BMPCC6K Lens and Mount for Tabletop Shoot

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

venison

BMPCC6K Lens and Mount for Tabletop Shoot

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 11:24 am

Unfortunately, I could not find the videography sub so I will post my questions here :)

I got my hands on a BMPCC6K and am looking for recommendations for a prime lens and mounting system for tabletop shootings.

I have a construction made of wood similar to this one:

The area I am trying to capture has a width of 75cm and the camera could be mounted about 30-60cm above. I managed to lay a tripod on top of the construction but I was wondering if you have ideas on how to mount the camera. Maybe by mounting a tripod head to the wood?

Since these will be product videos I am looking for a prime EF lens that is super sharp without distortion or vignetting etc. It should be a wide-angle that is suitable for that kind of close range. Do you have any recommendations?

Thank you!
--DaVinci Resolve Studio Version 18
--macOS Monterey Version 12.3.1
--Apple M1 16GB RAM
--Samsung T5 SSD Drive for DaVinci Resolve project files and cache

Ellory Yu

Re: BMPCC6K Lens and Mount for Tabletop Shoot

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 9:45 pm

I will assume you are looking for something like an overhead mount for overhead tabletop shots. If so I would use something like one of these:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... s=pi&pim=Y

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... s=pi&pim=Y

If you want to use your tripod, assuming it can handle a boom pole, you can do it with such but I prefer to have it hanging on a rail that is lifted with a couple of sturdy c-stands.

Properly lit, you can use the sigma 18-35mm ART EF which is a decent glass.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

venison

PostSat Sep 18, 2021 6:03 am

Ellory Yu wrote:I will assume you are looking for something like an overhead mount for overhead tabletop shots. If so I would use something like one of these

Thanks for the links but I actually already have the frame made out of wood. So no need for stands. I am just looking for a mounting solution.

Ellory Yu wrote: Properly lit, you can use the sigma 18-35mm ART EF which is a decent glass.

Thanks for the tip but I am looking for a prime lens.
--Apple M1 16GB RAM

John Griffin

PostSat Sep 18, 2021 10:53 am

Probably better off looking at dedicated 'macro' lenses for this kind of setup as they will have better close focus performance and less distortion.

Robert Niessner

PostSat Sep 18, 2021 7:08 pm

Have a look at the products from 9.SOLUTIONS:
https://9.solutions/applications/

You could build your construction out of their rigging system:
https://9.solutions/products/grip-rigging-system-2/
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

lost_soul

PostSat Sep 18, 2021 8:14 pm

venison wrote:Unfortunately, I could not find the videography sub so I will post my questions here :)

I got my hands on a BMPCC6K and am looking for recommendations for a prime lens and mounting system for tabletop shootings.

I have a construction made of wood similar to this one:

The area I am trying to capture has a width of 75cm and the camera could be mounted about 30-60cm above. I managed to lay a tripod on top of the construction but I was wondering if you have ideas on how to mount the camera. Maybe by mounting a tripod head to the wood?

Since these will be product videos I am looking for a prime EF lens that is super sharp without distortion or vignetting etc. It should be a wide-angle that is suitable for that kind of close range. Do you have any recommendations?

Thank you!

What kinds of products are you planning on shooting?

Do you have some thing like a 18-35 zoom laying around? or the 18-55 kit lens? Any friend with a Rebel should have an 18-55. If so use that to see which focal length gives you the field of view you are looking for. Then go find a prime to match it. I agree that if you are doing product work you want a macro lens if you can.

An alternative is buy a Sigma 18-35 1.8 and a set of extension tubes. That will give you some flexibility but still be able to get in close but won't give you the magnification that some thing like a 100 macro will. Keep in mind that if you are switching frame rates you may end up cropping in meaning your desired focal length may change.
Centos 8
RX 580
AMDGPU-pro
Studio (What ever the latest is)

venison

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 5:38 am

Thanks for your suggestions. This is my second answer and I hope it comes through (has to be approved as I am a new member).

I already built the construction out of wood. Therefore I don’t need c-stands or the 9 solutions rigging system. I am looking for a head that I can mount on the top of my construction that enables me to move the camera closer to the object. I will post a drawing later to illustrate.

I am shooting electronic instruments that are about 10-15cm high. Since the area, I am trying to capture has a width of 75cm I thought a wide-angle lens would be better than a macro? The idea to work with a zoom is great. Then the camera could also be fixed on top. But I thought a prime could deliver a sharper image and be more budget-friendly.
--Apple M1 16GB RAM

Howard Roll

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 1:54 pm

For FoV calculations you can use parity to calculate the necessary focal length. With a 25mm lens on the 6k the distance to subject and FoV are the same. At 30cm (distance) you’d need a 10mm prime to capture a 75mm horizontal FoV, and at 60cm, closer to a 20mm lens. I don’t think there are any 10mm lenses that are going to meet the original criteria. I’d probably be looking at something like the 20mm Art from Sigma.

Good Luck

venison

PostThu Sep 30, 2021 7:47 am

Howard Roll wrote:For FoV calculations you can use parity to calculate the necessary focal length. With a 25mm lens on the 6k the distance to subject and FoV are the same. At 30cm (distance) you’d need a 10mm prime to capture a 75mm horizontal FoV, and at 60cm, closer to a 20mm lens. I don’t think there are any 10mm lenses that are going to meet the original criteria. I’d probably be looking at something like the 20mm Art from Sigma.

Good Luck

Thanks for your help. I could use a tripod on top of my wooden construction to get the camera further away. The 24mm, 30mm, and 35mm 1.4 Sigma Art lenses would be cheaper on the used market. Other than having to go further away, are there any other disadvantages? If not I‘d rather go with one of the slightly cheaper lenses.
--Apple M1 16GB RAM

Howard Roll

PostThu Sep 30, 2021 9:53 am

Venison wrote:I could use a tripod on top of my wooden construction to get the camera further away.

…or use a tripod where the center column can be flipped and skip the wood frame entirely. Either way, increasing the distance will yield a flatter less forced perspective. Additionally, adding light and stopping down will level lens performance. At 5 feet and f8 a nifty fifty is going to outperform the 20mm Art at 2ft and an f1.4.

565BFF24-CF3C-4E6F-BE02-2584B74BC569.jpeg
565BFF24-CF3C-4E6F-BE02-2584B74BC569.jpeg (69.34 KiB) Viewed 2114 times

Good Luck

venison

PostThu Sep 30, 2021 2:10 pm

Howard Roll wrote:
Venison wrote:I could use a tripod on top of my wooden construction to get the camera further away.

…or use a tripod where the center column can be flipped and skip the wood frame entirely. Either way, increasing the distance will yield a flatter less forced perspective. Additionally, adding light and stopping down will level lens performance. At 5 feet and f8 a nifty fifty is going to outperform the 20mm Art at 2ft and an f1.4.

565BFF24-CF3C-4E6F-BE02-2584B74BC569.jpeg

Good Luck

Thanks. I have a decent light. Will there be a difference between 50mm and 20mm at the same f stop?
--Apple M1 16GB RAM

Uli Plank

PostThu Sep 30, 2021 5:45 pm

Yes, of course: aesthetics.
A 20mm will exaggerate dimensionality of your object (at the same size), a 50mm will make it look flatter.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

venison

PostSat Oct 02, 2021 9:20 am

Uli Plank wrote:Yes, of course: aesthetics.
A 20mm will exaggerate dimensionality of your object (at the same size), a 50mm will make it look flatter.

I did not know that. I think I will have to borrow a 18-35 zoom to see for myself. I do want a deep depth of field but I do not want the image to look flat.
--Apple M1 16GB RAM

Uli Plank

PostSat Oct 02, 2021 9:29 am

That's not the same. The DoF is the same at the same aperture if you show the object at the same size.

What changes is the dimensionality, the perspective, since you have to change the distance.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

venison

PostSat Oct 02, 2021 7:10 pm

Uli Plank wrote:That's not the same. The DoF is the same at the same aperture if you show the object at the same size.

What changes is the dimensionality, the perspective, since you have to change the distance.

Yes I got that. Hence the idea to borrow a zoom and see for myself. But I guess 20mm will be it.
--Apple M1 16GB RAM

venison

PostWed Oct 13, 2021 6:31 pm

So I have been doing a few test shots with the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 over the past days. Subjectively I had the least lens distortion at around 24mm and the cleanest picture with the least vignetting somewhere between f/2.8 and f/5.6. I have to say this is a great lens!

Since I upgraded my tripod to a 3 legged thing (that can do anything and now sits on top of my wooden construction) I can move further away. This makes it possible to work with any prime up to about 50mm.
Do you think for example a Sigma 24mm or 35mm f/1.4 would give me even better picture quality with less distortion and chromatic aberration? If not I think I will be getting myself the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8.

Another thing I noticed is that my mounting plate is becoming loose very quickly on the BMPCC. Is there such thing as an Arca mounting plate that also uses the two holes on the BMPCC to stay in place?
--Apple M1 16GB RAM

Ellory Yu

PostWed Oct 13, 2021 6:54 pm

venison wrote:So I have been doing a few test shots with the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 over the past days. Subjectively I had the least lens distortion at around 24mm and the cleanest picture with the least vignetting somewhere between f/2.8 and f/5.6. I have to say this is a great lens!

Since I upgraded my tripod to a 3 legged thing (that can do anything and now sits on top of my wooden construction) I can move further away. This makes it possible to work with any prime up to about 50mm.
Do you think for example a Sigma 24mm or 35mm f/1.4 would give me even better picture quality with less distortion and chromatic aberration? If not I think I will be getting myself the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8.

venison wrote:Ellory Yu wrote:
Properly lit, you can use the sigma 18-35mm ART EF which is a decent glass.

Thanks for the tip but I am looking for a prime lens.

I told you so earlier in this thread. The Sigma 18-35mm is a very sharp lens and its IQ is just as good as the Sigma primes. At f/1.4, the Sigma primes will have more distortion than the 18-35.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

venison

PostWed Oct 13, 2021 8:37 pm

You are right. Sorry for my ignorance. I must have missed the point when zooms became better than primes! I just watched this video where Gerald answers all of my questions concerning my lens selection!

Do you have an idea on how to prevent the mounting plate from loosening?
--Apple M1 16GB RAM

Ellory Yu

PostThu Oct 14, 2021 5:23 am

venison wrote:Do you have an idea on how to prevent the mounting plate from loosening?

I have been using the arca plate with the 3 Legged Cine Hed and it holds down well. You could look for a cheese plate solution between the BMPCC and the mounting plate as one option.

Return to Cinematography