Any Editors out there using Resolve?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Adam Langdon

Any Editors out there using Resolve?

PostThu May 06, 2021 1:43 pm

I'm looking to get either the full-sized Davinci Editor Keyboard ($1000) or the Speed Editor ($300).

I edit and grade exclusively in Davinci Resolve 17, and i JUST got the Micro Coloring Panel.

anyone have recommendations/thoughts?
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

Ellory Yu

Re: Any Editors out there using Resolve?

PostThu May 06, 2021 2:48 pm

If you can afford the micro color panel and asking which editor keyboard to get, I will say the full-sized DVR keyboard. However, my concern with keyboards that are customize to just a specific app is what happens when down the road new and better software capabilities (or you decide to use another NLE) are available that the keys don't support. Hence I don't usually invest in custom keyboards because they are over priced for one thing.

The Speed Editor is nice because it can augment your standard PC keyboard. There are even keyboards with key labels for Resolve on them that cost around $130.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... s=pi&pim=Y

That totals to around $425, about 40% of the full-sized DVR Editor keyboard.

For me, my hopes is that BMD will come out with a speed color panel that's around $295 and will complement with the speed editor. If they do that, then I will invest in both. Otherwise, unless I'm doing some massive editing and color grading and getting paid for it, I will continue to just use a standard keyboard and trackball mouse solution, and the contour Shuttle. I also use the Tangent Element app ($11) on an Android tablet for color grading. That works just fine too. My 2 cents.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Brad Hurley

PostThu May 06, 2021 3:34 pm

I was going to suggest you ask this question in the Resolve section of the forum, since that's where most of the editors hang out, but I see you already did.

I've seen positive and negative reviews of both keyboards; if you use the Cut page (I don't) the Speed Editor seems more useful. If you mainly or exclusively use the Edit page, the big keyboard seems to be the better choice. It's really big, though. There are also third-party controllers (e.g., https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com/) that are smaller and cheaper.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Videoguy16x9

PostFri May 07, 2021 4:04 am

I really like the BMD stuff, but I often use a StreamDeck XL with the icons and pre-programmed shortcuts from these guys: https://www.sideshowfx.net/products-stream-deck

The unit is small and reliable and travels very easily. I may get a BMD keyboard down the road, but this is working fine for now.
H. Robert Petersen, BriteFire Films - videoguy16x9@gmail.com

Sid Jervis

PostSat May 22, 2021 2:22 am

Videoguy16x9 wrote:I really like the BMD stuff, but I often use a StreamDeck XL with the icons and pre-programmed shortcuts ...

I am new to Resolve, I have the Speed Editor and am looking at the expensive (to me) option of the micro panel ($1400+ in Canada). That stream deck solution looks interesting.

Do you get buried in pages while using the stream deck with so many key options?
Have you changed the standard layout or is it logically grouped?

A "Pico" panel for grading and a similar one for audio would both be welcome, but I'd be surprised if they are on the hardware roadmap.

Videoguy16x9

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 7:05 pm

I find the StreamDeck to be pretty good - that said, I have a color panel and do love the BMD controls, but especially traveling, a StreamDeck works a treat. They organized it pretty good - not too bad on layered menus once you get used to it.
H. Robert Petersen, BriteFire Films - videoguy16x9@gmail.com

Uli Plank

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 12:55 am

@Sid: are you on PC or Mac? The problem with all the alternatives to BM's panels is the lack of control in the color page. StreamDeck is nice if you already have a panel for color.
The only exception are the controllers programmed by Glen Venghaus, but they are MacOS only. They also need pages, but you can use any cheap tablet as a HUD for their currently activated knobs, which is great.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Sid Jervis

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 1:35 am

I'm a Mac person, I have been since Apple ][; Prior to that, DEC PDP 8's, PDP 11/70 and VAX equipment (Go Lunar Lander), anyway I digress - younger people can ignore those references or go use Google :D

I looked at the sideshowfx stuff for a Streamdeck XL, WOW, that's a lot of key options and inexpensive.

A few days ago I got to use a micro panel; After the fact, all I can say is "it was a really bad idea do touch that thing"!
I am now solidly convinced that a mouse is NOT the way to go, at some point I have to spend the extra $$, because using the micro panel is more natural for me. I know that the other larger BM panels do more, but they are a few dollars too far.
Even as a Resolve newbie I can see that there are items missing from the micro panel, I guess the answer is a Streamdeck and a micro panel. So I have to start saving... or robbing banks!!

I looked at the Glen Venghaus controller software and hardware options (about C$650+tax), they certainly are good options, but as I mentioned I used a panel, argh, those trackballs on the micro are just awesome.

Uli Plank

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 2:59 am

For those with tougher budget restrictions there is a cheaper alternative by Glen with the Beatstep and a single config. But I admit that trackballs are great, well, and that has its price. I have access to panels at work, but for private projects I use his solution. Without the HUD it was very difficult to switch back and forth, but now it’s easier. Any old Tablet you got lying around is enough.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Ellory Yu

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 3:35 am

That’s why I think there is a market for a $300 speed grade controller to complement the $295 speed editor. I wish BMD will produce one. There are several threads here that talks about it for a while now.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Sid Jervis

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 6:00 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:That’s why I think there is a market for a $300 speed grade controller to complement the $295 speed editor. I wish BMD will produce one. There are several threads here that talks about it for a while now.

+1 I think it would sell like hot cakes. How about a Fairlight "macro surface" as well :) ?

Brad Hurley

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 6:09 pm

Sid Jervis wrote:How about a Fairlight "macro surface" as well :) ?

Blackmagic is selling a desktop Fairlight control surface now; it's not cheap but looks useful.

For those of us who edit, color grade, and work with Fairlight, an all-in-one solution like Glen Venghaus's is a good solution because it's just one small multipurpose device on your desk. If you work on those tasks sequentially I suppose a dedicated control surface for each makes sense, but if you go back and forth a lot you'd need a pretty large desk (not to mention budget) to accommodate them all.

I recently got a Wacom tablet for editing photos in Capture One, and plan to try it in Resolve as well; I know some people grade using tablets but I've never tried it. The Wacom can use touch as well as a pen, and touch might actually be better for grading, if it works in Resolve.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Sid Jervis

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 7:24 pm

I guess it all depends on what the use case is, for me C$4,685 for an audio panel is too much. I can buy a lot of external mixer for that price.

I can only assume that BM made the speed editor for a customer who is not a Pro user;
The likely targets are, regular youtube creators, Vimeo channel creators, Streamers, education facilities, non pros, hobbyists (and many others). At C$399 the SE isn't a huge cost given the benefits to the target market. This segment is mainly about price. BM have good reason to include Resolve Studio with the SE and other products.

As BM have entered this market already, they have no reason not to repeat the process on other products. A "macro" version of a Resolve Micro Panel in a similar price range as the Speed editor would hit the same market. The same applies to a "macro" version of a Fairlight panel, in the same market.
All of this activity is a means to capture users.

Even if only a small percentage of these users become specifiers at a later point in their career/life, that's a lot of dollars that could head into BM.

Over many years BM has produced products, with loads of extra features, at a much lower price than anything available previously, across all price ranges.

Wish list
At this budget end of the market a customer could buy three BM products:
Speed editor C$399
Resolve Macro Panel C$599 est'
Fairlight Macro Panel C$599 est'

Total cost C$1597

If you have to do this right now from the current product range:
Speed editor C$399
Resolve Micro Panel C$1,335
Fairlight Desktop Console C$4,685

Total cost C$6,419

As I said it's about price.

I mentioned that I looked at the Glen Venghaus controller software and hardware options, and there is most certainly a place for those products. But here is the problem I have and others could have, colour grading with BM track balls is awesome. Moving from BM track balls on the micro panel to any of the other BM control surfaces is an easy path (the balls are slightly different on the larger panels)

On the audio side the GV software and APC40 are a good option, but if BM made all the three items in my wish list they would get my dollars.

FYI there are colourists that use a pen and Wacom unit when colouring.
My Wacom is strictly for photo editing :)

Uli Plank

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 3:26 am

As much as I like Wacom tablets, color grading with it must feel like having your hands tied up behind your back and painting with the brush in your mouth.

Sid Jervis

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 2:22 am

Uli Plank wrote:As much as I like Wacom tablets, color grading with it must feel like having your hands tied up behind your back and painting with the brush in your mouth.

Now I have that picture in my head :D

Ellory Yu

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 6:20 am

I completely agree with Sid on the market price. Glen’s option is nice but lacks the trackball and wheels that makes a big difference.

Uli Plank wrote:As much as I like Wacom tablets, color grading with it must feel like having your hands tied up behind your back and painting with the brush in your mouth.

This is very true. I did try the tablet option but went back to my Kingston trackball and keyboard.

I’m using the Tangent VUE with an Android desktop tablet. It works nicely but again lacks that physical and tactile feeling. But until I see a speed grade that complements the speed editor and price, the VUE is a cheap option, only $11 if you have an old Android or iOS tablet seating around unused.

Steve Fishwick

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 11:17 am

Similar to Ellory, I use the Tangent app on an Android tablet and the Shuttle Pro. I use an Avid Keyboard, since that is my main editing platform and have almost every shortcut working with DVR, after customising the Avid MC keyboard layout template, should I wish to edit in Resolve - but that's just because of my muscle memory. I am very happy with this setup currently, since using a Sound Devices audio interface and the Shuttlepro I can get very fine jog/shuttle with it. The problem with the Speed Editor is as has been said it only works with DVR and not fully on every page and a DaVinci keyboard likewise, could not work for Avid.

Return to Cinematography