Continuous recording

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Raskolnikov

Continuous recording

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 4:35 pm

Hi everybody, just a short question: how long can I record continuous video footage using an external ssd 2T drive in BRaw or ProRes codecs? (Practically I’ve to record surgical operation)

carlomacchiavello

Re: Continuous recording

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 9:59 pm

What resolution? What compression? What camera?
Technically you should not have problem about continuous recording, but you should do some test.
Personally I suggest to rent additional recorder external to have a backup, for doc or others situations like these it’s better to have a backup.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

dondidnod

Re: Continuous recording

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 12:22 am

Assuming that you use a current pocket camera, go to the support page, download the April 2021 Installation and Operation Manual Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, and look on pages 24-27.

rick.lang

Continuous recording

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 1:09 am

When you mount the external drive to the camera, the camera will estimate your recording time for whatever codec resolution and frame rate you have selected. 2 terabytes will get you through most operations (if not all) as you can record for several hours. If the operations you will record are normally two to four hours, select a resolution that can record for at least twice that as a safety margin.

For example on the BMPCC4K, you can record 24 fps 12bit BRAW Q1 in UHD for 9 hours on a 2 TB SSD. Or 5.5 hours using Q0. That’s a high quality codec.

If you prefer ProRes, you can record 24 fps 10bit ProRes HQ in UHD for over 6 hours.

If you prefer to record 30 fps full 4K DCI with Q0, the recording time is 4 hours. Q1 is almost 7 hours.

Qx recording times are estimates but in practice I usually find they are conservative and I’ve never ruined an event shoot because it took longer than estimated. It’s harder to estimate the time an operation will take due to unforeseen complications though so be cautious selecting the appropriate codec.
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography