Best MFT to PL adapter??

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Thomas Hennessy

Best MFT to PL adapter??

PostFri Jun 07, 2019 9:38 pm

I just ordered up a Pocket 4K camera to B Cam with my URSA Mini, and am now looking to add a PL adapter so I can use the same sets of lenses on both cameras.

Anyone have any personal recommendations? I see Wooden Camera has a couple of them, not sure what the differences are. Metabones makes a straight adapter as well. I also see a couple on the less expensive side.

Wondering what peoples experiences have been hen using their PL glass on the Pocket 4K.

Jeffrey D Mathias

Re: Best MFT to PL adapter??

PostSat Jun 08, 2019 11:32 am

I got a FotodioX Pro Lens Mount Adapter Arri PL to MFT from B&H and bolted it and the pocket 4K to a Kessler Crane Kwik Long Camera Plate. It has worked very well with my PL lenses. I haven't really had desire to use the one MFT lens (25mm T0.95 SLR Magic) I have left. I leave the adapter attached to the camera and changing lenses many times the adapter still works great. I use it with wide lenses (20mm T1.5 Sigma and 11-16mm T3 Tokina zoom) with no issues. Seems to be built to spec. This is a much less expensive adapter than most. However, I repeat that I have not been removing/attaching the MTF end. Also the Kessler plate provides strength. (I have a bunch of Kessler quick mounts.)

So "BEST" may not be easy to define, but I do recommend the FotodioX.
AMD Threadripper 1950x 16-core 3.4 GHz
96 GB Crucial DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM RAM
AsRock Fatal1ty x399 motherboard
AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200 GPU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 22H2, build 19045.3208
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
iPad Pro M2

Denny Smith

PostSat Jun 08, 2019 6:00 pm

I think one of the best made, and most expensive, was the HotRod Cameras PL/MFT adapter with 15mm rail support bracket. The entire setup is very light, snd well made and can be shimmed. Next would be the Wooden Camera PL/MFT Pro adapter, which boots to the WC camera cages for added support, or use their lens mount kit to connect to 15mm rails. This one is also very light snd can be shimmed.

Right up there with the HotRod adapter is the excellent MFT Services and Vocas adapters, also very well made. I got a MFT Services PL adapter for my Nikon Z6, and it was very well made and engineered.

Nicely made, but a little heavier, is the Metabones MFT/PL mount, which also has a Arca Swiss foot (like the Speed Boosters) and connects to the Metabones 15mm rail lens support kit, which clamps to the foot for quick connection, this setup is about twice the weight of a similar setup with the Hotrod Camera Kit.p, but can be shimmed also.

These would be and are the ones I have had and used. After trying all three, for the new Pocket 4K my first choice would be the HotRod PL adapter kit, followed by the Wooden Camera Kit. Both are well thought out, easy to use and and hold a lens to the camera without any additional play or movement.
These cost a little more, but will be the last PL/MFT adapter you need to buy.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tommaso Alvisi

PostSat Jun 08, 2019 6:06 pm

Hey Thomas,

the Hot rod ones was good, but HEAVY.

The Metabones one is not worth its cost imho, same as Wooden Camera (I had both).

Fotodiox gear is often cheap and it shows, it's often made quite cheaply
and with tolerances not on the same level of Vocas, MFT UK, and HOT ROD.

I have one of the best ones (Vocas, made in Holland) for sale, PM me if interested.

Cheers!

Denny Smith

PostSat Jun 08, 2019 6:35 pm

Tommy, my HotRod MFT/PL adapter with the rod support kit is 12oz. The rod support kit alone only weighs a 4 Oz. The Metabones rod Support Kit is 7.5 Oz. So even if the Metsbones and HotRod PL adapters were the same weight, the entire setup with support kit, the Metabones kit is heavier. I found the lightest actual PL/MFT adapter is the Wooden Camera MFT (non pro) followed by Pro adapter.

So I will take a hit in a little extra weight for the better built setup, that has the option to be shimmed if needed.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tommaso Alvisi

PostSat Jun 08, 2019 6:48 pm

The HOT ROD one is very good indeed and I did't mind the weight at all when I had it at the time.

The Wooden Camera one is a decent but not at the same level of HOT ROD, MFT UK and Vocas...

Denny Smith

PostSat Jun 08, 2019 7:38 pm

Agreed Tommaso, the WC adapter is a little lighter built, but is perfect for the Micro camera and original BMPCC. I got the HotRod PL adapter originally for the AF100, then kept it when I sold the camera to use on the new Pocket 4K. But life went a different direction, and I canceled by Pocket 4K order and sold the HotRod PL adapter. :cry:

I would put the MFT Services and Vocas adapters are right up there at the top also. You really get what you pay for, and the added cost of these adapters is worth the big step in quality and ease of use.

I decided to stay with S16 format, the DoF it affords works for what I shoot, mostly events and a few TV spots, so I got a Ursa Broadcast, and added the BMD PL mount, much better than using adapters. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Robert Niessner

PostSat Jun 08, 2019 9:58 pm

Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

mico p

PostSat Jun 08, 2019 10:52 pm

If you're going to invest in metabones speed boosters or other metabones adapters like I have, getting the metabones pl adapter is the better bet. If you're using pl lenses saving miniscule weight is a non issue when the lenses weigh a ton. But having no lens movement from focus motors and taking the weight off the camera mount are. Metabones lens support is a must and having consistency among adapters saves me when changing from contax speed booster to regular contax adapter to pl speedbooster to regular pl adapter.
Last edited by mico p on Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Denny Smith

PostSun Jun 09, 2019 2:42 am

Good point if you are using other Metabones adapters and have the rod support kit, then I would stick with Metabones PL adapter also.

Robert, those are some very nice looking adapters, you win for the most expensive solution. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Dmytro Shijan

PostSun Jun 09, 2019 4:20 am

I don't have PL lenses or mount, but as people suggest earlier in best scenario the adapter should be somehow fixed to the camera cage system. PL lenses are usually too heavy for MFT mount and also no one likes if PL mount wobbles when you pull focus. As i know Wooden Camera cages + Wooden Camera PL adapters works like this. Another option is SmallRig cage + SmallRig Metabones support cage clamp designed for Metabones Speedbooster + Metabones PL adapter. But i am not sure if Metabones PL adapter size and mounting holes position is similar as Metabones Speedbooster.

From the other side, PL adapter connected to rail block may be more universal option than cage support mount.
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

rick.lang

PostSun Jun 09, 2019 2:25 pm

Although I am waiting for the BMPCC4K, I also have the SLR Magic PL-MFT adapter which is sturdy and supports shims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Texaco87

PostWed May 18, 2022 10:44 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but which one would you buy today given current options? Thanks!

John Brawley

PostThu May 19, 2022 12:46 pm

Wooden Camera PL adaptor.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Texaco87

PostThu May 19, 2022 6:11 pm

Apparently doesn’t work with the SmallRig cage though, which is truly a bummer if that’s the case…

John Brawley

PostThu May 19, 2022 6:27 pm

Texaco87 wrote:Apparently doesn’t work with the SmallRig cage though, which is truly a bummer if that’s the case…

What do you mean “work” ?

Are you looking for a MFT adaptor that can go to rails ?

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Texaco87

PostThu May 19, 2022 6:32 pm

Oh yeah good point, I guess I meant mount to the cage.

I was thinking it should probably be mounted in some way? I know attaching to the rails is an option as well though, so maybe I should doing it that way instead?

Brad Hurley

PostThu May 19, 2022 8:23 pm

Texaco87 wrote:I was thinking it should probably be mounted in some way? I know attaching to the rails is an option as well though, so maybe I should doing it that way instead?

I have the HotRod Cameras PL/MFT adapter (no longer made and hard to find), which I got from a member of this forum; I'm using the SmallRig cage for my BMMCC and this adapter is "compatible" in the sense that the cage doesn't interfere with the adapter in any way, but the adapter doesn't mount to the cage. It is meant to be mounted on rails.

If you're going to be using PL-mount lenses on the BMMCC you'll want rails anyway, if for no other reason than for mounting a lens support to distribute the weight of the lens (MFT mounts on the Blackmagic Design cameras are not extremely robust and a heavy lens can cause damage over time if it's not supported in some way). But rails will also allow you to mount a follow focus and matte box, which will be useful in any case.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Texaco87

PostThu May 19, 2022 11:54 pm

So which one would you recommend then? Thanks for the reply!

Brad Hurley

PostFri May 20, 2022 12:17 am

Texaco87 wrote:So which one would you recommend then? Thanks for the reply!

Everyone recommends the Wooden Camera one, but I've never used it and as noted above it's designed to attach to the Wooden Camera cage, which you don't have. There were a few others mentioned in this and the other thread you're posting to, so I'm guessing those are your only options...

Texaco87

PostFri May 20, 2022 12:36 am

Fair enough, thanks brother!

Zweistein

PostFri May 20, 2022 7:06 am

Isn't it also worth mentioning that many adapters are just adapting (without any glass), while the Metabones one is also a speedbooster?

https://www.metabones.com/products/deta ... PL-m43-BT2
Cinematographerwww.janniktesch.comwww.sensorsizes.com
UMP 4.6K G1 6.9.4 – PCC4K OLPF 8.1 – Resolve Studio 18.6.5 – macOS 14.4 – MacBook Pro 2023, M2 Pro, 14"
EIZO CG247XUltraStudio Monitor 3G 12.5 – Micro Panel

Brad Hurley

PostFri May 20, 2022 9:11 am

Zweistein wrote:Isn't it also worth mentioning that many adapters are just adapting (without any glass), while the Metabones one is also a speedbooster?

It's a good distinction but it means you'd want to avoid the Metabones adapter if you'll be using Super 16 cinema lenses on a BMMCC or the original BMPCC. You don't want any focal length reduction in that case!

Jeffrey D Mathias

PostFri May 20, 2022 10:21 am

Brad Hurley wrote:It's a good distinction but it means you'd want to avoid the Metabones adapter if you'll be using Super 16 cinema lenses on a BMMCC or the original BMPCC. You don't want any focal length reduction in that case!

Not all Meteabones have glass.

um, maybe try this Metabones:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1259802-REG/metabones_mb_pl_m43_bt1_pl_lens_to_micro.html
The electric connections on the EF work fine... none on PL.

No glass... I have MFT to EF and MFT to PL ... also have Fotodio MFT to PL adapter.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/994984-REG/fotodiox_ar_pl_mft_p_pro_mft_adapter_for.html

Both work fine with my pocket 4K and have a threaded mounting hole.
AMD Threadripper 1950x 16-core 3.4 GHz
96 GB Crucial DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM RAM
AsRock Fatal1ty x399 motherboard
AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200 GPU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 22H2, build 19045.3208
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
iPad Pro M2

Zweistein

PostFri May 20, 2022 6:12 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:
Zweistein wrote:Isn't it also worth mentioning that many adapters are just adapting (without any glass), while the Metabones one is also a speedbooster?

It's a good distinction but it means you'd want to avoid the Metabones adapter if you'll be using Super 16 cinema lenses on a BMMCC or the original BMPCC. You don't want any focal length reduction in that case!

Exactly!

@Texaco87: I am doing the same research right now, I don't have an answer to the best adapter, but I made a list of all adapters I could find:

FotodioX

Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapter - Arri PL (Positive Lock) Mount Lens to Micro Four Thirds (MFT, M4/3) Mount Mirrorless Camera Body

Wooden Camera

MFT to PL Mount Pro

MFT to PL Adapter (Pocket)

MTF Services

PL to Micro 4/3 Adaptor

Metabones

ARRI PL Lens to Micro Four Thirds T CINE Adapter

ARRI PL Lens to Micro Four Thirds T CINE Speed Booster® ULTRA 0.71x

ARRI PL Lens to BMPCC4K T CINE Speed Booster® ULTRA 0.71x

Vocas

Vocas Micro Four Third to PL adapter

C7 Adapters

PL mount - MFT (light)

SLR Magic

SLR Magic PL Adapter EF/E/MFT (Titanium)

Haoge

Haoge PL-M43 Adapter

16x9 Inc.

16x9 Inc. Cine Lens Mount - MFT-mount

Novoflex

Adapter PL-Mount-lenses to MFT cameras

FunkyFotosGroup

Adapter MICRO 4/3 MFT GH5 Mount BlackMagic -> ARRI Arriflex PL Lens Zeiss

PRO Adapter MICRO 4/3 MFT Mount BMCC GH5 -> ARRI / Arriflex PL Lens Mount

Adapter MICRO 4/3 MFT Mount BlackMagic BMPCC -> ARRI PL Lens w/ TRIPOD Mount

P+S Technik

IMS 2.0 PL Mount for MFT Mount

HotRod

Currently unavailable
Last edited by Zweistein on Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UMP 4.6K G1 6.9.4 – PCC4K OLPF 8.1 – Resolve Studio 18.6.5 – macOS 14.4 – MacBook Pro 2023, M2 Pro, 14"

Texaco87

PostFri May 20, 2022 8:34 pm

Yeah definitely not needing a speedboosting element as I do plan/hope to use Super 16 lenses

Wow, what a great resource, thanks so much!

dondidnod

PostFri May 20, 2022 9:07 pm

Zweistein wrote:FunkyFotosGroup

Adapter MICRO 4/3 MFT GH5 Mount BlackMagic -> ARRI Arriflex PL Lens Zeiss

PRO Adapter MICRO 4/3 MFT Mount BMCC GH5 -> ARRI / Arriflex PL Lens Mount

Adapter MICRO 4/3 MFT Mount BlackMagic BMPCC -> ARRI PL Lens w/ TRIPOD Mount

I like the one from funkyfotosgroup in Poland. It comes with shims and 15mm rod support that uses a standard 15mm rod with a 1/4 20 thread that is height adjustable.

@ PRO Adapter MICRO 4/3 MFT Mount BMCC GH4 GH5 -> ARRI PL Lens w/ RODS Support @ eBay item 372827168281 $225.00 USD
@PROAdapterMICRO43MFT.png
@ PRO Adapter MICRO 4/3 MFT
@PROAdapterMICRO43MFT.png (432.1 KiB) Viewed 2087 times

@PROAdapterMICRO43MFTA.png
@ PRO Adapter MICRO 4/3 MFT
@PROAdapterMICRO43MFTA.png (492.46 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
Last edited by dondidnod on Fri May 20, 2022 9:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Howard Roll

PostFri May 20, 2022 9:16 pm

In terms of build quality they're all good enough. I've owned the C7 (V1), MTF Services, Solid Camera, Haoge, WC, a handful of no-name knock-offs, and probably a few other that I can't remember.

The two most important factors are shimmability, and simple, secure attachment. Make sure that the adapter uses shims that are readily available. The best bet is finding an adapter that uses Zeiss Non-LDS shims. Elaborate attachment schemes that require rails or other intermediate plates are fiddly and require compromises when using accessories like follow focus and matte boxes.

I designed this riser in CAD for C7 and they produced a small run. It puts the optical center of the adapter at 85mm which is the LWS. Other attachment methods may require the use of adjustable risers and clamps, it can be a pain.

All of the S16 Zeiss zooms and primes except for the Ultra 16s have moving fronts, likewise the MK2 and MK3 Optars/Elites. For this kind of lens you'd want a rail mounted matte box and space can disappear quickly when using primes.

Good Luck

P.S. No I don't have any of these for sale, this photo is from the police report.
Attachments
mft pl.jpg
mft pl.jpg (240.01 KiB) Viewed 2094 times

Zweistein

PostFri May 20, 2022 9:43 pm

Texaco87 wrote:Wow, what a great resource, thanks so much!

You're welcome.

dondidnod wrote:I like the one from funkyfotosgroup in Poland. It comes with shims and 15mm rod support..

@ PRO Adapter MICRO 4/3 MFT Mount BMCC GH4 GH5 -> ARRI PL Lens w/ RODS Support @ eBay item 372827168281 $225.00 USD

I believe that, I own two of his Pro Adapters from Cameflex to MFT and they are extremely well made. Also Artur is a friendly guy who quickly answers via email or eBay message, if you have questions.

@Howard Roll: Wow, thanks for all that useful information!

Denny Smith

PostSat May 21, 2022 6:02 pm

Whilst imused the HotRod cameras MFT/PL on my larger cameras, the Wooden Camera MFT/PL Pro (can be shimmed to correct FFD) mount is the best I have used, and is one of the lightest also, which also is excellent on the small MFT cameras like the Micro and Pocket cameras series. It will also work with other 15mm rod lens support brackets, like the one from HotRod Cameras. I just happen to be also selling mine, as I sold my Micro and Pocket cameras, see my listing under Off Topic forum.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography