switching to linear focus with L mount lenses

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Rometil

PostMon Oct 16, 2023 9:52 pm

Hi!

The question is basically in the title. With the new bmcc6k being in L mount, I wondered if it was possible to use the most recent sigma art lenses which are normally in focus by wire and switch them to linear focus (like you can do with the lumix s5iix for example).

If any of you guys knows the answer it would be of great help ;)
Thanks

rick.lang

Re: switching to linear focus with L mount lenses

PostWed Oct 18, 2023 1:22 am

Sigma ART HSM L-Mount lenses including their 24-70mm can focus manually as well as by wire… just rotate the focus ring.
Rick Lang

Jon Hustead

PostWed Oct 18, 2023 4:53 pm

Rick I think some of the newer mirrorless-only models are focus by wire even if you use the ring as they specifically mention linear/nonlinear focus in the marketing copy. Or, alternatively, if one was using a Panasonic lens that is definitely always by wire is that an option? I don't see anything in the manual, and I'd bet this is something that has not and will possibly never be implemented.
http://jonhustead.com

rick.lang

PostWed Oct 18, 2023 5:56 pm

Jon, I’m not sure what is happening inside the lens housing when one rotates the focus ring manually on those new Sigma L-mount lenses, but I don’t think there’s any limitations on which camera those new lenses are used as long as it’s L-mount. Or if an electrical contact is required to operate the lenses on a camera without electrical contacts if such a thing exists. But that may not be a concern given the BMCC6K L-mount is active.
Rick Lang

Jon Hustead

PostWed Oct 18, 2023 6:30 pm

It's not whether they work at all, it's whether you can switch between speed sensitive and linear focusing. Most focus by wire implementations are speed sensitive so you don't get consistent focus throws, but companies have started to make it so you can switch the focus sensitivity and whether it's linear or not, sometimes along with focus direction and total rotation from MFD to infinity.

I'm sure the lenses work on the BMCC6K, it's just whether you have access to the linear focus setting (or if it's on by default, which would be great.)
http://jonhustead.com

rick.lang

PostWed Oct 18, 2023 7:38 pm

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I think my brain is a little exhausted but no rest for the wicked.
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostThu Oct 19, 2023 6:12 pm

Here is a video that specifically addresses the manual focus of the BMCC6K using an L-mount lens:

According to this reviewer’s early impressions, use a manual fine tune of the focus may be problematic compared to the more predictable behaviour with his Panasonic camera’s settings that does address linear manual focus. He hopes BMD will update the camera firmware to offer a similar setting when using the focus ring manually.
Rick Lang

Howard Roll

PostThu Oct 19, 2023 7:34 pm

Better yet use fixed position on a non linear curve. Here’s a cap of an 18mm CP3. With manual lenses the bulk of the mechanics are dedicated to close up work. It’s a funtion of how optics work. With this lens 180 degrees of focus travel are dedicated to a 1 foot range from 13” to 25” and from 5’ to infinity you’re only working with about 20 degrees. It would be a cool feature to invert the physical characteristics of the lens and make the long end a little more granular.

Good Luck
E645A569-FE05-4E5D-9618-46C5F0863A7E.jpeg
E645A569-FE05-4E5D-9618-46C5F0863A7E.jpeg (347.69 KiB) Viewed 1757 times

rick.lang

PostThu Oct 19, 2023 11:29 pm

Howard Roll wrote:Better yet use fixed position on a non linear curve. Here’s a cap of an 18mm CP3. With manual lenses the bulk of the mechanics are dedicated to close up work. It’s a funtion of how optics work. With this lens 180 degrees of focus travel are dedicated to a 1 foot range from 13” to 25” and from 5’ to infinity you’re only working with about 20 degrees. It would be a cool feature to invert the physical characteristics of the lens and make the long end a little more granular…

I agree with this novel concept, Howard. My shoot last weekend needed to cover a stage area over 20m away and roughly up to 15m deep. My last focus mark is 20m on the Fujinon and I set the PD Movie focus thumb control to move about 300 degrees while the lens itself moves about a degree. Would be wonderful to have a setting on a lens that allowed longer throws for the farther focal distances. Three cheers for the PD Movie giving me that long focus throw.
Rick Lang

John Brawley

PostFri Oct 20, 2023 1:11 am

Howard Roll wrote: It would be a cool feature to invert the physical characteristics of the lens and make the long end a little more granular.

This is possible with modern follow focus systems from Preston and Arri.

“ The focus scale can be expanded or compressed by finger touch”

https://prestoncinema.com/products/product-info/hu4

“ Focus mapping to pre-marked rings uncouples focus scales of a lens from the focus ring of the handset and allows you to choose the best scale for your shooting situation (also: no focus rings have to be made during prep).”

https://www.arri.com/en/learn-help/lear ... system-faq

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

BramSmans

PostFri May 24, 2024 6:23 pm

Back on topic though!

Has there been any development or mention of something in the works to set manual focus options?

As stated in the review Rick linked to, other cameras can already switch between between linear & non-linear and/or set the ring rotation angle for linear focus.

Would love to know this before investing in a lens that might not be able to switch to linear focus...

philippp

PostMon Jun 10, 2024 9:50 am

BramSmans wrote:Back on topic though!

Has there been any development or mention of something in the works to set manual focus options?

As stated in the review Rick linked to, other cameras can already switch between between linear & non-linear and/or set the ring rotation angle for linear focus.

Would love to know this before investing in a lens that might not be able to switch to linear focus...

I also really would like to know this and can't find information anywhere. But probably will find out this week. BMCC6K and Sigma 24-70 Art II L-Mount should arrive this week.

Return to Cinematography