BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Update

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

javier forza

  • Posts: 133
  • Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:34 pm
  • Real Name: javier forza

BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Update

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 4:33 am

I made the 7.3 update and I lost Iris information on BMPCC 4k with Canon 24-105 and Canon 40 mm, using Viltrox EF M2 II. I can't change the iris values.

I never have problem with others updates. Same lenses and adapter.

I tested in two cameras.

Any ideas?
Offline

Nick Heydon

  • Posts: 103
  • Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:41 am
  • Real Name: Hayman

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information Camera 7.3 Update

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 5:13 am

What firmware do you have on the Viltrox? I've not updated my camera yet, but I think only v2.3 is the one with the least issues on previous camera firmwares.

Maybe Viltrox will update their firmware soon?
Offline

javier forza

  • Posts: 133
  • Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:34 pm
  • Real Name: javier forza

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information Camera 7.3 Update

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 5:28 am

Hi Nick.

2.3 is the only that worked for me with previous cameras updates: Iris, IS - no autofocus, but I never use autofocus.
I will downgrade Camera Update, so I don't recommend the update if you need these features.

So sad for users like me waiting for a long time Gen 5.
Offline

javier forza

  • Posts: 133
  • Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:34 pm
  • Real Name: javier forza

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information Camera 7.3 Update

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 6:33 am

Maybe this is useful for other users.
I found a no elegant solution: if you press the release lens button a couple of times in front of the camera and when you see the iris value you change the aperture dial you can get iris information until the camera turn off. You have to do this combination fast. Is the same procedure as others mount and unmount the lenses.

I hope Blackmagic team can find a better solution soon. So, if you are in this bote, please make post, or bump this one about this problem to get attention. We need a normal funcionality of the camera promoted to be very capable to use different adapters and lenses.

By the way, I prefer downgrade in order to have full functionality loosing the latest updates.
Offline

Nick Heydon

  • Posts: 103
  • Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:41 am
  • Real Name: Hayman

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information Camera 7.3 Update

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 7:32 am

Maybe try updating the Viltrox. Perhaps their newer firmware fixes the iris issue?
Offline

eyedear

  • Posts: 19
  • Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:32 pm
  • Real Name: Young-Sun Teh

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information Camera 7.3 Update

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 7:54 am

I have updated from 2.3 to 3.5 which is currently the latest version and can confirm that there is NO IRIS, NO AF and NO IS working.
Offline

javier forza

  • Posts: 133
  • Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:34 pm
  • Real Name: javier forza

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 2:27 pm

Any version of Viltrox works with latest update.
I read Metabones has the same problem. And recently a new topic with Panasonic lenses report problems with autofocus.
Offline
User avatar

Johannes Jonsson

  • Posts: 176
  • Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 2:35 pm
  • Location: Iceland

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 2:36 pm

v3.5 om viltrox works with the pocket on v6.9.6.
Not tried v7.3 yet thought because I need gen 5 for UMP g2 before going on gen 5 on the Pocket.
Johannes
Offline

williamsanjaya1993

  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:31 pm
  • Real Name: William Sanjaya

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 2:51 pm

I got metabones speedbooster 0.64x and it works like a butter! smooth and clean :D

Just got a few problem with auto focus on some lens. Hope there is firmware update soon.
Offline

javier forza

  • Posts: 133
  • Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:34 pm
  • Real Name: javier forza

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 4:15 pm

Yeah, downgrade to 6.95 and cross finger with the new update.
Offline

DeCarlos

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:57 pm
  • Real Name: Carlos Padilla

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 4:42 pm

javier forza wrote:Maybe this is useful for other users.
I found a no elegant solution: if you press the release lens button a couple of times in front of the camera and when you see the iris value you change the aperture dial you can get iris information until the camera turn off. You have to do this combination fast. Is the same procedure as others mount and unmount the lenses.

I hope Blackmagic team can find a better solution soon. So, if you are in this bote, please make post, or bump this one about this problem to get attention. We need a normal funcionality of the camera promoted to be very capable to use different adapters and lenses.

By the way, I prefer downgrade in order to have full functionality loosing the latest updates.


Thanks Javier! it also enables IS
Offline

xchrisx

  • Posts: 44
  • Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:00 pm
  • Location: Hungary
  • Real Name: Chris Nowell

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 4:54 pm

Blackmagic, this serious issue should be corrected immediately
Offline

Pedro Ruiz Mateos

  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:45 pm
  • Location: Gran Canaria - Spain

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 7:28 pm

:cry:
Pedro Ruiz Mateos
Offline

javier forza

  • Posts: 133
  • Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:34 pm
  • Real Name: javier forza

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 9:10 pm

xchrisx wrote:Blackmagic, this serious issue should be corrected immediately



Yes, please... no 4 months again... some people said its a protocol information that depends from the camera...
Offline

Saint_xix

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:34 am
  • Real Name: Bogdan Yatsenko

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 12:28 pm

Same thing, also, i tried to update the firmware on viltrox speedbooster, after that, when i realised that it didn't work, i tried to roll back to earlier firmwares on the camera, like 6.1, 6.9.6, 6.9.5 etc, the iris is still gone, and im pretty much desperate with it, good i don't have any videoshoots nex couple of days.

Really hope that they will fix this issue
Amd ryzen 2700
32gb ram 3000hz
RTX 2060 super 8gb
Offline

javier forza

  • Posts: 133
  • Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:34 pm
  • Real Name: javier forza

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 9:31 pm

DeCarlos wrote:
javier forza wrote:Maybe this is useful for other users.
I found a no elegant solution: if you press the release lens button a couple of times in front of the camera and when you see the iris value you change the aperture dial you can get iris information until the camera turn off. You have to do this combination fast. Is the same procedure as others mount and unmount the lenses.

I hope Blackmagic team can find a better solution soon. So, if you are in this bote, please make post, or bump this one about this problem to get attention. We need a normal funcionality of the camera promoted to be very capable to use different adapters and lenses.

By the way, I prefer downgrade in order to have full functionality loosing the latest updates.


Thanks Javier! it also enables IS


Your are welcome!
Offline

javier forza

  • Posts: 133
  • Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:34 pm
  • Real Name: javier forza

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 9:33 pm

Saint_xix wrote:Same thing, also, i tried to update the firmware on viltrox speedbooster, after that, when i realised that it didn't work, i tried to roll back to earlier firmwares on the camera, like 6.1, 6.9.6, 6.9.5 etc, the iris is still gone, and im pretty much desperate with it, good i don't have any videoshoots nex couple of days.

Really hope that they will fix this issue



Try Camera update 7.2 - in your pocket going to be 6.95 - and check your viltrox firmware has to be 2.3. Thats works for me.

PS: 6.96 no 6.95
Offline

Wickedgt720

  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:24 am
  • Location: Hayward, CA

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 6:33 am

As far as the BMPCC4K Viltrox speed booster goes and not having iris control. I have gotten mine to work and it's worth trying to get the iris to work. I know it's bad to remove lens when camera is on but this worked for me.
To Fix: Turn on camera, dismount lens, connect lens again, dismount lens again, connect lens back. Now the iris control should work.
Offline

smunaut

  • Posts: 360
  • Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:15 pm
  • Real Name: Sylvain Munaut

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 6:39 am

@Wickedgt : but you need to do that every time ?
Ryzen 3700X - AMD R570X / NVidia RTX2700Super (switching between the 2) - Linux
Offline

Wickedgt720

  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:24 am
  • Location: Hayward, CA

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 7:26 am

by smunaut » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:39 pm

@Wickedgt : but you need to do that every time ?


Yes. Every time you change lenses. I'm not saying that this is the going to fix your camera completely. I did this because today I had a shoot and I didn't have time to downgrade my firmware and needed it to work (B-Cam). It's more of a band-aid until a new firmware comes out or you decide to downgrade back to 6.9.6 firmware.
Offline

Saint_xix

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:34 am
  • Real Name: Bogdan Yatsenko

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 10:14 am

javier forza wrote:
Saint_xix wrote:Same thing, also, i tried to update the firmware on viltrox speedbooster, after that, when i realised that it didn't work, i tried to roll back to earlier firmwares on the camera, like 6.1, 6.9.6, 6.9.5 etc, the iris is still gone, and im pretty much desperate with it, good i don't have any videoshoots nex couple of days.

Really hope that they will fix this issue



Try Camera update 7.2 - in your pocket going to be 6.95 - and check your viltrox firmware has to be 2.3. Thats works for me.

PS: 6.96 no 6.95


It's fine now mate, already rolled back to 6.9.6 on camera with same camera update and rolled back to 3.3 firmware on viltrox that made it work back again ;) but hell, i want that new update running :D
Amd ryzen 2700
32gb ram 3000hz
RTX 2060 super 8gb
Offline

jumpymonkey9

  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:53 pm
  • Real Name: Lee Legg

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 5:41 pm

Just chiming in to report the same issue with my 4k and Viltrox.
Windows 10
I9-9900K
ASRock Z390 Taichi
64GB RAM
500GB NVME
1TB SSD
EVGA RTX 2080Ti
Offline

Jaroslaw Frybes

  • Posts: 41
  • Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:12 am
  • Location: Poland

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 5:46 pm

Hi,
For me also no IRIS control and information on Viltrox EF-M2II and Viltrox EF-M1.
Workaroud with double disconnect and connect adapter from BMPCC4K body works, but it's active till next camera reboot.

No problems with Metabones Speedbooster Ultra.
MacOS Catalina 10.15.7
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), 2,3 GHz 8 core Intel Core i9, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4,
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB + Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
UltraStudio Mini Monitor + BENQ PD2700U
Offline

javier forza

  • Posts: 133
  • Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:34 pm
  • Real Name: javier forza

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 10:20 pm

@Blackmagic Team can respond at one of the topic, social media, sites talking about this broken Update?
Offline
User avatar

Mark Foster

  • Posts: 932
  • Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:59 am
  • Location: austria - no kangaroos +g*

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 3:40 pm

javier forza wrote:@Blackmagic Team can respond at one of the topic, social media, sites talking about this broken Update?


they can't right now, because they are working hard on the solution
for all problems of the 7.3 firmware +g*
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB 860pro/4x4TB HGST/SSD7101A 4x2TB 970evoplus/HP1344/BMD4k/Radeon VII
macOS 11.2.3

BMPCC 6k pro (7.3.1)
BMPCC 4k (7.3)+ MB speedbooster ultra 0.71 (3.60)
resolve studio 17.2.1
Offline

Marcel Lavide

  • Posts: 33
  • Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:40 am

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 4:12 pm


It worked for me. Thank you. While waiting for a solution.
Offline
User avatar

Mark Foster

  • Posts: 932
  • Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:59 am
  • Location: austria - no kangaroos +g*

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 1:52 pm

a new firmware was released

179382997_10159930636124903_5384252939118993386_n.jpg
179382997_10159930636124903_5384252939118993386_n.jpg (79.05 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB 860pro/4x4TB HGST/SSD7101A 4x2TB 970evoplus/HP1344/BMD4k/Radeon VII
macOS 11.2.3

BMPCC 6k pro (7.3.1)
BMPCC 4k (7.3)+ MB speedbooster ultra 0.71 (3.60)
resolve studio 17.2.1
Offline

Marcel Lavide

  • Posts: 33
  • Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:40 am

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 3:49 pm

The new firmware V3.6, It worked for me. Thank you.
Offline

javier forza

  • Posts: 133
  • Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:34 pm
  • Real Name: javier forza

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostSat May 01, 2021 5:05 am

Thank you Mark, I will try tomorrow upgrading everything again.
Offline

javier forza

  • Posts: 133
  • Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:34 pm
  • Real Name: javier forza

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostSat May 01, 2021 2:03 pm

With the temporary Viltrox Firmware update 3.6 Iris Works on Camera 7.3 Update.
Focus assist work very good, even in the low settings using Canon 24-105 and Canon 40 mm.

No IS like firmware 2.3 and Camera firmware 6.9.6
Offline

javier forza

  • Posts: 133
  • Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:34 pm
  • Real Name: javier forza

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostThu May 06, 2021 7:35 am

Still waiting for BlackMagic response...
Offline

Nick Heydon

  • Posts: 103
  • Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:41 am
  • Real Name: Hayman

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostThu May 06, 2021 9:28 am

javier forza wrote:Still waiting for BlackMagic response...


Why? When Apple update their operating system, loads of software gets broken and have to be update in order to fix it. I feel like it's the same things here. BMD updated their software, and makers of 3rd party accessories need to update their products to work again. Viltrox have fixed the issue, so what do BMD need to say?
Offline

Rrrbbb

  • Posts: 69
  • Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:57 pm
  • Real Name: Richard Bevan

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostThu May 06, 2021 2:49 pm

Nick Heydon wrote:
javier forza wrote:Still waiting for BlackMagic response...


Why? When Apple update their operating system, loads of software gets broken and have to be update in order to fix it. I feel like it's the same things here. BMD updated their software, and makers of 3rd party accessories need to update their products to work again. Viltrox have fixed the issue, so what do BMD need to say?


Apple release betas of their updates so that developers have a chance to update their apps before release. They also offer public betas so users can give feedback before general release. If you join the beta program then you expect bugs and obviously don’t install them on your work critical tools.
Offline
User avatar

Ulysses Paiva

  • Posts: 983
  • Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:32 pm
  • Location: Pernambuco, Brasil

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostThu May 06, 2021 8:00 pm

I dont think that is the case. Its not like they introduced a new feature and everyone else should run for it to make their 3rd party gear work.

They released a new firmware and a lot of things that used to work are not working anymore. With different manufacturers and different accessories, while some other are still working fine, like some lenses working and some not, gimbal connection, and others. Looks pretty much like a problematic firmware.
Ulysses Paiva
Offline

javier forza

  • Posts: 133
  • Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:34 pm
  • Real Name: javier forza

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostFri May 07, 2021 4:34 am

Nick Heydon wrote:
javier forza wrote:Still waiting for BlackMagic response...


Why? When Apple update their operating system, loads of software gets broken and have to be update in order to fix it. I feel like it's the same things here. BMD updated their software, and makers of 3rd party accessories need to update their products to work again. Viltrox have fixed the issue, so what do BMD need to say?


Viltrox doesn't fix the issue. IS is not working. They explain that 3.6 Firmware it's just a temporary solution and just works the iris control.

With a lot of active lenses, adapters, speedboosters, focus problems, WB reported here in the forum, YT and social media, its a broken firmware that need to be repaired soon.

In the case that a protocol of communication change, or whatever, BM can send Beta software as other explain before. Like they do with DR for developers. Lot of people like me use the camera for work everyday and we bought the camera because they can admit different adapters and lenses as they advertise.
Offline

Nicholas Chilcott

  • Posts: 31
  • Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:29 pm

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostTue May 18, 2021 8:11 pm

Marcel Lavide wrote:The new firmware V3.6, It worked for me. Thank you.


Can you give me the link for downloading the firmware ?
Offline

Nicholas Chilcott

  • Posts: 31
  • Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:29 pm

Re: BMPCC4k No iris information with Viltrox - Camera 7.3 Up

PostWed May 19, 2021 2:52 pm

Nicholas Chilcott wrote:
Marcel Lavide wrote:The new firmware V3.6, It worked for me. Thank you.


Can you give me the link for downloading the firmware ?


Found thanks

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: billbyrnes, Brad Hurley, kontrakatze and 14 guests