Ursa raw gamma

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Gavin_c_clark

Ursa raw gamma

PostMon Dec 14, 2015 3:35 pm

Hi,

I did try searching but couldn't find the answer

In the ursa manual it says to choose either bmd film or bmd film 4K gamma in resolve when working with raw files.

Obviously the 4K is the intended gamma but is there any technical reason as to why using the bmd film version instead would be a bad idea?

I've been playing around with my camera (v1) and not used it for raw before, only prores 444 and it would be advantageous to mixing in footage from my pocket and cinema cams. Viewing an hd output from deck link I can't visibly see any huge errors in this method but was wondering if there was

Many thanks
Gavin

James Parker

Re: Ursa raw gamma

PostMon Dec 14, 2015 4:28 pm

When I'm shooting with it and the bmcc in raw, I always choose bmd film for the ursa so that the 2 match together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J.Parker

Gavin_c_clark

Re: Ursa raw gamma

PostTue Dec 15, 2015 6:48 am

Thanks James

I can't see much of a loss by doing it that way- I transcode everything to 2k dpx and it's handy to only have to create one lut to match all of the cameras- grading the 4K raw I can't get a consistent 24 fps which gets quite annoying!

Cheers

Gavin

Return to Cinematography