Ursa Mini 12k_ any approved NMVE sticks and enclosures?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

GB_Austin

Ursa Mini 12k_ any approved NMVE sticks and enclosures?

PostFri Dec 17, 2021 9:00 pm

New Blackmagic Ursa Mini 12k - I probably need to contact Blackmagic for a replacement or repair.

No matter what I try, the Blackmagic Recorder seems to fail after 3 seconds.
I'm trying to record in 12k, Q3 or Q5, 24fps and the Blackmagic Recorder seems to drip frames in 1-6 seconds. I have an Icy Dock on my computer where I can format the drive Mac Journaled or ExFat. Sometimes, I am able to format in camera and that's always my preference but sometimes I have to format drives on my Mac. I've tried just about every option with the Blackmagic Recorder ...constant rate, constant quality, 12k, 8k, 6k, 4k, Q3, Q5, Q12, 24fps. ..I think my Recorder is a dud.

I have 3 sets of Angelbird Cfast match pair cards ..and they work great!
Everything I throw at them works beautifully, no dropped frames.
..I just want a backup second option to CFAST. (and i'm thinking I can't rely on the Blackmagic Recorder to work for me.) So, ...NVME direct to C-port?

I want a backup option of using a NVME drive and an enclosure ...and I notice that CVP on YouTube is using a Sabrent NVME drive in a Sabrent enclosure. So, what is the best option for a 2TB or 4TB NVME drive and enclosure. ...and has anybody figured out a better cable than the on Blackmagic has provided?

But for the Blackmagic Recorder, drives are not working. Sometimes the cameras sees them and I can format, ..sometimes not. I've talked with the SSD maker (ExAscend U.2 3.8 TB SSD) and they said the issue is with Blackmagic and not Exascend. They say the camera is not putting out enough power their drive.
ExAscend did send me a new firmware for the drive last week and that did not help.
Also, the Blackmagic Camera 7.6 Update from last week did not help.

I'm also testing a 2nd drive in an
OWC U2 ShuttleOne NVMe M.2 to 2.5-inch U.2 SSD Adapter
and that does not work.

I've tried several new cables that do not work: Blackmagic cable that came with the External Recorder,
Caldigit TB3 cable, OWC TB3 cable, OWC TB4 Passive cable, Anker USB 3.2 cable, Angelbird USB cable
-No drives work longer than 6 seconds. And this is trying tons of resolution, Constant Quality or Constant Data Rate.

And also, I've made myself a database checklist so I'm sure to try every combo I own.
I've tried weeks with all different drives, cables, settings and for power: either AC wall power with the supplied cable, ..or I try Anton Bauer new Titon batteries or FXLION v-mounts. I have a database of all the things I'm trying so I'm sure to try all the possible work around options.

The Angelbird CFast cards work and I did get one USB c drive plugged directly into the C port, and that was a Samsung T5 and T5 cable and I know that's not on the approved list but it did work and that tells me the Cport is fine ....even in 12k, Q5, 24fps.
Last edited by GB_Austin on Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ursa Mini 12k BMCC6k FF lenses: Tokina 50-135 PL, DZOfilm 25 PL, Nisi Athena 35 PL. EZrig, DJI gimbal, Blackmagic Speed Editor, Tilta Nucleus-M focus motors and grips, Nucleus Nano II. other cameras: Nikon Z9 and Nikon Z8.

Jamie LeJeune

Re: Ursa Mini 12k_ any approved NMVEs and enclosures?

PostFri Dec 17, 2021 11:53 pm

I have the SSD Recorder + Micron 7300 Max U.2 SSD MTFDHBE3T2TDG 3.2TB from the official list.
It has worked flawlessly in line with the supported compression and codec options.

If possible, I’d try testing a different U.2 drive than the one you’ve got.

GB_Austin wrote: Also, the Blackmagic Camera 7.6 Update from last week did not help.
Per the release notes, all that the 7.6 update did is add support for the BMD Studio Converter. No other changes.
Last edited by Jamie LeJeune on Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Mark Foster

Re: Ursa Mini 12k_ any approved NMVEs and enclosures?

PostSat Dec 18, 2021 12:23 am

cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

GB_Austin

Re: Ursa Mini 12k_ any approved NMVE sticks and enclosures?

PostSat Dec 18, 2021 6:09 pm

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/faq/59030
This list does not show any external NVME drives. These are usb-C drives but maybe they are worth a try if they can do 12k/24fps. I guess they don't have any that are approved, yet. They do show the 4k Wise 2TB USB 3.1 in the Blackmagic promo photo ..people seem to love this for the BMPCC4k so I don't know how well it works at 12k.

And you're right, Jaime. Maybe I should try another U.2 drive for the Blackmagic Recorder. I'd choose the Micron Micron 7300 Max U.2 SSD MTFDHBE3T2TDG 3.2TB you use.

But the drive I bought was approved (ExAscend U.2 3.8 TB SSD) ..for $1100 and I don't know if I want to risk a second thousand dollars, if that doesn't work. But, also I probably should try the Micron to know if it's the camera or the Blackmagic Recorder ...and do this while it's new.

Thank you for suggestions. ...anybody know of any_ any approved NMVE sticks and enclosures?
Ursa Mini 12k BMCC6k FF lenses: Tokina 50-135 PL, DZOfilm 25 PL, Nisi Athena 35 PL. EZrig, DJI gimbal, Blackmagic Speed Editor, Tilta Nucleus-M focus motors and grips, Nucleus Nano II. other cameras: Nikon Z9 and Nikon Z8.

Jamie LeJeune

PostTue Dec 21, 2021 2:00 am

Gary — a new firmware update for the SSD recorder specifically for your model U.2 disk was released today
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=152583#p812995

Let us know if that fixes the issue for you.
www.cinedocs.com

GB_Austin

PostTue Dec 21, 2021 5:26 am

You're quick, Jamie. They told me the firmware would be out any day and seems to be a great improvement.
It did fix a lot of problems. I only ran 2 minute tests just now -but lots of settings seem to work great.
Since the news is good, ...I think I might need to put this following info over in the new post announcing the firmware that you referred to. And I'll add more testing on options that do work for a 15 minute mark. I appreciate your input, Jamie. When I come across your posts ...I always read.

It does work better with USC-C and specifically the approved ExAscend drive. I love that the firmware shows "Card 1" and "External Drive". And when I'm able to format a drive in camera ...it's super speedy, like 4 seconds!

I had success with formatting in camera after any failure ...and can record if I keep it around
Constant Quality/12k/Q3/24fps or Constant Bitrate/8:1/24fps.

I'll do more testing but even if that's the limit then I'm totally fine with it and happy! I feel like I can buy a Micron SSD like you're using and it will be a good addition.

I do notice that the included Blackmagic cable almost never sees the drive, or the power light on left side shows dim red and won't let me format. I have a ton, a ton of cables in USB 3.2/20 and TB3 and TB4 .
I got another new cable today that seems to work nicely: Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 Passive .65 foot
Last edited by GB_Austin on Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jamie LeJeune

PostTue Dec 21, 2021 5:33 am

GB_Austin wrote: I do notice that the included Blackmagic cable almost never sees the drive, or the power light on left side shows dim red and won't let me format. I have a ton, a ton of cables in USB 3.2/20 and TB3 and TB4. I got another new cable today that seems to work nicely: Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 Passive .65 foot
The cable from BMD should perform just as well as any third party cable. If it does not, I would contact BMD support immediately for a replacement.
www.cinedocs.com

GB_Austin

PostTue Dec 21, 2021 5:39 am

Yea, I think I'll contact them for a new cable. ...this is my 4th Blackmagic camera and I have a new client gig lined up to use this 12k. I'm feeling like I can rely on it now. ..thanks for your suggestions!

devinpickering

PostFri Jan 07, 2022 10:40 pm

Can someone please share with me the actual list of approved SSDs and U.2 Media?

Jamie LeJeune

PostFri Jan 07, 2022 10:46 pm

devinpickering wrote:Can someone please share with me the actual list of approved SSDs and U.2 Media?
All the info is on the BMD support page: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/family/professional-cameras
www.cinedocs.com

pimentas

PostThu May 19, 2022 2:36 pm

I ordered some U.2 2.5 SSDs to use with the BMD Mini Recorder.

Which reader/adapter/enclosure/dock/station would you recommend for copying the footage from the SSDs?

I have zero experience with SSDs :)

Return to Cinematography