Alternative lenses for BM Television Studio HD camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Mr-Steve

Alternative lenses for BM Television Studio HD camera

PostWed May 18, 2022 9:11 am

Hi all,

We have 3 of the older Blackmagic Television Studio HD cameras at our site. These have the Micro 4/3 lens fitting. We are finding that the lenses we have have a high F number so give poor performance when shooting stage/theatrical lighting. We are looking to buy some second hand lenses, ideally zoom, with a lower F number to give us brighter images.

I understand that we can use adapters to use non micro 4/3 lenses on the micro 4/3 fitment, but may lose the ability to power zoom and power focus - which is fine. I also know that these won't be on the 'approved' lens list for these cameras.

I do not have loads of experience in this area. Would any of you be able to suggest some lenses that we could investigate on the second hand market that would be a good place to start? This is for use in education so it's unlikely we can afford anything brand new.

Any advice is welcome and I can provide further info if needed.

Thank you.

dondidnod

Re: Alternative lenses for BM Television Studio HD camera

PostWed May 18, 2022 7:11 pm

I assume that you have a Micro that shares the Super 16 sized sensor with the OG BMPCC. If you use a C mount to M4/3 adapter, there are affordable lenses made for 16mm film cameras that you can use. Some fully cover the S16 sensor without vignetting.

Here is a comparison of $140 USD and up Cooke lens to a Panasonic G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 Asph. lens on an original S16 BMPCC.

This is a 1958 Taylor Hobson Cooke Ivotal Anastigmat 1" (25mm) F/1.4 C mount at ISO 200 set to F/4 on the top and a Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm Asph. lens set to 18mm at F/2.8 and ISO 400 on the bottom. Both are using Hoya IR cut and Tiffen Variable ND filters on a BMPCC. With the Cooke, I had greater range of color to work with in post, possibly due to fewer coatings on the lens. The Lumix image looked flat, with less depth from the foreground to background. The leaves look plasticy, and the stone Olmec head has a modelled look to it that seems fake.

Re: Does the glass make that much of a difference?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107746&p=596809&hilit=Cooke#p596809

An Angenieux-zoom f/2.2 - 17-68mm or a 9.5-57mm lens from around 13-17mm up would cover a S16 sensor.

Return to Cinematography