway.

Interestingly, i also cannot format the SSD from the camera. It just crashes / takes forever. SSD formats fine from PC or phone. Maybe BMD is not so well developed on the USB side?

Uli Plank

PostSat May 25, 2024 2:08 am

The SSD may draw too much power. Try a regular SSD, like the T7 Shield (not T7!).
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b3 (sandbox)
SE, UltraStudio Monitor G3

ShaheedMalik

PostSat May 25, 2024 4:20 pm

BrydeSorensen wrote:It's a 3000MB/s apacer NVME SSD in an Orico 3.2 USB-C enclosure.

I just tested it - 4K DCI, 60fps, BRAW Q0. Runs fine with no dropped frames from empty to full SSD.

But sometimes, the camera does as described in my first post.

I could try another drive. I need more storage anyway.

Interestingly, i also cannot format the SSD from the camera. It just crashes / takes forever. SSD formats fine from PC or phone. Maybe BMD is not so well developed on the USB side?

You need an ORICO USB3.0 enclosure. The Pockets only have a USB 3.0 port. Lucky, you can get them for $7.
Both of these I have bought and tested.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BM9MZXF9?re ... b_ap_share

ORICO USB 3.0 to SATA III 2.5" External Hard Drive Enclosure for 2.5 Inch 7mm-9.5mm SATA HDD/SSD Tool Free [UASP Supported],Black(2189U3) https://a.co/d/fgZvSNN

These work perfect with a Crucial MX500.

BrydeSorensen

PostWed Jun 05, 2024 8:52 am

Swapped for a different body and my drives work fine. Guess the pocket 4K was just badly designed or maybe a slightly defective sample.

It's a shame that Blackmagic doesn't sell drives themselves. It would be very easy for them to do it. And it would avoid people wasting time troubleshooting the drive when really the camera is faulty / badly designed....hmmmm. :roll:

carlomacchiavello

Pocket 4K not recording

PostWed Jun 05, 2024 2:30 pm

BrydeSorensen wrote:Swapped for a different body and my drives work fine. Guess the pocket 4K was just badly designed or maybe a slightly defective sample.

It's a shame that Blackmagic doesn't sell drives themselves. It would be very easy for them to do it. And it would avoid people wasting time troubleshooting the drive when really the camera is faulty / badly designed....hmmmm. :roll:

It’s a shame that Blackmagic Design do from years approved list of ssd, cfast and sd, and people try casually supports and guess that are cameras the defect…

My irony is only be cause other producers don’t give you approved list also if they produce supports (Panasonic, my personal experience) and people don’t moan of that..

Go to support page, check the approved list, buy and approved support that you can afford and only in this case you can told a bad design or faulty camera.

Ssd chain is doing from different elements with different bottleneck
Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

ShaheedMalik

PostThu Jun 06, 2024 1:20 am

BrydeSorensen wrote:Swapped for a different body and my drives work fine. Guess the pocket 4K was just badly designed or maybe a slightly defective sample.

The camera only supports USB 3.0 due to the USB port used.

BrydeSorensen

PostThu Jun 13, 2024 1:54 am

carlomacchiavello wrote:

It’s a shame that Blackmagic Design do from years approved list of ssd, cfast and sd, and people try casually supports and guess that are cameras the defect…

In this case it was. I swapped the body and now the drive works fine.

Blackmagic puts in good work with the compatibility list, but it still goes back to the same point; the blackmagic camera relies on working accessories from other brands. This means blackmagic cannot control the user experience as well.
They don't control when another manufacturer makes a faulty batch or a controller revision. Or products on the list are discontinued or unavailable in regions.

In the same way that they have the camera and the editing software, they also need to offer CFAST/SD/SSD drives. It would be a little bit more expensive, but also a lot easier for many customers and avoid

Frankly i'm surprised that such a core part of the camera is not offered by blackmagic.

It is also not right to advertise the camera as being able to record to USB SSD's, and then not being able to use normal working USB SSD's because the camera has hidden power limitations (supposedly). Either it can or it cannot. That's why we have standards to define compatibility.
Last edited by BrydeSorensen on Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

BrydeSorensen

PostThu Jun 13, 2024 2:02 am

ShaheedMalik wrote:

The camera only supports USB 3.0 due to the USB port used.

USB 3.0 is now USB 3.2 Gen 1. The standards and naming changed.
Here's an explanation:
https://www.cablematters.com/Blog/USB-C/usb-3-0-vs-3-1

Return to Cinematography