BMPCC 4K Touch Screen Go Wild!!!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

seanhe13

BMPCC 4K Touch Screen Go Wild!!!

PostWed Jun 26, 2019 5:01 pm

Greatings all,
I've had this problem with my new BMPCC4K, after I touched the screen, the screen just went wild and start like operating on itself, keep touching the right corner on its own. Anyone had this issue before and should I send it to go for a fix?

rick.lang

Re: BMPCC 4K Touch Screen Go Wild!!!

PostWed Jun 26, 2019 10:41 pm

Understand your panic.

Major Glitches with Pocket 4K
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostThu Jun 27, 2019 1:07 am

Do you have a lens mounted? If so, try taking the lens off and see if the screen works normally. If it does, it may be an issue with your lens.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

guuuido

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 4:15 pm

Did anyone successfully fix the touch screen going insane and pushing buttons on its own issue?

It does not matter what lens is mounted or if it's not mounted at all (I tried Sigma, Canon, Tokina...), it does not matter if it runs on internal/external battery, with or without external monitor, i tried every camera layout/rig I can think of. The issue is the same one that other users reported (screen zooms in and out, moves the zoom region all around the screen, switches from timecode to recording time, gets ghost clicks and navigates the menus on its own, ecc...). I made a quick video about the issue for reference

I’m stuck there with my 6K; purchased 4 months ago and I should be out shooting these days! What can be done to fix it?

Blackmagic experts please help!

MarcusWolschon

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 9:36 pm

I'm currently getting my screen replaced by Blackmagic for that.
(One of the very first BMPCC4K that reached Europe.)
However only 2 customers independently reported it
and neither me nor Blackmagic where able to reproduce the issue.

After 4 month this should easily be covered by warranty.

smunaut

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 12:09 am

Ok, so apparently I'm not alone :/

I've had this tonight when trying to record something:

http://people.osmocom.org/~tnt/stuff/bm ... _crazy.mp4

Camera is < 1 month old and it's the first time I was trying to record something "for real" and not just 30 sec tests. It was inside, ambiant temp, on a tripod, while I was shooting a timelapse ... it changed the WB and ISO settings right in the middle of one clip :/
Resolve Studio - Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD RX6600 / NVidia RTX 4070 (switching between the 2) - Linux

MScDre

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 1:27 pm

Hey I got this too the other day, had to turn camera off and then on and mess around with the touchscreen before it seemed to settle, only just happened but camera had been on same firmware for months

guuuido

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 3:26 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:I'm currently getting my screen replaced by Blackmagic for that.
(One of the very first BMPCC4K that reached Europe.)
However only 2 customers independently reported it
and neither me nor Blackmagic where able to reproduce the issue.

After 4 month this should easily be covered by warranty.

Hey Marcus, thank you for your feedback. I opened a ticket with BM support UK (I am based in Italy) over a week ago, and I sent a reminder two days ago but I didn't get any reply yet. What is your experience with Blackmagic support UK in terms of response times? I should be getting back shooting ASAP and I fear that at this pace this will take forever to get fixed!

Did anyone else have successfully got equipment fixed when covered by warranty and/or is this the way to go?
Thank you!

MarcusWolschon

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 2:42 pm

Reply from BM took a while.
A large German distributer did the handling, so I don't have to care about BREXIT and how exactly to declare customs to not pay import-VAT and customs 3x for the same camera.

misterk

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 6:53 pm

Same problem was chasing Blackmagic and no reply. My warranty is expiring this or next week so said f* it and il open the camera out and give it a clean. I disconnected the side buttons to see if its something with that and it wasn't so it seems the problem is in the digitizer itself?

Would be great if at least these problems were made public and how to fix them for those who have no warranty and don't want to pay £400 in repairs for a £1000 camera... :roll:
CPU Water: R7 1700 @ 3.9Ghz 1.33Vcore / GPU Water: 1080ti @ 2Ghz Core, 6.3GHz Mem / RAM: 32GB Trident Z @ 3600MHz / DRIVES: 2TB 980 PRO OS, 1TB 860 EVO Scratch, 1TB 860 EVO Active Footage

MarcusWolschon

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 6:57 pm

misterk wrote:Same problem was chasing Blackmagic and no reply. My warranty is expiring this or next week so said f* it and il open the camera out and give it a clean. I disconnected the side buttons to see if its something with that and it wasn't so it seems the problem is in the digitizer itself?

Would be great if at least these problems were made public and how to fix them for those who have no warranty and don't want to pay £400 in repairs for a £1000 camera... :roll:

I don't have the final invoice yet (camera is still on the way back to me) but the estimate was 200€ in parts, 130€ in labour and 41€ in shipping.

Johnzo34

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 5:59 am

Has this issue been fixed? I just got mine in the mail, and it's doing this as well. I'm not seeing any helpful answers on here.

MarcusWolschon

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 2:03 pm

Johnzo34 wrote:Has this issue been fixed? I just got mine in the mail, and it's doing this as well. I'm not seeing any helpful answers on here.

I just received it in the mail. No invoice yet.
Screen has been replaced and is working.
As for the ghost fingers, we'll have to see.
I could not reproduce them before the replacement but 2 different clients on set could.

smunaut

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 6:41 pm

JFYI I haven't had the issue again since. I did do a reflash and factory reset, not sure if that changed anything but ...

ATM I opted out from sending the cam in just because that's the only cam I have and since it seems to be working now.
Resolve Studio - Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD RX6600 / NVidia RTX 4070 (switching between the 2) - Linux

guuuido

PostSun May 16, 2021 7:46 pm

Johnzo34 wrote:Has this issue been fixed? I just got mine in the mail, and it's doing this as well. I'm not seeing any helpful answers on here.

There aren't helpful answers on here because for the most part there is not a DIY type of solution. If you are stuck with this issue you need to open a ticket with the closest BM support and they will tell you how to continue. Likely you will need to send the camera to them and they will substitute the touch screen.

I take the chance to follow up on my previous post to say how my story evolved. BM support UK answered my ticket 7 days after I created it saying that I had to send the camera to them for a touch screen swap. The camera was covered by warranty therefore transports back and forth were organised and paid by them. The camera came back about 40 days later. I did not have a chance to use it extensively on set yet but after a quick check the issue seems to be gone; hopefully forever. Communication with the BM support UK was fairly smooth, a bit on the slow side (due to smart working they say) but the experience was good overall.

Hope this helps.
Regards to everyone.
G

MarcusWolschon

PostMon May 17, 2021 2:16 pm

No more ghost fingers after the screen replacement but there hasn't been much shooting going on.

kabiri

PostFri Sep 09, 2022 4:49 am

Blackmagic 6 pro screen jumping auto clicking anybody have had the same issue please help me when I want to record it's going to auto zoom in menu same, auto click jump to menu to menu without any touch :(

noekrebs

PostMon Sep 12, 2022 6:58 pm

Same Issue here. Started 3 Months ago when warranty was already expired.

Return to Cinematography