6K Pro Underwater

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Paul Jonathan

6K Pro Underwater

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 8:41 pm

Since I couldn't find any up to date info on the forum, I was wondering if anyone here had any experience or advice shooting with the 6K or the 6K Pro underwater, especially in terms of housings and splash bags. Cannot find the Nauticam one for rent anywhere near me unfortunately so happy for advice on other solutions.

Fabián Aguirre

Re: 6K Pro Underwater

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 3:35 am

I've used a latex "housing" on the 4K successfully but, if I had to do it again, I'd consider Salty Surf Housings. I saw one made for a Sony DSLR and was very impressed.

https://saltysurfhousings.com/product/b ... o-housing/
Fabián Aguirre
Cinematographer / Steadicam Operator
www.theunderstory.co

Johannes Jonsson

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 10:02 am

Take a look on https://www.nauticam.com/
They have great housing for Pocket 4k and 6k, they offer power bank for them inside the housing.
Not sure thought about the 6k Pro yet because the body is bigger then OG 6k.
Johannes

Paul Jonathan

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 2:59 pm

Thanks for the replies. Nauticam does not offer a case for the 6K Pro, only for the 6K. They are still evaluating whether to invest in the cost of developing a case. Saltysurf does not have any rentals in Europe unfortunately, so both of those options are out. If anyone has any other advice I would be extremely grateful.

Best,
Paul

ChristopherSeguine

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 4:44 pm

I used the 6k in a Ewa splash bag - BZ100, for a small section of a larger project. They are meant for large dslrs which nobody in their right mind would take underwater with this bag, so you can find them super cheap. Fits fine, working in the surf or on the surface its fine. Below the surface you have all the normal bag problems - compresses and controls are difficult, so lock the touch screen, start/stop is fine. screen visibility was very poor, but would be much better on the 6k pro. Its has a good amount of room at the base, I had the usbc ssd and a sony battery in there. For surf video sure, for some underwater shots ok if you know the limitations, long term underwater - no, too frustrating.
Primary: TRX40 Xtreme (3970x), Decklink Extreme 12G, 2x RTX3090, Areca Raid
Primary source: Red 8k .r3d, Phantom .cine, secondary footage: ArriRaw, DJI X5 CDNG

Return to Cinematography