New iPhone. Better than a BM Camera?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

MrHotter

Re: New iPhone. Better than a BM Camera?

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 6:15 pm

As a small-time video creator with a Pocket 4k budget, I don't think the latest iPhone will replace cinema cameras for what most people would consider movie theatre-worthy productions (yet). That being said, the latest upgrades are another step that will help low-end productions easily get their story out quickly with a bit more quality.

From personal experience, I could see iPhones replacing the mirrorless camera for event coverage (like mirrorless cameras replaced DSLRs and DSLRs replaced shoulder carried video cameras). That's probably the next area where the gear costs and ease of use will get low enough to allow the new guys to bring down the revenue for the older guys. I do remember one wedding film company that created great videos that decided to shoot a wedding on their iPhones. It ended up looking like their previous work, but shot on an iPhone. They've not tried that again, but we will see if the iPhone wedding makes a comeback.

Many of the YouTube/TicToc millionaires that make quick turn around and (subjectively) dumb content for people who love that content are already making a living with their phones. The millions of broke YouTubers will continue to be broke, but at least they will have a new iPhone.
Mac mini
Apple M1 chip with 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, and 16-core Neural Engine
16GB unified memory
512GB internal SSD storage
various external drives

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 7:23 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:Well, Siri dictates me all day along what she thinks I said or wanted to type...
:D

Ain't that the truth. I asked Siri this morning what cinema camera I should get for my upcoming project and she replied "There's the new IPhone 13 Pro with cinematic mode and features." :lol:

Like it :lol:

Ask it what is the best video camera?

John Paines

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 9:41 pm

I'll tell you: Tracfone! Their locked LG and Motorola smartphones go for $49.99 and up, plus a year's service. The image is crap, but so what? The real enemy of low and no-budget filmmaking isn't lack of detail, it's too much of it.

The canniest aesthetic choice and marketing move ever in the American indie film world was a guy who made a first feature on pixelvision, years after that child's toy was discontinued -- this is B&W, maybe 100 lines, which (everyone should know) is perfectly capable of carrying a mature adult drama. And that low-res imagery was evocatively suited to the mystery of the dreamy vampire movie it depicted.

So buy the Tracfone, hire some help with the money you saved, then reduce the detail in post. If you have feature film pretensions and no money, you'll be at least as well off as you would with an iphone13.

JonPais

• Warnings: 1

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 1:25 am

John Brawley wrote:Amazing because the poster here was busy posting about how much product placement there was in Apple TV shows with the inference being that the Apple overlords are forcing Apple TV shows to have apple product in every shot and yet they aren’t forcing anyone to shoot content using iPhone, surely a more likely scenario.

Yes I’ve done Sony shows and YES they want you to shoot Venice if possible or have a good reason why you shouldn’t.
No one needs to tell you that shooting a Sony show with a Sony camera is not product placement.
I’ve done Apple shows and they are threes stages removed from the creative on-set process and have never dictated what I shoot.

JB
First of all, nobody said anything about Apple demanding shows feature an Apple device in each and every shot. Those are your words, Mr Brawley, not mine. Apple has already revealed in federal court that they rely heavily on free product placement in television shows and movies. And there's no disputing the massive amount of product placements in Apple TV+ shows. It's been well documented, not only in court records, but also by industry reports, leading business magazines and papers and even blogs dedicated to Apple product placement, one of which is 80 pages long - which is remarkable, since Apple doesn’t pay for product placements in television.

Secondly, I'm sure you'd agree that it would be imbecilic to expect Apple to dictate that their shows be shot on iPhones. So I'm afraid that is not a more likely scenario.

Apple TV+ is having a tough time attracting viewers, with a market share of just 3% in the US, placing it in seventh place on the list of the most popular streaming services. The overwhelming majority of Apple TV Plus subscribers — a whopping 62% — are on free promotional offers, 29% of whom have no intention of resubscribing once the promo period expires; and only 30% said they plan to renew at the regular $4.99/month price (and the rest were unsure). Forbes, one of the top five financial sites by traffic, has called Apple TV+ DOA.

Disney and WarnerMedia have been strengthening their original content offerings, Apple, not so much. Apple's strategy? to drive hardware sales, incentivizing consumers to purchase its smartphones, tablets, computers or Apple TV set-tops.

CNET writes: “Apple is taking aim at original video because it could be a crucial enticement for people to buy more iPhones and other gadgets. You can’t overstate the importance of the iPhone to Apple. The phone, one of the most popular in the world, still accounts for more than half its sales and was critical to Apple’s march to become the first US company worth $1 trillion."

Former Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller, testifying in federal court, said Apple didn't even need to do any advertising when releasing a new product, relying instead on two strategies: (1) relying on media buzz and (2) product placement.

Schiller added that Apple employees work closely with Hollywood on product placement so its products are used in movies and television shows.

Only by using their streaming service as a golden platform for peddling their merchandise can Apple hope to justify continuing as they've been doing with Apple TV+ (i.e. small subscription base, little new original content, subscribers not renewing and even cancelling).

At the rate of 1.24 product placements each minute of Ted Lasso!

250 product placements across ten episodes of The Morning Show.

704 product shots across 74 episodes of various shows.
https://daejeonchronicles.com

Tim Franks

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 5:33 am

Just FYI Apple iMovie and Clips have been updated with support for ProRes videos, ProRAW images.
Maybe we will see more “Pro” Apps for the iPad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JonPais

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 5:34 am

Tim Franks wrote:Just FYI Apple iMovie and Clips have been updated with support for ProRes videos, ProRAW images.
Maybe we will see more “Pro” Apps for the iPad?

Thanks for the update. Apparently, iMovie now supports Cinematic Mode and can be used to add, adjust, and delete focus points and modify the depth of field effect in Cinematic Mode video.

Kim Janson

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 5:46 am

How do you get the movies or photos out of the iPhone without any iStuff or sending them few at the time over airdrop?

I have used iPhone since iPhone 4 and have not figured this out, most annoying I can not access/copy them as files from computer.
LeViteZer Smooths the movement, www.levitezer.com

Uli Plank

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 6:12 am

Connect by cable and use iTunes or one of the many third-party tools.

I'm regularly using a charger platform by SanDisk called iXpand Base (sic, iStuff again), which makes a backup to an SD card automatically. The problem is not having tools, but the connection being slow.
Don't approach Resolve with your expectations from other NLEs! They are all different.
Resolve Studio 17.2.2 and Fusion Studio 17.2.1, macOS 11.5
iMac 2017 Radeon Pro 580 8 GB VRAM, 32 GB, eGFX Breakway RX 580
Mac mini M1, 16 GB RAM

Tim Franks

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 8:09 am

Kim Janson wrote:How do you get the movies or photos out of the iPhone without any iStuff or sending them few at the time over airdrop?

I have used iPhone since iPhone 4 and have not figured this out, most annoying I can not access/copy them as files from computer.
Also doesn’t it work directly over the Finder?

Uli Plank

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 8:57 am

That's called Airdrop and it's comparatively slow.
Don't approach Resolve with your expectations from other NLEs! They are all different.
Mac mini M1, 16 GB RAM

roger.magnusson

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 9:21 am

iPhone management (including file management) on macOS moved from iTunes to Finder in macOS Catalina in 2019. On Windows you can still use iTunes.

AirDrop is slow, but so is the Lightning port when it comes to 4K ProRes files as it's USB 2.0. Even Wi-Fi can be faster with a third party file share app. iCloud might also be an alternative as it also gives you a backup.

Robert Niessner

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 9:43 am

I am using PhotoSync which is able to sync photos and videos wireless, works in both ways and on a modern 5GHz WLAN transfers are superfast.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 10:33 am

Does it mean we now have ProRes playback on newer iPads? Interesting. Better news than whole iPhone 13 and cinema mode :)

Uli Plank

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 10:47 am

That's still speculation…
Mac mini M1, 16 GB RAM

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 10:56 am

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/09 ... ode-prores

looks for me as confirmed news.

In addition to Cinema mode editing, iMovie also includes support for ProRes video. Available on iPhone 13 Pro, the codec offers high color fidelity and image quality in relatively small files. Importing and editing ProRes on iMovie is limited to iPhone 13, the sixth-generation iPad mini or third generation or later iPad Pro.

Kim Janson

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 11:11 am

I do use mac, the iPhone is visible on finder, but only gives options to synch. I do not understand that work flow and do not want to use it.

Is there a way to see the files on iPhone from mac as a directory, copy single or many files or directories from iPhone as I like. Is there some 3rd party app that does this?

roger.magnusson wrote:iPhone management (including file management) on macOS moved from iTunes to Finder in macOS Catalina in 2019. On Windows you can still use iTunes.

AirDrop is slow, but so is the Lightning port when it comes to 4K ProRes files as it's USB 2.0. Even Wi-Fi can be faster with a third party file share app. iCloud might also be an alternative as it also gives you a backup.

Uli Plank

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 11:40 am

There are quite a few, I like iMazing. It was cheaper when just introduced than now, though.
Mac mini M1, 16 GB RAM

Kim Janson

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 11:56 am

I do not quite understand why I need 3rd party solution to have the most natural workflow to handle the images and videos, but that is fine, if there is solution. However either of these do not look like they are the solution?
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-09-21 at 14.54.58.jpg
Screenshot 2021-09-21 at 14.54.58.jpg (264.74 KiB) Viewed 2728 times

roger.magnusson

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 11:58 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/09/20/apples-imovie-and-clips-updated-with-support-for-cinematic-mode-prores

looks for me as confirmed news.

In addition to Cinema mode editing, iMovie also includes support for ProRes video. Available on iPhone 13 Pro, the codec offers high color fidelity and image quality in relatively small files. Importing and editing ProRes on iMovie is limited to iPhone 13, the sixth-generation iPad mini or third generation or later iPad Pro.

Yes, after installing iPadOS 15 on my 3rd gen iPad Pro I can play ProRes files in the native player. Previously I could only play ProRes in the VLC app.

I'm tempted to say that it works in the native player on Apple TV 4K (1st gen in my case) with tvOS 15 as well, but I suspect what I'm seeing is a re-encode from iCloud as there is no other way I know of getting content into the "Photos" app on Apple TV.

Uli Plank

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 12:11 pm

Mine looks like this:
Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 14.10.25.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 14.10.25.png (846.28 KiB) Viewed 2711 times
Mac mini M1, 16 GB RAM

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 12:12 pm

Yes, after installing iPadOS 15 on my 3rd gen iPad Pro I can play ProRes files in the native player. Previously I could only play ProRes in the VLC app.

How is the performance?
I think it should be way better than VLC and on M1 based iPad should be very good.
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roger.magnusson

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 12:34 pm

Yes, seems better than VLC. The nice thing about the iPad Pro is that you can connect external storage. I tested a UHD ProRes 422 HQ file at 25fps on an external SSD. No issues and skimming the timeline is instant. I don't think 60fps will be a problem for playback but haven't tested yet.

Edit: UHD ProRes 444 60fps works without any obvious issues. There's no way to render ProRes on the iPad Pro though, not in the Files app, iMovie or LumaFusion. So you can't trim clips and get a new ProRes clip. When I tried trimming a ProRes clip on an external SSD it started rendering what I assume was h.264 but when I got back to it I couldn't find the new file.
Last edited by roger.magnusson on Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kim Janson

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 12:36 pm

What application is that? Can you copy a single picture or multiple to a wanted file location? or just tracking to desktop?

Uli Plank wrote:Mine looks like this:

This is mine Big Sur / Finder. I just want to move selected photos to safe location and deleted them from the phone. Rather this should be like normally with any HD. After the selected, and only selected, are on the MacBook SSD I want to access them one by one with finder, just like I normally access video and photos on HD. How difficult can that be?

I do not want to sync the phone to MacBook that only has 128 GB SSD.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-09-21 at 15.38.36.jpg
Screenshot 2021-09-21 at 15.38.36.jpg (251.83 KiB) Viewed 2728 times
Screenshot 2021-09-21 at 15.38.10.jpg
Screenshot 2021-09-21 at 15.38.10.jpg (153.96 KiB) Viewed 2728 times

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 2:26 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:Yes, seems better than VLC. The nice thing about the iPad Pro is that you can connect external storage. I tested a UHD ProRes 422 HQ file at 25fps on an external SSD. No issues and skimming the timeline is instant. I don't think 60fps will be a problem for playback but haven't tested yet.

Edit: UHD ProRes 444 60fps works without any obvious issues. There's no way to render ProRes on the iPad Pro though, not in the Files app, iMovie or LumaFusion. So you can't trim clips and get a new ProRes clip. When I tried trimming a ProRes clip on an external SSD it started rendering what I assume was h.264 but when I got back to it I couldn't find the new file.

Thanks. Yes, no export though. On iPhone 13 Pro ProRes recording will be there, but nothing about exports.

Uli Plank

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 3:29 pm

So, a BM camera, apart from the 12K, is still better :D
Mac mini M1, 16 GB RAM

Kim Janson

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 4:40 pm

At least when it comes to file management :D

Uli Plank wrote:So, a BM camera, apart from the 12K, is still better :D

Tim Franks

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 7:40 pm

Uli Plank wrote:That's called Airdrop and it's comparatively slow.
I actually meant when you plugged the iPhone into the Mac you be able to see the iPhone in the finder and their isn’t a option to pull your media?

Also doesn’t it work over the Image Capture app?

Greg Lee

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 8:07 pm

Great news about ProRes FINALLY coming to the iPad. I’m going to try it in Adobe Rush, I doubt it will work yet, but soon enough.

In regards to the original iPhone point… I think BMD will have to pivot some to keep the BMPCC relevant, and one area is the autofocus, which is at the level of a Canon Powershot that I bought 25 years ago. It doesn’t necessarily have to be as good as Canon or Sony, but it’s kind of embarrassing how terrible it still is. And autofocus is a HUGE usability feature, especially as very few people are shooting big budget narrative films on it, with a focus puller, etc.

The Pocket is a prosumer camera, and it needs usable autofocus.

Tim Franks

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 8:10 pm

Greg Lee wrote:Great news about ProRes FINALLY coming to the iPad. I’m going to try it in Adobe Rush, I doubt it will work yet, but soon enough.

In regards to the original iPhone point… I think BMD will have to pivot some to keep the BMPCC relevant, and one area is the autofocus, which is at the level of a Canon Powershot that I bought 25 years ago. It doesn’t necessarily have to be as good as Canon or Sony, but it’s kind of embarrassing how terrible it still is. And autofocus is a HUGE usability feature, especially as very few people are shooting big budget narrative films on it, with a focus puller, etc.

The Pocket is a prosumer camera, and it needs usable autofocus.
Maybe a stabilizer and better battery performance.
But for that I can imagine they would have to change the design which could bump the price up.

drknsss

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 10:10 pm

Looking at this iPhone production camera issue from the top down, if you are president of a studio and you want to make 1 million a year and millions more in 'bonuses' you better be making some expensive to make films. i was lined up to get a RedOne cinema smartphone back in the day...., what a disappointment that was.

Jamie LeJeune

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 9:22 pm

This hands-on review illustrates the limits of “cinematic mode”
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

John Paines

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 10:20 pm

And even if "cinematic mode" worked exactly as advertised, who says it's "cinematic" in and of itself? There are no estimable movies with deep DOF? 16mm isn't cinematic? And what about large format shoots which appear to actively avoid conspicuous bokah?

"Cinematic" for calling home, maybe.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 10:24 pm

Cool, another PRO feature which has nothing to do with pro. These brilliant brains learn nothing from XDR display massive promo failure. Maybe next time they will be more careful with wording :D

Also, 1080p restriction- very pro orientated feature :) (or maybe Apple protecting RED :lol: )

Jamie LeJeune

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 6:25 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote: Also, 1080p restriction- very pro orientated feature :) (or maybe Apple protecting RED :lol: )
The depth feature is a form of computational photography and the 1080p limitation most likely has to do with processing power. The iPhone records all that depth data and allows it to be manipulated after recording on the iPhone itself. That has limits and 4K most likely lies beyond whatever the threshold is.
www.cinedocs.com

JonPais

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 6:54 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote: Also, 1080p restriction- very pro orientated feature :) (or maybe Apple protecting RED :lol: )
The depth feature is a form of computational photography and the 1080p limitation most likely has to do with processing power. The iPhone records all that depth data and allows it to be manipulated after recording on the iPhone itself. That has limits and 4K most likely lies beyond whatever the threshold is.
Exactly. And there's hope that in the future, Apple will come out with a more powerful processor that can handle higher resolution at 24p. I occasionally add blur in post to footage I've shot with my camera so I think it's a pretty neat trick for the phone.

Uli Plank

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 7:16 am

But it still looks ugly on the edges. What looked even worse in the Whodunnit example is the false bokeh on shots that were obviously wide-angle and deep DoF. They even had similar blocking as famous shots by Orson Welles, who was the first to cultivate deep DoF in cinema in a brilliant way (as in Citizen Kane). I really cringed when seeing that.

But all those people who thought "now I'll become a famous DoP" when they laid their hands on a Canon 5D Mark II will still believe that's "Pro".
Mac mini M1, 16 GB RAM

Uli Plank

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 7:18 am

Kim Janson wrote:I do not want to sync the phone to MacBook that only has 128 GB SSD.

With iMazing you can choose an external disk for the destination. And it's definitely faster by wire than by Wi-Fi.
Mac mini M1, 16 GB RAM

Kim Janson

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 8:25 am

what is the iMazing, where to get that, the two iMazing in apple store do not look like the tool you describe.

Uli Plank

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 9:49 am

Nothing is easier than that: imazing.com

Just like with Resolve, I tend to avoid the App Store if I can get it from the source…
Mac mini M1, 16 GB RAM

Kim Janson

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 4:36 pm

Thanks, I do prefer though apple store a lot. The SW there has to fill certain criteria's. The SW from source can contain what ever, and especially when it need to be allowed to access file system.

"Get a trusted software to transfer and save your music, messages, files and data...."

Uli Plank wrote:Nothing is easier than that: imazing.com

Just like with Resolve, I tend to avoid the App Store if I can get it from the source…

Uli Plank

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 5:35 pm

Sorry for getting off-topic, but why should I trust Apple more than this author?
Apple is making a big thing of data security, but Siri is listening to everything on my iPhone by default.
If I don’t like that, I need to switch it off one app by another.

There is no privacy any more, it’s an illusion.
Mac mini M1, 16 GB RAM

Kim Janson

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 5:52 pm

"There is no privacy any more, it’s an illusion."

Yes, but the question still is by who and for what purpose the data is used.

Anyway, need now someway to get the selected photos and videos of the phone to free some memory.

Uli Plank

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 7:45 pm

Mac mini M1, 16 GB RAM

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 8:59 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:

Of course it's and has massive imperfections as well.

timbutt2

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 12:52 am

I get my iPhone 13 Pro tomorrow. Should I test it against the UMPG2? Seems like an unfair comparison. The URSA will win hands down.

"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2, Pocket 6K Pro, Pocket 6K, & Cinema Camera 2.5K EF
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Kim Janson

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 10:43 am

Now on my home MacPro that has 500 GB available on SSD and this is a 128 GB phone.

And guess what, does it work, of course not... I do not believe Apple engineers are doing this bad SW it seems to be pretty widely spread problem.

Screenshot 2021-09-24 at 13.38.07.jpg
Screenshot 2021-09-24 at 13.38.07.jpg (46.51 KiB) Viewed 1700 times

Now imagine this kind of problems when trying to free memory for tomorrows shoot....

Edit: There was plenty of solution proposals, restart phone/mac, free more space on computer... non of that worked. there was plenty of companies selling a solution iTranferallyourstuff, I did not try those. The solution was freeing up space on iPhone, it had only 400 Mb available. Why that was needed, why Apple does not tell the problem is phone memory, I do not know. now it is backed up, but that does not much help as I can not access those files from computer...

It seems the nature of this game is, to make it as difficult as possible to manage photos, videos and other files outside Apple ecosystem, so people would pay for iCloud storage and buy new phones with bigger memory. I do not much like that.

Now I have been waiting Photos to finish this preparation for 15 minutes, I do not think it will...

Screenshot 2021-09-24 at 14.31.21.jpg
Screenshot 2021-09-24 at 14.31.21.jpg (140.33 KiB) Viewed 1660 times

This is how I feel for Apple right now. It seems I must give up and download one of theses suspicious 3rd party applications to get the job done.

Screenshot 2021-09-24 at 14.56.07.jpg
Screenshot 2021-09-24 at 14.56.07.jpg (649.25 KiB) Viewed 1581 times

Kays Alatrakchi

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 3:59 pm

This might be a bit premature, but IMHO the "killer feature" of the new iPhone is the video depth map that is recorded with it.

Anyone with even a small amount of VFX/CG experience knows how incredibly useful depth maps can be.

What I really want to know is if there is any way to extract the depth map apart from the footage. I assume that this is saved along with the frame data as a separate greyscale channel in the file akin to the alpha channel.

Extracting the depth map from the footage would mean a massive amount of flexibility in post in a way that nobody has ever experienced before with footage.
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com
Resolve 17.2.2, Mac OS X 11.4 (Big Sur), i9 10980XE, 64Gb RAM, RX 5700 XT GPU, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 11.5.1, 16Gb RAM

roger.magnusson

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 8:14 pm

If it's the same lidar as in the iPhone 12 Pro it's quite underwhelming in terms of resolution.

Travis Hodgkinson

PostSat Sep 25, 2021 1:01 am

Kim Janson wrote:Now on my home MacPro that has 500 GB available on SSD and this is a 128 GB phone.

And guess what, does it work, of course not... I do not believe Apple engineers are doing this bad SW it seems to be pretty widely spread problem.

Screenshot 2021-09-24 at 13.38.07.jpg

Now imagine this kind of problems when trying to free memory for tomorrows shoot....

Edit: There was plenty of solution proposals, restart phone/mac, free more space on computer... non of that worked. there was plenty of companies selling a solution iTranferallyourstuff, I did not try those. The solution was freeing up space on iPhone, it had only 400 Mb available. Why that was needed, why Apple does not tell the problem is phone memory, I do not know. now it is backed up, but that does not much help as I can not access those files from computer...

It seems the nature of this game is, to make it as difficult as possible to manage photos, videos and other files outside Apple ecosystem, so people would pay for iCloud storage and buy new phones with bigger memory. I do not much like that.

Now I have been waiting Photos to finish this preparation for 15 minutes, I do not think it will...

Screenshot 2021-09-24 at 14.31.21.jpg

This is how I feel for Apple right now. It seems I must give up and download one of theses suspicious 3rd party applications to get the job done.

Screenshot 2021-09-24 at 14.56.07.jpg

Maybe Apple is just not for you big dawg...

I've literally never had issues backing up or moving files across.

I've worked for Apple for over 5 years and in my time, it was clear maybe Apple just wasn't the solution some people were after.

Also iCloud is like $1.50 for the starting tier....
Travis Hodgkinson
EPIC VIDEOS
epicvideos.email@gmail.com | www.epicvideos.com.au

Jamie LeJeune

PostSat Sep 25, 2021 1:40 am

Travis Hodgkinson wrote: I've literally never had issues backing up or moving files across.
Freeing up space on an iPhone has never been simple.

I've had an iPhone since the original and I've been exclusively on Mac since 2007. And file management on iOS has never been as straight forward and flexible as managing files on macOS. It is what it is.
Last edited by Jamie LeJeune on Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.cinedocs.com
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography