? about aspect ratio and audio

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Creative110

? about aspect ratio and audio

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 3:18 pm

Hi,

I have an idea for a short that would benefit from using the confines of the 4:3 format. Is that something I would specify in Resolve or in camera? I looked around the menu on the camera but didn't see that as a choice. How would I go about having frame lines on the monitor so I know where the edges are?

In this short I want to record a phone conversation but only one side will be seen, the person on the other end will not be seen, only heard. How should I go about this? Set a mic close to the ear piece, turn it on speaker?

When I was a kid we had a small reel to reel with the necessary tools to attach a handset to record a phone call. So simple...

Hope this makes sense, thanks.

timbutt2

Re: ? about aspect ratio and audio

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 3:40 pm

There are 4x3 aspect ratio guides in the monitor settings of the camera. Then you can either set your Resolve timeline aspect ratio to reflect 4x3 or you could use output banking set to 4x3 on a 16x9 timeline.

4x3 is ironically making a comeback. I've been debating doing a little something in the aspect ratio as well.

As for the phone conversation, record good clean audio of both ends of the conversation and then in post audio use the tools in the Fairlight page to give the speaker coming through the phone the "effect" of coming from the phone speaker. This can be done using the Equalizer, but there may be other methods.

Quick google search got me this tutorial video:
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Ellory Yu

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 5:01 pm

My recent film had a flashback that, to give it the periodic look as it was in the 70s, was shot using the UMP G2 in 4:3 and incorporated in the timeline as such. Everything that Tim said above about frame guides is how you would use to frame it in camera and then set the timeline at post.

For audio, the same as Tim suggested. We record the unseen conversation and in post, use a phone effect filter to process the receiver audio, and place it on the audio timeline where it needs to be played.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Creative110

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 5:45 pm

Thanks for the responses. I was wondering in this modern era if the phone effect could be done in Fairlight. Good to know.
The 4:3 is good for a feeling of confinement.
Thanks,
Chris

Return to Cinematography