bmpcc4k and HD resolution

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

ale211734

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: Wed May 26, 2021 8:28 am
  • Real Name: Alessio Mochi

bmpcc4k and HD resolution

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 1:05 pm

Reading the manual and seeing that at different resolutions it turns in the window rather than at full sensor, I was wondering what is the most convenient option to record HD movies. I register in 4k and in post production scale in hd or it's better register directly in prores?

What is the disadvantage of running in window mode, you lose some details or just have to deal with the crop?
Offline
User avatar

Phil999

  • Posts: 328
  • Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:12 am
  • Real Name: Philipp Straehl

Re: bmpcc4k and HD resolution

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 3:24 pm

it’s just a crop. I guess most people capture with 4k BRAW, and then one can render to HD. Which gives also some space for reframing and stabilising. 4k is a good resolution for HD delivery.
Offline
User avatar

rick.lang

  • Posts: 14750
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:41 pm
  • Location: Victoria BC Canada

Re: bmpcc4k and HD resolution

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 7:23 pm

if you wish to record in HD ProRes in the BMPCC4K, you do have the ability to select the sensor area to be used. You can select a HD crop if you wish, but you can also select the 2.6K resolution or 4K UHD. those options will give you a larger field of view if that is important and the camera will downscale to HD. If you want some flexibility in framing in post, then you are going to want to record using the higher resolution (4K DCI or UHD) and do the reframing or downscaling in post for HD deliverables. As mentioned already, if you record in BRAW, each resolution is just a sensor crop except for 4K DCI 4096x2160.
Rick Lang
Offline
User avatar

carlomacchiavello

  • Posts: 1556
  • Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:04 pm
  • Location: italy

Re: bmpcc4k and HD resolution

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 6:10 pm

If you start in 4K you can downscale with different algorithm and mean you can do :
- better result when you reach moires
- reframing and rotation with more resolution
- if focus is weak you can enhance sharpness and during downscaling you will see disappear the artificial edge in down sampling
- if you have noise during scaling you will see disappear it without de noise and you not lose in sharpness

Every time I can I shoot at higher res I can, if time/storage/post hardware allow me.


Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Offline

ale211734

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: Wed May 26, 2021 8:28 am
  • Real Name: Alessio Mochi

Re: bmpcc4k and HD resolution

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 9:13 am

[quote="carlomacchiavello"]If you start in 4K you can downscale with different algorithm and mean you can do :
- better result when you reach moires
- reframing and rotation with more resolution
- if focus is weak you can enhance sharpness and during downscaling you will see disappear the artificial edge in down sampling
- if you have noise during scaling you will see disappear it without de noise and you not lose in sharpness

Every time I can I shoot at higher res I can, if time/storage/post hardware allow me.


Thanks, interesting explanation. If you want to make a movie with a piece in 4k and pieces in slow motion 120 fps which method do you recommend? It seems impossible due to the crop to do such a thing
(I mean the 120 fps slow motion piece maintains the same field of view as the 4k piece at normal speed)
Last edited by ale211734 on Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Offline
User avatar

carlomacchiavello

  • Posts: 1556
  • Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:04 pm
  • Location: italy

Re: bmpcc4k and HD resolution

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 9:17 am

ale211734 wrote:Thanks, interesting explanation. If you want to make a movie with a piece in 4k and pieces in slow motion 120 fps which method do you recommend? It seems impossible due to the crop to do such a thing

obviously i shoot hd 120 and the rest in 4k, i not waste most of shooting quality for a small piece of movie, or today i shoot in 4k 60p and add 120 with AI, topaz VEIA had an incredible slow motion AI option, or you can test with some not commercial tool like flow frames https://nmkd.itch.io/flowframes
Offline

ale211734

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: Wed May 26, 2021 8:28 am
  • Real Name: Alessio Mochi

Re: bmpcc4k and HD resolution

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 9:19 am

carlomacchiavello wrote:
ale211734 wrote:Thanks, interesting explanation. If you want to make a movie with a piece in 4k and pieces in slow motion 120 fps which method do you recommend? It seems impossible due to the crop to do such a thing

obviously i shoot hd 120 and the rest in 4k, i not waste most of shooting quality for a small piece of movie, or today i shoot in 4k 60p and add 120 with AI, topaz VEIA had an incredible slow motion AI option, or you can test with some not commercial tool like flow frames https://nmkd.itch.io/flowframes


Sorry i mean if i wanted to shoot part of the same scene with the same field of view. When I switch to the hd I have the crop at 120 fps
Offline
User avatar

carlomacchiavello

  • Posts: 1556
  • Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:04 pm
  • Location: italy

Re: bmpcc4k and HD resolution

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 9:30 am

ale211734 wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:
ale211734 wrote:Thanks, interesting explanation. If you want to make a movie with a piece in 4k and pieces in slow motion 120 fps which method do you recommend? It seems impossible due to the crop to do such a thing

obviously i shoot hd 120 and the rest in 4k, i not waste most of shooting quality for a small piece of movie, or today i shoot in 4k 60p and add 120 with AI, topaz VEIA had an incredible slow motion AI option, or you can test with some not commercial tool like flow frames https://nmkd.itch.io/flowframes


Sorry i mean if i wanted to shoot part of the same scene with the same field of view. When I switch to the hd I have the crop at 120 fps


If i need to avoid crop i will shot 4k 60p with shutter at 90 degree (or better 45 degree to give to post more info to do slow motion) and use AI to do slowmotion in post. during last years i saw what i can and what i cannot slow in post, but today with AI we can do more and more
Offline

ale211734

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: Wed May 26, 2021 8:28 am
  • Real Name: Alessio Mochi

Re: bmpcc4k and HD resolution

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 12:39 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:
ale211734 wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:If i need to avoid crop i will shot 4k 60p with shutter at 90 degree (or better 45 degree to give to post more info to do slow motion) and use AI to do slowmotion in post. during last years i saw what i can and what i cannot slow in post, but today with AI we can do more and more


thank you very much i will try software you suggest
Offline
User avatar

Phil999

  • Posts: 328
  • Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:12 am
  • Real Name: Philipp Straehl

Re: bmpcc4k and HD resolution

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 1:04 pm

I usually shoot 120fps in 2.6k resolution. Still some space left for downscaling to HD. Then I don't need artificial slow motion software. The sensor is cropped in 2.6k, but in most cases it is enough field of view for me.
Offline
User avatar

rick.lang

  • Posts: 14750
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:41 pm
  • Location: Victoria BC Canada

Re: bmpcc4k and HD resolution

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 4:53 pm

As mentioned in post #3, if you record ProRes HD, you have the option of selecting a larger field of view that will be downscaled in camera.
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Frank Engel and 21 guests