GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Florent Piovesan

  • Posts: 350
  • Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:23 am
  • Location: Sydney, Australia

GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostMon May 09, 2022 12:45 pm

Hey everyone,
Here is a selection of shots taken with the Great Joy 50mm 1.8x anamorphic on the BMPCC6K.


Thought some of you might interested in this :).

This was my first time shooting anamorphic and I really enjoyed the experience!
For this test footage I wanted to try the lens in as many situations as possible which include nighttime, bright and sunny daytime, nature, city, people etc and of course I also shot in harsh and direct light to see the flares.

Filmed on the BMPCC 6K, in 6K BRAW. All handheld.
(Original x1.8 desqueeze ratio)

Stay tuned for the review!

Let me know if you have any questions :).

Cheers,
Flo
https://www.oftwolands.com
Offline
User avatar

Travis Hodgkinson

  • Posts: 504
  • Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:30 am
  • Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostMon May 09, 2022 1:38 pm

I’m really liking the imagery from that lens. So tempted to throw down some money for one!
As a video, beautifully shot and lovely sounding :)
Freelance Camera Op & Cinematographer based in Brisbane, Australia.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weapons: URSA 12K + Canon XF605 + Hero 10 + Pocket 6K Pro
Optics: DZO Pictor Zooms + SLR Magic Hyper Prime + Tokina Cinema Zoom
Offline

Florent Piovesan

  • Posts: 350
  • Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:23 am
  • Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostMon May 09, 2022 2:01 pm

Travis Hodgkinson wrote:I’m really liking the imagery from that lens. So tempted to throw down some money for one!
As a video, beautifully shot and lovely sounding :)


Thank you for the positive feedback, glad you liked it :)
I am really impressed by this lens so far! Hard to shoot with anything else now haha.
https://www.oftwolands.com
Offline
User avatar

Travis Hodgkinson

  • Posts: 504
  • Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:30 am
  • Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostTue May 10, 2022 2:47 am

I personally haven't shot with Anamorphic lenses yet, but am very keen on getting my hand on some decent glass. As an entry into that space, this does look like a GREAT option.
Having just dropped monies on an EasyRig Vario 5, I think it's going to have to wait :D
Freelance Camera Op & Cinematographer based in Brisbane, Australia.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weapons: URSA 12K + Canon XF605 + Hero 10 + Pocket 6K Pro
Optics: DZO Pictor Zooms + SLR Magic Hyper Prime + Tokina Cinema Zoom
Offline

Florent Piovesan

  • Posts: 350
  • Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:23 am
  • Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostTue May 10, 2022 7:10 am

Travis Hodgkinson wrote:I personally haven't shot with Anamorphic lenses yet, but am very keen on getting my hand on some decent glass. As an entry into that space, this does look like a GREAT option.
Having just dropped monies on an EasyRig Vario 5, I think it's going to have to wait :D


Yes, I think as a first anamorphic lens this is pretty sweet!!
Haha the eternal gear-buying dilemma! I love my Easyrig and actually used it for the whole garden sequence in this video :)
https://www.oftwolands.com
Offline
User avatar

Travis Hodgkinson

  • Posts: 504
  • Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:30 am
  • Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostTue May 10, 2022 7:13 am

Nice man!

Yeah trying to operate my U12K rig tipping nearly 11kgs handheld or over shoulder mounted is starting to become less fun haha,

EasyRig for the win!

I'll hold out for the amber flare version of the lens too.
Freelance Camera Op & Cinematographer based in Brisbane, Australia.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weapons: URSA 12K + Canon XF605 + Hero 10 + Pocket 6K Pro
Optics: DZO Pictor Zooms + SLR Magic Hyper Prime + Tokina Cinema Zoom
Offline

thefilmaddict

  • Posts: 77
  • Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:58 pm
  • Real Name: Jason Morris

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostTue May 10, 2022 6:34 pm

I was wondering about this lens. So this is their first anamorphic EF lens I believe. I think they plan on making more. Is 50mm wide enough to shoot an entire film with? Can you get wide shots or is it really tight? Just trying to imagine how it works with super 35.
Offline
User avatar

dondidnod

  • Posts: 495
  • Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:52 am
  • Location: Castro Valley, CA
  • Real Name: Donald Keller

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostTue May 10, 2022 6:46 pm

Travis Hodgkinson wrote:Nice man!

Yeah trying to operate my U12K rig tipping nearly 11kgs handheld or over shoulder mounted is starting to become less fun haha,

EasyRig for the win!

The Easyrig Minimax costs $1,259 USD.

Is it guaranteed to live up to it's expectations at that price? If it doesn't, wouldn't it be better to have less of an investment at stake?

"CAME-TV has recently introduced a new support vest for gimbal operators, the CAME-TV Gimbal Support Vest GS16. This system can support camera setups weighing up to 18kg. It is adjustable to fit the user’s height and should help distribute the load on the lower part of the body. It is now available to order for $398."

CAME-TV Gimbal Support Vest GS16 Released

https://www.cined.com/came-tv-gimbal-su ... -released/
Offline
User avatar

Nathan_H

  • Posts: 31
  • Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:12 am
  • Real Name: Nathan Henneton

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostTue May 10, 2022 6:53 pm

I have a Vario 5 for 3 years, it saves my back, reliable, no worry about it breaking or droping cameras.
I've checked it in luggage like 25 times, bring it to the desert of Morroco, to studio sets, from URSA, RED, Alexa rig... nothing to worry.

Tried the mini max... a little too light for an URSA rig to be honest, fine for a pocket rig.

Don't forget the stabil arm if you want more smooth shots.


As for Handheld vs Easyrig, it's quite different, for a proper handheld rig, I would look for an Ergorig and avoid every came-TV / chinese copy.

Don't forget that the "investiment" is not in the camera but in your body, and the longevity of your work.
An easyrig will last you way longer than any camera on the market. It's purpose is only to save you spline and help you hold longer shots and days of work.

The irony in this is that your handheld look will always look better when the camera is heavy. You can't fight gravity.
An OG Camera operator in France once told me that a good handheld is a camera with a weight between "12 to 18kg" adding "12 on the light side". And I agree with that.

Don't go cheap on your back.
https://vimeo.com/nathanhenneton/showreel2019
Offline
User avatar

dondidnod

  • Posts: 495
  • Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:52 am
  • Location: Castro Valley, CA
  • Real Name: Donald Keller

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostTue May 10, 2022 7:58 pm

Nathan_H wrote:Tried the mini max... a little too light for an URSA rig to be honest, fine for a pocket rig.

...As for Handheld vs Easyrig, it's quite different, for a proper handheld rig, I would look for an Ergorig and avoid every came-TV / chinese copy.

What if you find out that you are introducing shakiness that is transmitted from your hips to the camera? In that case you would be standing still to avoid it and using it to just reduce wobble instead. Although the Minimax has an adjustable tension feature, of what benefit would that be if you're standing still?

AustralianImage wrote:

"I have both a Flycam Galaxy vest and spring arm setup and an Easyrig clone and, while they work within their own capabilities, I hate them both.
I wanted to use the Galaxy vest with my gimbal, not a Glidecam setup, and for the life of me I can't get it to work smoothly enough to eliminate vertical bobbing while moving about outdoors. Additionally, it doesn't afford as much comfortable support as expected.
The Easyrig clone does it's job as long as you don't want to move about, but it has its limitations because of the design. The Easyrig is fine if you want to video more or less standing still or just to move the camera while standing still.
Maybe the actual brand name products work better, but I wasn't going to spend so much on gear that would not get used constantly, especially the Easyrig. I've found a better way Not to get what I want by using a heavy duty strap and it seems to work as well as either of the other two."

r/videography Glide cam and vest vs easy rig?

https://www.reddit.com/r/videography/co ... _easy_rig/

innertaming1 wrote:

"In my experience, the easy rig will dramatically increase the amount of handheld shake when following or running with a protagonist. It might be overload if you want some smooth motion. Testing would be helpful if you can get your hands on the rig before your shoot!"

whitleyheights wrote:

"...If you are using a lighter camera like a A7s, I might recommend going with a lighter build and going without easy rig. Use your dominant arm as a gimbal and use your other arm as a guide (kind of like how Steadicam operators work) I do this whenever I’m shooting without support. I usually only use easy rigs if I’m shooting with Arri Alexa mini, LF or Sony Venice. Sometimes a lighter camera build can make the easy rig more of a hinderance than helpful."

ManuelStump wrote:

"An easy rig is useless if the operator is moving. It transfers all the movement of your hips into the camera."

WalterReddit wrote:

"I honestly hate the look of the easy rig when running. It just rolls back and forth. I prefer handheld with either a machine gun style grip, or just the skater mode top handle. But it is very taxing physically."

r/cinematography Using Easyrig For Running Shots

https://www.reddit.com/r/cinematography ... ing_shots/
Offline
User avatar

Travis Hodgkinson

  • Posts: 504
  • Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:30 am
  • Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostWed May 11, 2022 3:46 am

Yeah I'll never buy another Came-Tv or proem product again. Have always been met with disappointment.

I'm glad I invested in the Vario 5. That thing is a great addition to any cameraman's arsenal.
You can always rock the Stabil 2 at a later stage if it's required.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for. My tools, though have cost a lot more than the Chinese ripoffs have lasted and will continue to last. Just like my Snap-on tools. They're here to stay.

Also totally agree with the use of heavier rigs. Totally helps remove those irritating jiggles.
Freelance Camera Op & Cinematographer based in Brisbane, Australia.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weapons: URSA 12K + Canon XF605 + Hero 10 + Pocket 6K Pro
Optics: DZO Pictor Zooms + SLR Magic Hyper Prime + Tokina Cinema Zoom
Offline
User avatar

Nathan_H

  • Posts: 31
  • Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:12 am
  • Real Name: Nathan Henneton

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostWed May 11, 2022 7:42 am

Dondidnod, to answer you quickly, my experience with easyrig / stabil / handheld.

Easyrig WILL introduce shakiness by your movement.
Easyrig is not made to run with a camera, it's not good at all.
Handheld look while protecting your back ? Ergorig seems to be a good options, maybe not so much about flexibility in height (so does the easyrig)

You want a good handheld loook ? A proper shoulder rig, a heavy camera, and a Grip that can carry the camera for you between takes, and a good health / Sports / back. There's no magic tricks.

For the Flycam Galaxy you just can't expect a 450$ steadi vest + arm to have iso helastic springs and a great control. A GPI Arm is like 20 000 - 35 000$ ish. JUST the Arm.
I would take those review with a grain of salt. I've seen people complaining on easyrigs while reviewing a chinese copy. You just need to try it the real one, and there's definitly a learning curve.

For tension in the easyrig, I tends to get it just little loose so I have just to touch the camera for it to stay in position. If the tension is too high, I feel the shakiness of the hips is introduced more heavily

While using the Stabil Arm, I tends to tight it a tadd more to let the arm do it's job, and I adjust the tension of the arm on the fly depending on the camera height.
The stabil is a great tool to remove most of the "hips" movement from the easyrig. But it will never look like handheld.
https://vimeo.com/nathanhenneton/showreel2019
Offline

Chris Cronin

  • Posts: 63
  • Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:45 pm

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostWed May 11, 2022 4:47 pm

Florent Piovesan wrote:Hey everyone,
Here is a selection of shots taken with the Great Joy 50mm 1.8x anamorphic on the BMPCC6K.


Thought some of you might interested in this :).

This was my first time shooting anamorphic and I really enjoyed the experience!
For this test footage I wanted to try the lens in as many situations as possible which include nighttime, bright and sunny daytime, nature, city, people etc and of course I also shot in harsh and direct light to see the flares.

Filmed on the BMPCC 6K, in 6K BRAW. All handheld.
(Original x1.8 desqueeze ratio)

Stay tuned for the review!

Let me know if you have any questions :).

Cheers,
Flo

Impressed by the footage seen here and elsewhere, looking forward to the review! Very relieved that the flares are subtle on this thing, found the flares on the other affordable anamorphics to be too over the top.

Were you using a regular BMPCC 6K or the Pro version? Have seen in reviews that you can't use focal reducers or filtration behind the mount with these, and suddenly got the fear that might include the built in NDs of the Pocket 6K Pro. Hopefully unfounded and I'm just overthinking it, but don't want to drop £1000+ on one of these things without being totally sure.
Offline
User avatar

roger.magnusson

  • Posts: 2419
  • Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:58 pm

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostWed May 11, 2022 9:27 pm

The ND filters are behind the IR cut glass so they shouldn't be in the way.
Offline

GalinMcMahon

  • Posts: 239
  • Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:14 pm
  • Real Name: Galin McMahon

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostWed May 11, 2022 10:56 pm

Looks good! I think that brand will be hampered by its terrible choice of a name though. Sounds like a Walmart toilet paper brand. I wouldn't consider it for the simple fact that I would be embarrassed to tell people on set or potential clients what I'm shooting on. They could have gone with like some common German or Swedish name. "Ooh, you shoot on a Gunther Voorloop?!"
Windows 10
i7+-8750 @2.20GHz
32GB optane RAM
8GB Geforce 1070
2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus main - 1TB Evo 860 SSD scratch
Resolve 17 Studio
Offline

Uli Plank

  • Posts: 13774
  • Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:48 am
  • Location: Germany and Indonesia

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostThu May 12, 2022 12:28 am

Well, they may abbreviate it. LG once was Lucky Goldstar!
The software may be free, but the hardware needed for smooth performance is not.

Resolve Studio 17.4.6 , MacOS 12.3.1
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
and
iMac 2017, Radeon 580, 32 GB RAM
Speed Editor
Offline

John Brawley

  • Posts: 3548
  • Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 am
  • Location: Miami Florida

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostThu May 12, 2022 5:32 pm

Haven't looked,

I'm sure it's "cool" and "buttery" and brings us great joy....

But it's soooo dumb to see these lens companies coming out with a single focal length for these kinds of lens.

What good is a single focal length of any lens?

It's like making only left shoes.....

Salty rant over....

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Miami
Offline
User avatar

timbutt2

  • Posts: 2324
  • Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:32 am
  • Location: St. Petersburg, Florida, United States of Amercia

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostThu May 12, 2022 5:42 pm

John Brawley wrote:Haven't looked,

I'm sure it's "cool" and "buttery" and brings us great joy....

But it's soooo dumb to see these lens companies coming out with a single focal length for these kinds of lens.

What good is a single focal length of any lens?

It's like making only left shoes.....

Salty rant over....

JB

Love the salty rant. Mainly because I agree. At least Atlas Orion started with 3 lens sets.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2, Pocket 6K Pro, Pocket 6K, & Cinema Camera 2.5K EF
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)
Offline

John Paines

  • Posts: 4757
  • Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:04 pm

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostThu May 12, 2022 5:49 pm

According to Matt Allard

https://www.newsshooter.com/2022/05/11/ ... ns-review/

who does a good overview and posted some samples, they have a 35mm and 85mm due later in the year. And there may already be a 60mm(?)

That aside, anamorphic would seem to be a piece of madness for no-budget production -- like, focus? -- but there's apparently a market....
Offline

Chris Leutger

  • Posts: 319
  • Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:00 am

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostThu May 12, 2022 8:29 pm

Chris Cronin wrote:
Were you using a regular BMPCC 6K or the Pro version? Have seen in reviews that you can't use focal reducers or filtration behind the mount with these, and suddenly got the fear that might include the built in NDs of the Pocket 6K Pro. Hopefully unfounded and I'm just overthinking it, but don't want to drop £1000+ on one of these things without being totally sure.


I asked him this same question when he posted to reddit. He didn't reply there either. But on youtube, Flo said:

"I have just tried on the 6K Pro and it is fine :). I was curious as well. I think any lens or camera made for an EF mount would have to be built to work no matter what. The reason I used the regular 6K is that I needed to rig up the cameras and therefore didn't need the extra weight and bulk of the Pro features."
Amateur Auteur

i7 8700k 6c 3.7 GHz - Crucial DDR4-2666 16x2
GTX 1080 8GB Ver 456.38 - SSD 250GB-cache
Resolve 17.4.6 Build 4 - Windows 10 Pro 10.0.0.19044
Offline

John Brawley

  • Posts: 3548
  • Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 am
  • Location: Miami Florida

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostThu May 12, 2022 8:36 pm

The space behind the mount is THE SAME on a 6k and a 6k PRO. The NDs are between the sensor cover glass and the sensor. The sensor cover glass is in the same place.

That 60mm is a “different” squeeze factor too.

Yeah. Kind of a dogs breakfast all these one off lenses with different squeeze factors.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Miami
Offline

Sean van Berlo

  • Posts: 458
  • Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:33 am
  • Location: The Netherlands

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostFri May 13, 2022 11:10 am

I mean, the alternative for most people using Blackmagic camera's is no anamorphic lenses at all. I don't see how being elitist about trade-offs (limited releases, piecemeal roll-out of sets, optical downsides) makes any sense when all the (very expensive) lenses you use and love are still out there, and this just means availability has increased. Same with a lot of the really affordable cine lenses being released lately. Yes, they're not perfect, and yes, compensated YouTubers tend to hype them up way too much, but overall these are great for the market I think.
Offline

John Brawley

  • Posts: 3548
  • Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 am
  • Location: Miami Florida

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostFri May 13, 2022 1:56 pm

One of my favourite brands is one that’s been around a lot longer than these recent companies, but they are the same good value proposition as Blackmagic.

SLR magic. They even have a similar eyebrow raising name.

They did these in 2014ish. Just as an example…

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... 1_33x.html

They actually make good lenses. And they tend to make sets of them. And they talk to their customers. I had the principal come and visit with me and spend a day shooting with me on a series.

I’ve paid for many of their lenses over the years but they don’t tend to get much love from reviewers.

Strangely most of their customer base think SLR magic lenses are too expensive.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Miami
Offline
User avatar

Nathan_H

  • Posts: 31
  • Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:12 am
  • Real Name: Nathan Henneton

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostFri May 13, 2022 5:18 pm

To be honest the only problem I might see with SLR MAGIC is their name.

I don't mean that in a bad way, but IT really maket them as a "5D Revolution 2009 era" company.

You add a bit of sponsoring on youtubers, with a new name and a good showcase... Boom.
See Meike, DZO ? Next will be Dulens.

They could add couple more focal lengts for their Apo Mini prime (especialy wide ones) !

But I do believe their prices are awesome.
https://vimeo.com/nathanhenneton/showreel2019
Offline

Chris Cronin

  • Posts: 63
  • Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:45 pm

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostFri May 13, 2022 6:12 pm

Chris Leutger wrote:I asked him this same question when he posted to reddit. He didn't reply there either. But on youtube, Flo said:

"I have just tried on the 6K Pro and it is fine :). I was curious as well. I think any lens or camera made for an EF mount would have to be built to work no matter what. The reason I used the regular 6K is that I needed to rig up the cameras and therefore didn't need the extra weight and bulk of the Pro features."

John Brawley wrote:The space behind the mount is THE SAME on a 6k and a 6k PRO. The NDs are between the sensor cover glass and the sensor. The sensor cover glass is in the same place.

Saw on the campaign page that they'd added the BMPCC6K Pro to the list of known supported cameras, but nice to have it confirmed.

Placed an order for the amber version. Have been really curious about anamorphic lenses for a long time but have felt left out by the affordable options being for literally every mount other than EF. The fact they've also avoided having obnoxiously strong flares like Sirui is a huge plus too.

Sean van Berlo wrote:I mean, the alternative for most people using Blackmagic camera's is no anamorphic lenses at all. I don't see how being elitist about trade-offs (limited releases, piecemeal roll-out of sets, optical downsides) makes any sense when all the (very expensive) lenses you use and love are still out there, and this just means availability has increased. Same with a lot of the really affordable cine lenses being released lately. Yes, they're not perfect, and yes, compensated YouTubers tend to hype them up way too much, but overall these are great for the market I think.

Agree. This was something unthinkable until relatively recently, and I'm more than willing to accept teething problems for what will eventually leave a richer lens ecosystem at an affordable price.

The explosion of interest in anamorphic lenses can easily be called a fad, but the thing about fads is that they can provide great leaps forward in accessibility as companies try to capitalise.
Offline
User avatar

timbutt2

  • Posts: 2324
  • Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:32 am
  • Location: St. Petersburg, Florida, United States of Amercia

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostFri May 13, 2022 11:32 pm

Nathan_H wrote:To be honest the only problem I might see with SLR MAGIC is their name.

I don't mean that in a bad way, but IT really maket them as a "5D Revolution 2009 era" company.

You add a bit of sponsoring on youtubers, with a new name and a good showcase... Boom.
See Meike, DZO ? Next will be Dulens.

They could add couple more focal lengts for their Apo Mini prime (especialy wide ones) !

But I do believe their prices are awesome.

I discovered DZOFilm in July 2020 with the Pictor Zooms, which weren't out yet but available for Pre-Order. I bit the bullet and pre-ordered a pair and was one of the first in the country to get them. I instantly hooked several friends on them and they became very hot selling. They also became my go to lens set on my UMPG2.

I got early access to the Vespid Primes due to being such an early adopter and having really loved the Vespids bought the demo set. I love those primes as well. I just shot with them today to a very satisfied client.

So I'm extremely happy with the DZOFilm Lenses. They also just sent me the Koop Rear Filters, which I'm just barely playing with. I won those in an Instagram contest, so no rush. But so far I'm excited playing with them.

I'd be curious to see if they do Anamorphic. But I'm very happy with Spherical.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2, Pocket 6K Pro, Pocket 6K, & Cinema Camera 2.5K EF
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)
Offline
User avatar

Nathan_H

  • Posts: 31
  • Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:12 am
  • Real Name: Nathan Henneton

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostSat May 14, 2022 6:54 am

Would love to see what an oval insert would do t o those DZO ahah ;)
https://vimeo.com/nathanhenneton/showreel2019
Offline

John Brawley

  • Posts: 3548
  • Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 am
  • Location: Miami Florida

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostSat May 14, 2022 1:04 pm

Nathan_H wrote:To be honest the only problem I might see with SLR MAGIC is their name.

I don't mean that in a bad way, but IT really maket them as a "5D Revolution 2009 era" company.

You add a bit of sponsoring on youtubers, with a new name and a good showcase... Boom.
See Meike, DZO ? Next will be Dulens.

They could add couple more focal lengts for their Apo Mini prime (especialy wide ones) !

But I do believe their prices are awesome.


At least SLR magic have FOUR matched focal lengths that are the same size. Not only that they’re high performing lenses. These are the larger versions but it’s the same optics as the mini primes. They compare well to the best performing lenses out there…



I love lenses and while it is exciting to see all these lenses popping up, a lot of them are just not very good or consistent. That’s why I think it it’s important to call a spade a spade. And support the lower cost options that are actually decent.

I actually shot a season of a network TV series for fox sometimes using these lenses on whole scenes. There’s a very well known Apple TV series I did that also has many shots from these lenses.

Elistism is a funny word. More like pragmatic realist.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Miami
Offline

Florent Piovesan

  • Posts: 350
  • Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:23 am
  • Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostSat May 14, 2022 1:19 pm

Chris Cronin wrote:
Florent Piovesan wrote:Hey everyone,
Here is a selection of shots taken with the Great Joy 50mm 1.8x anamorphic on the BMPCC6K.


Thought some of you might interested in this :).

This was my first time shooting anamorphic and I really enjoyed the experience!
For this test footage I wanted to try the lens in as many situations as possible which include nighttime, bright and sunny daytime, nature, city, people etc and of course I also shot in harsh and direct light to see the flares.

Filmed on the BMPCC 6K, in 6K BRAW. All handheld.
(Original x1.8 desqueeze ratio)

Stay tuned for the review!

Let me know if you have any questions :).

Cheers,
Flo

Impressed by the footage seen here and elsewhere, looking forward to the review! Very relieved that the flares are subtle on this thing, found the flares on the other affordable anamorphics to be too over the top.

Were you using a regular BMPCC 6K or the Pro version? Have seen in reviews that you can't use focal reducers or filtration behind the mount with these, and suddenly got the fear that might include the built in NDs of the Pocket 6K Pro. Hopefully unfounded and I'm just overthinking it, but don't want to drop £1000+ on one of these things without being totally sure.


Thank you, glad you liked it :) !!
And yes the flares are not crazy which I liked as well. As others have said you can still use this lens with the Pro.
Sorry for not replying before I was in Paris for a few days :).
https://www.oftwolands.com
Offline

Florent Piovesan

  • Posts: 350
  • Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:23 am
  • Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostSat May 14, 2022 1:20 pm

GalinMcMahon wrote:Looks good! I think that brand will be hampered by its terrible choice of a name though. Sounds like a Walmart toilet paper brand. I wouldn't consider it for the simple fact that I would be embarrassed to tell people on set or potential clients what I'm shooting on. They could have gone with like some common German or Swedish name. "Ooh, you shoot on a Gunther Voorloop?!"


Thanks and yes haha, It's definitely not the best name out there unfortunately!
https://www.oftwolands.com
Offline

Florent Piovesan

  • Posts: 350
  • Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:23 am
  • Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostSat May 14, 2022 1:24 pm

John Brawley wrote:Haven't looked,

I'm sure it's "cool" and "buttery" and brings us great joy....

But it's soooo dumb to see these lens companies coming out with a single focal length for these kinds of lens.

What good is a single focal length of any lens?

It's like making only left shoes.....

Salty rant over....

JB


Hi John,

They told me they plan to release a 35 and 85 for these :).

Not sure if you have looked since this post but I enjoyed shooting with it and quite liked the image.

Love your work by the way!

Cheers,
Flo
https://www.oftwolands.com
Offline

Florent Piovesan

  • Posts: 350
  • Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:23 am
  • Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostSat May 14, 2022 1:27 pm

Chris Leutger wrote:
Chris Cronin wrote:
Were you using a regular BMPCC 6K or the Pro version? Have seen in reviews that you can't use focal reducers or filtration behind the mount with these, and suddenly got the fear that might include the built in NDs of the Pocket 6K Pro. Hopefully unfounded and I'm just overthinking it, but don't want to drop £1000+ on one of these things without being totally sure.


I asked him this same question when he posted to reddit. He didn't reply there either. But on youtube, Flo said:

"I have just tried on the 6K Pro and it is fine :). I was curious as well. I think any lens or camera made for an EF mount would have to be built to work no matter what. The reason I used the regular 6K is that I needed to rig up the cameras and therefore didn't need the extra weight and bulk of the Pro features."


Sorry Chris I was in Paris for a few days and couldn't keep up with my socials haha !!
As many said, myself included, the lens works fine on the Pro :)
https://www.oftwolands.com
Offline

pnguyen720

  • Posts: 481
  • Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:17 pm
  • Real Name: Phong Nguyen

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostSat May 14, 2022 3:05 pm

This thing looks really good. RIP Vazen.
Offline

John Brawley

  • Posts: 3548
  • Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 am
  • Location: Miami Florida

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostSat May 14, 2022 3:12 pm

Florent Piovesan wrote:
John Brawley wrote:Haven't looked,

I'm sure it's "cool" and "buttery" and brings us great joy....

But it's soooo dumb to see these lens companies coming out with a single focal length for these kinds of lens.

What good is a single focal length of any lens?

It's like making only left shoes.....

Salty rant over....

JB


Hi John,

They told me they plan to release a 35 and 85 for these :).

Not sure if you have looked since this post but I enjoyed shooting with it and quite liked the image.

Love your work by the way!

Cheers,
Flo


Hey flo,

No I haven’t at all looked at this specific lens.

Yes it would be great if they truely are releasing more than one focal length.

I’m sorry for diverting the thread into other general lens discussions.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Miami
Offline

Ellory Yu

  • Posts: 3016
  • Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:25 pm

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostSat May 14, 2022 3:57 pm

I wonder if they will be at Cinegear in LA next month. If so, I’d like to drop by and take a look and feel of this lens. And yes, tell them they need a set and not just one.
Blackmagic Design URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.4.4
Offline

Florent Piovesan

  • Posts: 350
  • Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:23 am
  • Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostSun May 15, 2022 7:34 am

John Brawley wrote:
Florent Piovesan wrote:
John Brawley wrote:Haven't looked,

I'm sure it's "cool" and "buttery" and brings us great joy....

But it's soooo dumb to see these lens companies coming out with a single focal length for these kinds of lens.

What good is a single focal length of any lens?

It's like making only left shoes.....

Salty rant over....

JB


Hi John,

They told me they plan to release a 35 and 85 for these :).

Not sure if you have looked since this post but I enjoyed shooting with it and quite liked the image.

Love your work by the way!

Cheers,
Flo


Hey flo,

No I haven’t at all looked at this specific lens.

Yes it would be great if they truely are releasing more than one focal length.

I’m sorry for diverting the thread into other general lens discussions.

JB


Hey John,

Not need to be sorry at all, glad that my post got people to discuss / share their opinion. That's why this forum is here for after all :).
I will share any updates I have regarding the new focal lengths as soon as I hear anything!

Cheers,
Flo
https://www.oftwolands.com
Offline

Ian Henderson

  • Posts: 205
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:05 am
  • Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostSun May 15, 2022 4:17 pm

Some nice shots thanks Flo. I understand the 1.8 squeeze factor is only at infinity and varies depending on focal distance (as low as 1.68x). Sounds like a bit of a limitation despite the price. How did this work out for you in use?
Offline
User avatar

rick.lang

  • Posts: 15238
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:41 pm
  • Location: Victoria BC Canada

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostMon May 16, 2022 9:36 pm

I wouldn’t recommend a single 50mm lens like this Great Joy.

However SLR Magic began with a release of a single 50mm APO PL focal length lens. It was shortly followed by matching 25 and 85mm lenses; last lens issued is the 32mm. A promised 18mm and 135mm never appeared. But I don’t need them to be honest.

Their last Anamorphot front adapter is the 1.33x-65 which has also served me well providing a 24mm AOV when paired with the 32mm taking lens. I’ve recommended these lenses for years but it appears they are putting the priority into MicroPrimes. The PL lenses were not cheap on a per copy basis but not expensive in the sense I haven’t bought another prime lens in years. But the Tokina Cinema-ATX 11-20mm PL is my only zoom.

If I was starting a (prime) new lens set, I’d use MicroPrimes because there’s a good selection of quality lenses that match well with the APO.
Rick Lang
Offline

Marshall Harrington

  • Posts: 536
  • Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:48 pm
  • Location: San Diego, California

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostTue May 17, 2022 2:32 pm

Flo,

Really liked the footage of yours made with this lens. Glass remains such in lustful part of this crazy business. Something that once you're invested it could easily stay a part of your kit forever.

I'll also be curious to see the footage from the tiny Laowa glass that was posted today.

We are living in an amazing time, that much for sure.
Offline

robert Hart

  • Posts: 587
  • Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:16 pm

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostWed May 18, 2022 3:17 pm

Rick Lang.

If ever you get to try out a Laowa rear 1:33 anamorphic adaptor, try a 1:33 front anamorphic adaptor on a spherical taking lens as well. You need a PL-Mount camera to mount the rear adaptor. o

I am not so sure about the crispness of the image from this unholy matrimony but it seems more flexible for lens choice than some 2x front anamorphic adaptors, which seem to tolerate no less than a 50mm lens field-of-view. That may be the reason why the Great Joy lens choice is 50mm only at this stage.

You still get the artifacts like flares and the criss-cross bokeh. compared to a true 2x, the combination does not squeeze as much field-of-view in as the rear anamorphics work by actually reducing the field of a view a little.

Dedicated anamorphic lenses are of course the way to go but except for the signature artifacts some may chase for the art, the whole exercise seems a little pointless when you can simply crop a spherical image digitally these days.
Offline

John Brawley

  • Posts: 3548
  • Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 am
  • Location: Miami Florida

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostWed May 18, 2022 3:30 pm

These just dropped and are an interesting option.

Also available in three focal lengths too.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/laow ... rphic-lens

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Miami
Offline
User avatar

Tim Kraemer

  • Posts: 85
  • Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:12 pm

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostWed May 18, 2022 9:30 pm

John Brawley wrote:One of my favourite brands is one that’s been around a lot longer than these recent companies, but they are the same good value proposition as Blackmagic.

SLR magic. They even have a similar eyebrow raising name.

They did these in 2014ish. Just as an example…

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... 1_33x.html

They actually make good lenses. And they tend to make sets of them. And they talk to their customers. I had the principal come and visit with me and spend a day shooting with me on a series.

I’ve paid for many of their lenses over the years but they don’t tend to get much love from reviewers.

Strangely most of their customer base think SLR magic lenses are too expensive.

JB


Yea, but once again, the 35mm T2.4 is for super 35 sensors and the 50mm and 70mm lenses are for full frame sensors. Its mildly irritating.
Offline

John Brawley

  • Posts: 3548
  • Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 am
  • Location: Miami Florida

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostThu May 19, 2022 12:50 pm

Tim Kraemer wrote:
Yea, but once again, the 35mm T2.4 is for super 35 sensors and the 50mm and 70mm lenses are for full frame sensors. Its mildly irritating.


Well, when they dropped these (in 2014) no one was really shooting full frame video…..The 5D crowd was still shooting 1.78 crops of the full frame sensor….so it’s a bit hard to hold that against them….they really designed these for S35… they are PL mount after all….

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Miami
Offline
User avatar

Tim Kraemer

  • Posts: 85
  • Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:12 pm

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostThu May 19, 2022 1:06 pm

I forgot to add, the Laowa constant squeeze factor and small anamorphic design does look really awesome. I just dont understand how we got to a point where these other "variable squeeze factor / random anamorphic ratio" lenses somehow became acceptable.
Offline

John Brawley

  • Posts: 3548
  • Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 am
  • Location: Miami Florida

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostThu May 19, 2022 1:23 pm

Tim Kraemer wrote:I forgot to add, the Laowa constant squeeze factor and small anamorphic design does look really awesome. I just dont understand how we got to a point where these other "variable squeeze factor / random anamorphic ratio" lenses somehow became acceptable.


Agree.

1.3X and 2X are the two that make the most sense and are the most prevalent historically.

1.3X for making 2.40 from a 1.78 sensor. (Ultra Panavision which no one shoots is 1.25)
2X for making 2.40 from an academy frame.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Miami
Offline
User avatar

rick.lang

  • Posts: 15238
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:41 pm
  • Location: Victoria BC Canada

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostFri May 20, 2022 1:26 pm

John Brawley wrote:These just dropped and are an interesting option.

Also available in three focal lengths too.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/laow ... rphic-lens

JB
I just have a blank screen from this link.
Rick Lang
Offline

Uli Plank

  • Posts: 13774
  • Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:48 am
  • Location: Germany and Indonesia

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostFri May 20, 2022 5:36 pm

Works here. Try another browser.
The software may be free, but the hardware needed for smooth performance is not.

Resolve Studio 17.4.6 , MacOS 12.3.1
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
and
iMac 2017, Radeon 580, 32 GB RAM
Speed Editor
Offline

Chris Leutger

  • Posts: 319
  • Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:00 am

Re: GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostFri May 20, 2022 10:13 pm

Florent Piovesan wrote:
Sorry Chris I was in Paris for a few days and couldn't keep up with my socials haha !!
As many said, myself included, the lens works fine on the Pro :)


No worries. I follow you on multiple venues. What I want now is for you to get your hands on the new Laowa lenses. Get on that and get back to us, okay? Thanks.
Amateur Auteur

i7 8700k 6c 3.7 GHz - Crucial DDR4-2666 16x2
GTX 1080 8GB Ver 456.38 - SSD 250GB-cache
Resolve 17.4.6 Build 4 - Windows 10 Pro 10.0.0.19044
Offline
User avatar

rick.lang

  • Posts: 15238
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:41 pm
  • Location: Victoria BC Canada

GREAT JOY 50MM T2.9 1.8X ANAMORPHIC | BMPCC 6K

PostFri May 20, 2022 10:14 pm

Thanks, Uli. It could be some privacy settings I have then. No worries.
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests