Peaking problem

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

BennoZ

Peaking problem

PostSat May 21, 2022 9:30 am

I worked with my Ursa Mini Pro G2 and BMPCC 4K two years now and peaking is awesome, just like broadcast camera’s. But now I bought the Ursa Broadcast G2 and because it’s gen5 I had to update my BMPCC 4K to also get gen5. But now peaking (not colored lines) is terrible in film modus. Even if I set peaking to 100 it’s very hard to find focus. This occurs in both camera’s but only in film modus, in video modus everything works as it should be and then I have to set peaking back to 50. Any idea’s? Is it a bug?

wemrick1

Re: Peaking problem

PostSat May 21, 2022 11:24 am

Bug, constraint, condition; I have no idea, but it's real. Sometimes the zoom in focus assist helps. Sometimes a high contrast lut helps. Sometimes it comes down to really straining my eyes and catching the smallest glimpse of a peaking line or using my eyes for the focus point.

carlomacchiavello

PostSat May 21, 2022 12:43 pm

If you not shoot in prores but in braw you can shoot in video mode and peaking work fine, than in resolve or other NLE setup interpration like film gen5 and voilà.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

wemrick1

PostSat May 21, 2022 12:50 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:If you not shoot in prores but in braw you can shoot in video mode and peaking work fine, than in resolve or other NLE setup interpration like film gen5 and voilà.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Lol, now that is funny. This never dawned on me. Shooting in raw the choice of film or video makes no difference once in post. The only difference is the view in camera. I don't know how I missed that one but I'm glad you mentioned it!!!

BennoZ

PostSat May 21, 2022 1:40 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:If you not shoot in prores but in braw you can shoot in video mode and peaking work fine, than in resolve or other NLE setup interpration like film gen5 and voilà.

I work in ProRes so that's not an option....

carlomacchiavello

PostSat May 21, 2022 3:23 pm

BennoZ wrote:

build a lut that give you film gen5-> to rec709 with high contrast to focus better.
in past i did a b/w lut inverted (negative picture) to help me the focus peaking under hard light.
if i remember correctly captain hook just did this in some thread, but sorry i not remember where.

Howard Roll

PostSat May 21, 2022 4:52 pm

BennoZ wrote:

It is an option. Apply the G5 Broadcast to 709 LUT to screen, output, or both, it's at the users discretion to bake the LUT.

Good Luck

Ellory Yu

PostSat May 21, 2022 4:59 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:if i remember correctly captain hook just did this in some thread, but sorry i not remember where.

I remembered this but I can’t find the thread. If anyone remembers, please share the link.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Cinematography