PTZ that can rival BMPCC 6K Pro image?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

drewgandy

PTZ that can rival BMPCC 6K Pro image?

PostFri Jun 25, 2021 12:55 pm

I'm wondering what's available (and at what cost) in PTZ cameras that can rival the image quality achieved with the current generation of 6K Pocket Cameras from BMD. Any suggestions?

Sean van Berlo

Re: PTZ that can rival BMPCC 6K Pro image?

PostFri Jun 25, 2021 4:13 pm

That's like asking what Mercedes Sprinter car can rival a Mazda convertible. Sure, they ostensible do the same thing (driving and they both have a carrying capacity) but that's such an apples to oranges comparison that it seems almost meaningless.

John Griffin

PostFri Jun 25, 2021 6:28 pm

drewgandy wrote:I'm wondering what's available (and at what cost) in PTZ cameras that can rival the image quality achieved with the current generation of 6K Pocket Cameras from BMD. Any suggestions?

There must be a LUT that will do that.

drewgandy

PostSun Jun 27, 2021 6:54 pm

I'm loving the answers so far.

I know this probably seems obtuse, especially to a strong-minded pocket cinematographer. But here's where I'm coming from:
I've been working with a low end PTZ Camera for a recurring job for the past 9 months and I have a feel for its limitations. But working with the PCC 6K in a similar situation (except manned instead of PTZ'd) has me wondering what it takes to get to the PCC level of image quality.

It seems that a jump to a larger image sensor is key. Bolin has the cheapest 1" PTZ cams I've been able to find. Generally they are around $8k USD and up. Any thoughts about all-in-one PTZs that can get me into the same ballpark? Or is a PTZ retro-kit for a different style of camera the better option? (We've started to mess with the Nucleus M zoom and focus motor kit but that's just one part of the total equation.)

Thanks,

Return to Cinematography