CONTAX ZEISS VS CANON FD | ( BMPCC 4K / 6K )

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Florent Piovesan

CONTAX ZEISS VS CANON FD | ( BMPCC 4K / 6K )

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 1:33 pm

Hey guys,

In this video I talk about 2 very popular options for filmmakers when it comes to vintage lenses which are the Contax Zeiss and the Canon FDs.

I wanted to share my thoughts on them, why I have the two, the differences and similarities and which I would recommend based on my experience using them on the BMPCC 4K, 6K and 6K Pro.

I know a lot of people these days are still considering buying vintage lenses so hopefully this video can help you in choosing which one to go with.

Which one would you get or which one do you already have ?

Let me know if you have any questions :).

Cheers,
Flo
https://www.oftwolands.com

Ellory Yu

Re: CONTAX ZEISS VS CANON FD | ( BMPCC 4K / 6K )

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 11:21 pm

Wasn't there an issue with adapting FD to EF? I don't seem to recall what that was anymore.

Flo, which FD to EF adapter are you using with the Pocket 6K?
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Uli Plank

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 1:38 am

I'm wondering too. You can easily adapt to FDs to MFT, but it's too short for EF.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Ellory Yu

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 5:18 am

Uli Plank wrote:I'm wondering too. You can easily adapt to FDs to MFT, but it's too short for EF.

I think that was it but it’s even a while. It would be nice if I can adapt FD to EF. I have a few of them from my AE1 camera from long ago. :)
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

John Griffin

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 6:35 am

Fd can’t be adapted easily to EF. You either use an image degrading adapter with an optical element or pay for someone to modify the lens. IMO unless you have the special L version FD lenses the later is not worth doing. FD lenses generally have low micro contrast which makes them useful to compare with Contax Zeiss which have a modern high micro contrast look to them. Contax Zeiss along with Leica R have the best mechanical integrity and smoothest focus action of all the legacy SLR lenses which makes them especially suitable for filming. Fdn have quite poor mechanical integrity esp now they are very old as many of the plastic components have not aged or worn well so focus ring slop and backlash is common.lastly when adapting to M43 the low micro contrast and rather marginal resolution of some models really doesn’t play well with high pixel density small sensors although for the moiré prone P4k this may be an advantage…..
IME if you can’t afford a set of Contax primes then look at Nikon.

Uli Plank

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 9:55 am

Takumars are nice too and fit EF.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Florent Piovesan

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 12:57 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:Wasn't there an issue with adapting FD to EF? I don't seem to recall what that was anymore.

Flo, which FD to EF adapter are you using with the Pocket 6K?

Yes, it is not perfect. I have to close the FD lens to 2.8 (or 5.6 for some) at least to get a sharp image. I use the K&F one which is the same I used for the FD to MFT and also for some of my Contax, except this one has a lens correction and locking mechanism.
Not ideal but it does the job. I prefer to use the Fd on the BMPCC 4K and keep my Contax Zeiss for the 6K :).

Adam Langdon

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 5:53 pm

i appreciate this style and type of information. It would have been helpful to me a year or so ago.

Now that i've settled on Cine glass, i never wanna go back to adapting stills lenses.
The affordability of current Cine lenses with Character and color consistency are becoming more and more.
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

Florent Piovesan

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 9:41 am

Adam Langdon wrote:i appreciate this style and type of information. It would have been helpful to me a year or so ago.

Now that i've settled on Cine glass, i never wanna go back to adapting stills lenses.
The affordability of current Cine lenses with Character and color consistency are becoming more and more.

Glad you do, thank you !!
I like using Cine glass as well, less hassle for sure. I am very happy with the S35 Meike series :).

Return to Cinematography