Problems with riggin??

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jesuan Soriano

Problems with riggin??

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 7:44 pm

Sorry I'm here to rant!!! :)
I 've seen lots of reviews from important or influent people in this world of cameras etc. And i've seen lots of people commenting over the internet and my question is:

What is the f**king problem with riggin??

Those who run Alexas rig them
Those who run RED cameras rig them
Those who use DSLR rig them
In my opinion riggin a camera is a must to make it work properly and professionally...

so, why is everybody complaining about rigging BMCC just because of the external batteries??

Alexa needs external battery, RED cameras use(need) external batteries....HDSL have internal but they rig it so it's not a concern.....

I still don't get it...really I don't get why people complains about that!!!

Glossy screen is bad yes, but it's bigger and in the same position as an HDSLR, and at least you have hd-sdi to connect a monitor or a Evf.

Sorry i'm not saying BMCC is the best camera out there as it isn't, but come on it seems that everybody is trying to pull it down just for the sake of pulling it down.

And Davinci...people complains about using davinci....as if it was a condition tu run the camera...if you don't know the software just learn it or if you are a lilttle professional at least you have tried it and well it's quite intituive and you don't need to be a physic to make it work. Or simply use another tool you feel more confortable with. (DA vinci is a bif piece of software)

Sorry bout this post, as i'm not a fanboy, and sorry if i make any mistakes as english is not my mother language.

Jesus.
Jesus Soriano

Jeggintonfilms

Re: Problems with riggin??

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 9:23 pm

Jesuan wrote:What is the f**king problem with riggin??

Well that's the first time I've heard Jesus swear.
Filmmaker & Camera-operator
www.jontyegginton.com

Jesuan Soriano

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 9:27 pm

And it will be the last one!!!!

I'm very polite :)
Jesus Soriano

Eric Santiago

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 10:28 pm

I think most that are complaining are just complaining due to the lack of a BMCC to rig ;)

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 10:41 pm

Hi Jesuan: The amount of complaining about what are, in fact, kick *ss BMCC features is quite astounding really.

That's why I created the following thread for our amusement while we wait for our cameras:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=660

Cheers.

Jesuan Soriano

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 10:50 pm

hey guys thanks for the support, I thought I was the only one....

I find really strange the fact that everybody complains about needing a rig....it's something that I can't just simply get. Just because of the battery...Philipbloom shooted about two hours really beautiful clips with that camera, with just a lens and internal battery. So It is not run and gun then?? In his review hi proves it is...and then although he says it is a great camera, also complains about rigs...don't know if I missing something or just not rigging a camera is a new trend in this world.

Anyway...I know this camera suffers of crop factor and terrible rolling shutter (as they state), but saying that you need a rig is not a reason for complaining.

:)

Jesus

And peter i loved your post!!!! :)
Jesus Soriano

Theodore Prentice

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 12:30 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:The amount of complaining about what are, in fact, kick *ss BMCC features is quite astounding really.

Yup, but watch how many people jump on the bandwagon after this thing hits the market large scale.

This camera is a game changer.. no doubt about it.

mhartle

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 2:43 am

Awesome comment Jeggintonfilms!!! I need more of that in my day.

Hans Engstrom

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 3:30 pm

I rig cameras all the time in my line of work. I think the problem people have with rigging is that it´s a lot of things to buy and own. Some DOP own Alexas and 35mm cameras but I`d consider thoose cameras to be rental cameras and as such you rent the complete kit not just the body. The BMCC with its low price makes it possible for more people to own a really nice camera, the problem is that the accessories to build it into a complete kit is much more expensive than the camerabody itself. One positive side effect of this might be that the prices on accessories come down as there will be a higher demand resulting in bigger numbers of accessories produced.

Hans Engstrom
1st AC
1st AC
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1357950/

Jesuan Soriano

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 4:47 pm

yeah i know an alexa or RED are expensive cameras so the rigging itself doesn't look expensive, but i've seen a lot (if not all) people shoting 5d/7d/gh2, etc with a nice rig....and are more expensive cameras (at least 5d) so i don't get that complaining :)

and yes prices may be dropped as otherwise riggin will be really expensive, though i've seen "quite" cheap rigs

:)

I won't swear again

Jesus
Jesus Soriano

Return to Cinematography