Integrated GPU or discrete GPU and resolve

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

ricardo marty

Integrated GPU or discrete GPU and resolve

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 4:57 pm

Bmd states that at minimum DR nle will run on integrated GPU or discrete GPU with at least 2GB of VRAM. What type of content can I expect to do on such a laptop? I want a small light LT for fieldwork to do at most 2 min timelines with a layer for broll, a layer for a bug, another for subtitles, with two audio layers. I finish in 1090 or 2k.

Would this mean just 1080, 2k? and zero cc?

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

lost_soul

Re: Integrated GPU or discrete GPU and resolve

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 6:16 pm

You should go search in the resolve forum rather that the cinematography forum. While it is technically possible to edit on a rig like that you aren't going to want to. The cheapest platform for editing right now would be the MAC M1 machines. If you do get a PC based system get some thing with a NVidia discrete GPU. If it doesn't support Cuda or openCL it won't even launch. Again check the resolve forum.
Centos 8
RX 580
AMDGPU-pro
Studio (What ever the latest is)

rick.lang

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 6:18 pm

The performance of the recently released 14” or 16”MacBook Pro with the M1Pro or M1Max system-on-chip pretty much destroys this question when it comes to a video editing workflow. As thoroughly tested by AnandTech, the M1Max with its integrated 32-core GPU (and hardware integrated ProRes) is more than sufficient for your task. Paired with the latest DaVinci Resolve (or even iMovie), you’ll be grinning.

This configuration can even compete with the Mac Pro 2019 with Afterburner (hardware ProRes) so I hate to think what the future Mac Pro 2022 with M2Max (or some variation of that) will do my three year old workstation.
Rick Lang

ricardo marty

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 7:47 pm

rick.lang wrote:The performance of the recently released 14” or 16”MacBook Pro with the M1Pro or M1Max system-on-chip pretty much destroys this question when it comes to a video editing workflow. As thoroughly tested by AnandTech, the M1Max with its integrated 32-core GPU (and hardware integrated ProRes) is more than sufficient for your task. Paired with the latest DaVinci Resolve (or even iMovie), you’ll be grinning.

This configuration can even compete with the Mac Pro 2019 with Afterburner (hardware ProRes) so I hate to think what the future Mac Pro 2022 with M2Max (or some variation of that) will do my three year old workstation.

I have a good pc and laptop but I want something light for field work. Not doing anything complicated. I don't want to go apple unless I can use windows on it. Thank you

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

lost_soul

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 8:25 pm

It appears the uber macs don't get you much over the original M1s. The one thing they do give you is a port to plug a monitor into. I edit on a 32" 4k monitor and I can barly read the fonts as it is I wouldn't want to try it on a little laptop screen. As for windows I think you can still run that in a VM on these but I am not sure.

Centos 8
RX 580
AMDGPU-pro
Studio (What ever the latest is)

Ellory Yu

PostFri Oct 29, 2021 12:45 am

I think for the moment the Apple MBP M1 Max with 32 core, 64Gb ram, and 2TB SSD is the only contender that will give you a satisfactory workflow for field work. The display is a big plus when outdoors too. I’m not discounting others but Resolve 17.4 has BMD adding performance features specifically for the M1 Pro and Max. And as a bonus, you can even use it at your stationary location when you’re not in the field.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Frank Engel

PostFri Oct 29, 2021 9:31 am

lost_soul wrote:As for windows I think you can still run that in a VM on these but I am not sure.

Only ARM builds of Windows and Microsoft has not been licensing this in any readily accessible way for most users.

As to that video, very few of his tests were of any real value in comparing the performance of the notebooks. Editing won't stress the system nearly as much as color grading and applying FX, which he did none of from what I can see. Fusion is a bit better of a test, and that did show a difference when rendering (uncached playback - the first time through). Most of his other tests have performance driven primarily from decoding of RAW files where the difference between the M1 and M1 Pro/Max should be expected to be relatively minimal. Each frame is unique so there is little opportunity to leverage the greater memory capacity of the machines and the GPU advancements will not come significantly into play.

I do think the original M1 systems are adequate for most editing purposes as long as correct optimizations are in play, but for heavier activities such as complex Fusion compositions as well as heavier color grading and the like the new models are much more likely to make a bigger difference. His Fusion composition was interesting but did not strike me as being one of the multi-thousand-node comps that some professional compositors work with somewhat regularly... it would be much more interesting to see one of those in a comparison between those three systems.

All being said, in context of this discussion, the OP seems to be primarily interested in editing performance, and the video does help to drive home that the original M1 models can keep up just fine when doing that as long as you are using appropriate settings.

Uli Plank

PostSat Oct 30, 2021 8:46 am

Second that. If you have a strong workstation for finishing at your workplace, even an MB Air M1 is fine for editing in the field with some optimisations.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

danielpanev

PostSat Oct 30, 2021 2:37 pm

Third that :D
If you need to do some "light" colour grading on the go the MacBook Air (or the MacBook Pro 13" with the original M1 chip) are very hard to beat - you can easily get 10+ hours on the battery running Resolve + it will be super smooth doing cutting...

ricardo marty

PostSun Oct 31, 2021 11:18 pm

danielpanev wrote:Third that :D
If you need to do some "light" colour grading on the go the MacBook Air (or the MacBook Pro 13" with the original M1 chip) are very hard to beat - you can easily get 10+ hours on the battery running Resolve + it will be super smooth doing cutting...

Been reading that there are some programs that will let me use Windows apps without installing windows and others that will let me run windows 11. I will check into that and maybe ill get the air which is almost exactly the same as the pro.

Ricardo Marty

Return to Cinematography