Ursa Mini 12k -highest quality? CFast vs U.2

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

GB_Austin

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 5:13 pm

What's the fastest high-quality option for shooting in 12k (24fps),
...dual CFast cards?
...or U.2 drives in the Blackmagic URSA Mini Recorder?

I need to shoot for hours in 12k. (24fps)

A pair of Angelbird CFAST cards have been working fine and not dropping frames
-but the ExAscend 3.8TB U.2 SSD seems to fail
-and original cable may be faulty. I've tried thunderbolt4 cables and other USB3 2.0 cables and I'm still searching for a good cable.
Ursa Mini 12k BMCC6k FF lenses: Tokina 50-135 PL, DZOfilm 25 PL, Nisi Athena 35 PL. EZrig, DJI gimbal, Blackmagic Speed Editor, Tilta Nucleus-M focus motors and grips, Nucleus Nano II. other cameras: Nikon Z9 and Nikon Z8.

Jamie LeJeune

Re: Ursa Mini 12k -highest quality? CFast vs U.2

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 7:14 pm

That ExAscend should be working at 24fps in 12K without dropping frames.

I’d contact BMD support via email about it.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Ellory Yu

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 7:28 pm

Personally, I will stay with a dual CFast cards. Angelbirds - yes, my recommendation too.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Uli Plank

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 1:28 am

Plus the Angelbird reader.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Patrick Spectra

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 1:59 am

I have the 960g version and it was replaced with a new one that they had updated to work with the latest Ursa firmware.

From Exascend:

“We found the recognition problem is caused by insufficient power supply from URSA Mini Pro 12K.

We did several cross test and found latest URSA recorder firmware (FW7.4.1) decrease power voltage to SSD when connecting with URSA Mini Pro 12K and the restricted power voltage is less than industrial standard. When power management IC detects insufficient power voltage, the SSD won’t be active to prevent data loss.
The restriction instruction comes from camera (via Type-C connector), that’s why the detective problem only happens when recorder connects to the camera, but SSD works normal when connecting to the laptop.

We’ll update the power management IC firmware to ensure the SSD could still be active even detects low power voltage from Mini Pro 12K. At the same time we’ll raise the issue to Blackmagic Design since the restricted power voltage do not fit industrial standard.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GB_Austin

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 5:11 am

Thanks, Jamie. You’ve done a lot of testing and your posts on many subjects have been really helpful.

As for CFast Cards, I have two sets of Angelbird matched pairs and the Angelbird reader and those have been working fine. Everything I've bought from them over the years always works nicely.

And Patrick, I think your issue is what I have and you’ve been in touch with Exascend.
I’ll contact them tomorrow. The card is 35 days old and with all the variables I've tried to narrow down, I think this SSD is the weak link. It makes sense to me after learning what they told you. I’ll see if I can get
a replacement or firmware flash from Exascend. I’ll post my findings and if they make things right. This forum has been really great. Thank you all for your help.

If I understand things correctly, CFast might be my best option for high-quality when needed
..but the U.2 SSD will give me lots more footage time
..So, I think the correct answer for me ...is to build out my system for both options.
Ursa Mini 12k BMCC6k FF lenses: Tokina 50-135 PL, DZOfilm 25 PL, Nisi Athena 35 PL. EZrig, DJI gimbal, Blackmagic Speed Editor, Tilta Nucleus-M focus motors and grips, Nucleus Nano II. other cameras: Nikon Z9 and Nikon Z8.

rick.lang

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 5:10 pm

I use Wise CFast2 1 TB card which has a write speed of 450 MB/s. Angelbird AV Pro has sustained write of 450 MB/s. Both have very good reputations. They imply 4K DCI support but Angelbird specifically recommends their match pack for the UMPro12K.

Wise refers to the Blackmagic Support maintained list of approved drives.

Certainly there are SSD with larger capacities, but for production work the CFast2 is preferable.
Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 4:05 am

And the matched packs are excellent for split recording, where both cards are used by alternating frames.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

GB_Austin

PostSat Jan 01, 2022 7:37 pm

The new camera firmware fixed all my recording problems. I found that the Angelbird usb-C cable works great if that was an issue. ..but Blackmagic is sending me a new usb-c replacement cable, as well.
The matched pair 512GB Angelbird-CFast cards always works with any setting. They're great!

The ExAscend u2 drive started working with the newest BlackMagic Camera firmware that is the newest one from a week or two ago. So the ExAscend U2 SSD works very well in 12k/16:9/8;1/24fps. -and that's mostly what I shoot in anyway.

The ExAscend SSD does not work with some of the higher some of the higher settings or some of the constant quality settings, so if I need that then I use the Angelbird matched pair CFast cards. I like that with the ExAscend I have a lot of record time. Sometimes, shooting news or events I don't have the luxury to change out cards ..or I'll miss getting the shot.

So, anybody reading this post, I'd suggest going getting both options CFast and U.2 SSD ...cauz' you're gonna need 'em.

Jamie LeJeune

PostSun Jan 02, 2022 1:33 am

GB_Austin wrote:So the ExAscend U2 SSD works very well in 12k/16:9/8;1/24fps.
The ExAscend SSD does not work with some of the higher some of the higher settings or some of the constant quality settings, so if I need that then I use the Angelbird matched pair CFast cards.
The ExAscend should be working up to 12K DCI Blackmagic RAW 8:1 at 50 fps as stated in the supported list document. Is it not hitting that spec for you?
The Micron 7300 Max U.2 disk (also on that list) that I have does work at that frame size + frame rate consistently. In my testing of using dual Angelbird cards (I own 2x 512GB), I can't reliably record any higher data rate than what I get from that Micron U.2 + SSD recorder. So, I haven't seen any advantage to dual card recording over simply using the SSD Recorder.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

GB_Austin

PostSun Jan 02, 2022 4:15 am

Yea, Jamie ..the ExAscend seems to stop recording after a few seconds of 12k/16:9/5:1/24fps and the Angelbird CFast cards seem to record everything great. The ExAscend U.2 seems to work great if I don't push it and I know I need to chart out what is working and what it can't do. Blackmagic is sending me a new usb-C cable and I've tried other Thunderbolt cables, some with success. I"ll know in a few days if that was the weak link.

It's great info you offer that you don't notice advantages to dual card vs SSD recording and I know I have lot of testing to do and enter in my chart where I'm writing down things that work. I'm looking right now at buying a Micron 7300 Max U.2 disk like you're enjoying. Great to know that it's reliable and before sleep ..I'm getting one. ...Great help, Jamie. Thanks!
..gary in austin,tx

Jeffrey D Mathias

PostSun Jan 02, 2022 2:54 pm

Duel Angelbird cards (the match set 512 & 256) in the URSA 12K have been working fine for me at 16:9 12K 60p Q3 and 16:9 12K 24p Q0. This is shooting wildlife and nature with only a very rare drop frame if all trees in focus and not moving. (in those cases I will use the next higher Q)

One thing I would like to point out with using duel cards is the following: Usually I am filming at 60p or even in Super16 6K 60p 120fps. Resolve gets bogged down no mater with the 12K camera. But to make it less bogged down I can put only the Braw files from one card in the timeline bin and work with it at 30p. That along with maybe half res playback helps a lot. Don't get me wrong... it can still struggle... but not so much.
AMD Threadripper 1950x 16-core 3.4 GHz
96 GB Crucial DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM RAM
AsRock Fatal1ty x399 motherboard
AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200 GPU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 22H2, build 19045.3208
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
iPad Pro M2

GB_Austin

PostSun Jan 02, 2022 3:36 pm

Thanks for sharing your settings with the dual Angelbird CFast cards that work for you. Very Heipul.
And that you can film at 60fps and use one card in your timeline and get 30fps, ..that's quite awesome!

Return to Cinematography