Cartoni Focus 8 Fluid Head

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

JohnRBrooklyn

Cartoni Focus 8 Fluid Head

PostSun May 09, 2021 8:06 pm

Does anyone have any experience using Cartoni Focus 8 Fluid Head Vs Cartoni Focus 10 with BMPCC 4k?
Thank you.

rick.lang

Re: Cartoni Focus 8 Fluid Head

PostMon May 10, 2021 4:45 pm

If it helps I’ve rented the Cartoni Laser which is an earlier version and it worked well. If you can manage the extra cost and weight, all other features similar, then I suspect heavier is always going to be better… except when your climbing a mountain.
Rick Lang

Fabián Aguirre

PostMon May 10, 2021 5:26 pm

Hi John,

I've been a Cartoni user for over a decade and love them-- started out with the Focus 101 (which became the HD and later the Focus 10), and now also have a Focus 8. It's a great little tripod but obviously doesn't compare to its larger siblings in terms of features or operation. Depending on your camera configuration (weight), the 8 might be perfect but if you're running a heavier rig, the 10 or 12 will be best.

Here is the 8 sitting next to my Steadicam setup during a shoot this past week. For remote productions requiring lightweight gear, the F8 is great. If you can afford the 10, go for that. It'll be much more versatile as your rig grows.

IMG_1537.jpeg
IMG_1537.jpeg (741.21 KiB) Viewed 1756 times
Fabián Aguirre
Cinematographer / Steadicam Operator
www.theunderstory.co

Jeffrey D Mathias

PostMon May 10, 2021 9:28 pm

I use Cartoni tripods and heads and think they are great. Pleas note though that the larger heads have a minimum payload for proper counter-ballance. Focus 8, 10 and 12 have 0 minimum. Something like the Maxima 30 has a minimum of 7lbs (3kg)
AMD Threadripper 1950x 16-core 3.4 GHz
96 GB Crucial DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM RAM
AsRock Fatal1ty x399 motherboard
AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200 GPU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 22H2, build 19045.3208
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
iPad Pro M2

JohnRBrooklyn

PostTue May 11, 2021 11:15 am

Thank you all for your feedback. I appreciate it!

IncendiesProductions

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 12:55 pm

Fabián Aguirre wrote:Hi John,

I've been a Cartoni user for over a decade and love them-- started out with the Focus 101 (which became the HD and later the Focus 10), and now also have a Focus 8. It's a great little tripod but obviously doesn't compare to its larger siblings in terms of features or operation. Depending on your camera configuration (weight), the 8 might be perfect but if you're running a heavier rig, the 10 or 12 will be best.

Here is the 8 sitting next to my Steadicam setup during a shoot this past week. For remote productions requiring lightweight gear, the F8 is great. If you can afford the 10, go for that. It'll be much more versatile as your rig grows.

IMG_1537.jpeg

Hey Fabian!

As someone who's planning on investing in a Focus 10 later this year, I was wondering if you had any tips on how to deal with the fluid head's proprietary quick release plate and how best to set up ways for quick and easy switching between the tripod, a shoulder rig/gimbal or slider?

Creative110

PostThu Jul 08, 2021 12:37 pm

I received my new Cartoni Focus 8 fluid head yesterday and had a chance to play with it for a bit.

I don't have a lot of experience with fluid heads having only used a Satchler once. I balanced the 6K Pro with Milvus lens on the head and then adjusted the balance dial and resistance levels for pan and tilt. It's smooth, very smooth. The only thing is a small amount of back-lash if I let go of the handle immediately after a movement. I imagine this is due to the pressure of the fluid equalizing. If I hold the handle for a half second and then let go there is no movement.

I spent a fair amount of time evaluating this head vs. the Focus 10 and the Satchler. In the end I'm happy with the 8 since I'm not a professional and I don't see my rig growing. The one downside to the 8 is the way the plate is installed in the head; slide-in vs. the tilt-in which I would have preferred and is the method used on the 10. I'm going to put a registration mark on the plate so I know how far to slide it back in so it will be balanced.

My $.02

John Griffin

PostFri Jul 09, 2021 7:44 am

Creative110 wrote:I received my new Cartoni Focus 8 fluid head yesterday and had a chance to play with it for a bit.

I don't have a lot of experience with fluid heads having only used a Satchler once. I balanced the 6K Pro with Milvus lens on the head and then adjusted the balance dial and resistance levels for pan and tilt. It's smooth, very smooth. The only thing is a small amount of back-lash if I let go of the handle immediately after a movement. I imagine this is due to the pressure of the fluid equalizing. If I hold the handle for a half second and then let go there is no movement.

I spent a fair amount of time evaluating this head vs. the Focus 10 and the Satchler. In the end I'm happy with the 8 since I'm not a professional and I don't see my rig growing. The one downside to the 8 is the way the plate is installed in the head; slide-in vs. the tilt-in which I would have preferred and is the method used on the 10. I'm going to put a registration mark on the plate so I know how far to slide it back in so it will be balanced.

My $.02

Backlash comes from the tripod (it's called wind-up) twisting under the load of the friction. to fix it get stiffer legs ( twin tube are a lot better than single tube) or lower the drag setting.

Creative110

PostSat Jul 10, 2021 2:18 pm

The slight movement is only when tilting not in panning. I should have been more clear about that. Also maybe I didn’t use the correct terminology. Still learning.

Jeffrey D Mathias

PostSat Jul 10, 2021 3:46 pm

I have never had backlash in legs as described by John Griffin. What I have noticed with a pan is that there can be some backlash as described by Creative110. The solution is to turn the bottom/horizontal dampening control to a bit less dampening - until the backlash is gone. For tilt backlash I would suggest trying the same - reduce the dampening (not balance)(knob on side, not back).

For the issue of a release plate - I use a Kessler quick release mounted to the Cartoni dovetail. It tilts in and needs a button to release after unlocking the lever. There is still issue of sliding to adjust, but some reference marks do the job.
AMD Threadripper 1950x 16-core 3.4 GHz
96 GB Crucial DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM RAM
AsRock Fatal1ty x399 motherboard
AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200 GPU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 22H2, build 19045.3208
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
iPad Pro M2

Return to Cinematography