firmware 7.5 feature request

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

carlomacchiavello

firmware 7.5 feature request

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 11:22 am

Bmd release 7.4 to support newer studio cameras, there is a 7.3.2 beta to solve some problem on m4/3 lenses, and in mthe mean time i try to list some small but useful request for our cameras

- ability to lock touch screen interaction to avoid wrong focusing or touching from external people, i forget the number of time that people cannot told to me about a framing without touch and change value on camera (seems too difficult to not touch a screen and when appair a slider not change value). i think like keep pressed three button for three seconds, and lock touchscreen, overlay signal about touchscreen locked, then you can only use physical button to change value.

- ability to understand better the exposure shutter when you go to lower frame rate
when you need slower time of exposure is possible to mix lower offset frame rate, timelapse option, but is not simple to calculate shutter time, could be useful to see this number change accordly to frame rate.

- more gain on audio (i had external recorder, but... when i use direct mic).
- is possibile to expand the number of loadable LUTS? is a memory limits?
- upgrade cs gen 5 for ump g1 and g2
Last edited by carlomacchiavello on Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Heydon

Re: firmware 7.5 feature request

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 11:30 am

I would absolutely love audio level control on hard buttons. Not sure how it'd really work, but my ideal setup would be:

Auto Iris button selects input 1
Auto Focus button selects input 2

The finger wheel turns the selected input up and down.

In my opinion, trying to adjust the audio on the screen is a horrible experience, especially if you have a v-mount behind the camera.

timbutt2

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 2:03 pm

I’d be most happy with BRAW Presets. Or customizable BRAW settings. So instead of Extended Video you have your RAW Tab adjustments and then can load a LUT that works with those adjustments. That would be pretty sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Kaku Ito

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 9:05 pm

Hello,

I would like;

support for motorized zoom lenses to have fixed iris for zoom in and out.
If using f3.5 to f5.6 zoom lens, then if I set to f5.6 at zoom in, make it stay at f5.6 (or anything higher number) when you zoom out.

John Morris

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 1:34 am

Ability to calibrate focus points on zoom lenses and remember the calibration points for specific lenses. That way the focus can be changed automatically for non-parfocal zoom lenses that at least have motorized focus and return zoom data to the camera. Maybe even just 3 calibration points would be enough for some lenses.

Ellory Yu

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 3:42 am

John Morris wrote:Ability to calibrate focus points on zoom lenses and remember the calibration points for specific lenses. That way the focus can be changed automatically for non-parfocal zoom lenses that at least have motorized focus and return zoom data to the camera. Maybe even just 3 calibration points would be enough for some lenses.
Kaku Ito wrote:Hello,

I would like;

If using f3.5 to f5.6 zoom lens, then if I set to f5.6 at zoom in, make it stay at f5.6 (or anything higher number) when you zoom out.

All the above on the Pocket 4/6/6K pro and the UMP G2 and ump 12k. Why not?
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 5:54 am

I would like;

7.3.2 beta solve most of this kind problem with mft electric zoom and iris.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Tim Lota

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 7:57 am

carlomacchiavello wrote:- ability to lock touch screen interaction to avoid wrong focusing or touching from external people, i forget the number of time that people cannot told to me about a framing without touch and change value on camera (seems too difficult to not touch a screen and when appair a slider not change value). i think like keep pressed three button for three seconds, and lock touchscreen, overlay signal about touchscreen locked, then you can only use physical button to change value.

- more gain on audio (i had external recorder, but... when i use direct mic).

Nick Heydon wrote:I would absolutely love audio level control on hard buttons. Not sure how it'd really work, but my ideal setup would be:

Auto Iris button selects input 1
Auto Focus button selects input 2

The finger wheel turns the selected input up and down.

T H I S !

And, of course, as I always request: A 48p project setting. Still my most needed feature.

Thanks, BMD!

Tyler Edwards

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 3:45 pm

Gen5 color in URSA Mini Pro G2 please!
www.youtube.com/tylerfedwards

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 4:56 pm

Tyler Edwards wrote:Gen5 color in URSA Mini Pro G2 please!

g1 and g2 please :-P

Joenkeck

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 7:33 pm

I've been using a few pocket 4ks to shoot weddings since 2018. There have been a handful of times I thought I was recording when I was not. I would love the ability to have additional recording indicators on the screen. Maybe a red border when recording? OR even a grey X on the screen when I'm not recording would be super helpful. When you're using the camera on a gimbal during a live event it can be easy to miss the red (or not red lol) dot on the bottom of the screen and the red text at the top.

Kaku Ito

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 10:45 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:

I would like;

7.3.2 beta solve most of this kind problem with mft electric zoom and iris.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Hi, I updated to 7.3.2 last night and did some checking. The iris value on the camera does stay at the same number when you manually choose greater than the zoomed in f-stop, but the picture seems to go brighter when it is zoomed out.

Overlander

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 12:06 am

Agreed - I would love to have a tally light on my G2 but have not figured one out yet. I do not see red well and it can be a real nuisance.

Ellory Yu

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 1:08 am

Kaku Ito wrote:
Hi, I updated to 7.3.2 last night and did some checking. The iris value on the camera does stay at the same number when you manually choose greater than the zoomed in f-stop, but the picture seems to go brighter when it is zoomed out.

Kaku, 7.3.2 is still beta so I am expecting that will address that.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

timbutt2

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 3:38 am

Definitely agree. It’s a must have.

"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Ellory Yu

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 4:34 am

timbutt2 wrote:
Definitely agree. It’s a must have.

+1. I hope soon!!!

francesco.dadamo

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 7:29 am

Speaking of BMPCC6k pro and "similar", I wonder if an auto-exposure setting which varies ISO instead of Shutter or Iris could be implemented (as found on dslr), I think there are some scenarios in which it could be a very nice option to have, and surely more usable that auto Shutter or Iris, which impact too much. Because of dual native ISO, the setting could maybe move only in one of the two ranges you're currently in, yet as said it could be useful. (By the way, keeping pressed the auto-exposure button could "freeze" the continuous auto-exposure function, and resume it when released).

It would be great to access screen brightness setting in a faster way too than going through the menu, but maybe it's already there and I missed it.

Adding waveform on screen would be (at least for me) much better than using rgb histogram.

As said in previous posts, the option to boost the audio input gain would be very useful too.
DRStudio 18.0b build 28 - Win10Pro
Ryzen 5 5600x, 32GB Ram - 3060TI

Return to Cinematography