New 6K Pro, Screen Stopped Working

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

GuitarRich

New 6K Pro, Screen Stopped Working

PostWed Jun 02, 2021 7:07 pm

Just got my 6k Pro today, worked great out of the box. Came back to the camera after a while and it turns on, but the screen has no display. I can see the backlight on the screen so I know its getting power. But the menu button does not bring up the menu. I can tell that the ND filters are working, and if I hook up the hdmi to my capture card I get video output. But nothing on the back of the screen.

Is there a setting or reset I can hit? Anyone had this issue before? or am I sending this one back?

drknsss

Re: New 6K Pro, Screen Stopped Working

PostWed Jun 02, 2021 10:09 pm

I had the exact same thing happen to my P6K. in my case the screen came on when the battery was left out for a few hours but would stop working after a few minutes. I did RMA and it took a month to get the replacement in because of restocking timing. At the time all this happened I didn't try the HDMI port like you did.

I kept the camera for a week before sending it back and during that time I found a workaround that could come in handy if the back screen fails on a shoot. Take out the battery and leave it for a few hours. When you put the battery back in you can quickly set up the Bluetooth connection to a phone and use the Blackmagic app. You have full control of the camera settings with the app (and focus control for native lenses!!!) The app is worth the price regardless.

Maybe the above will work for you.

ketipapadema

PostThu Jun 03, 2021 10:28 am

Hi there,

I have a similar issue with a brand new 6k Pro. I turn on the camera and everything works fine, but after a few minutes (it varies) the screen has no display. I can too se the backlight of the screen and ND filters seem to work just fine. I reset the settings to factory but i still get the same thing.
So is this a common issue? Are these faulty products and do we send them back?

GuitarRich

PostThu Jun 03, 2021 7:11 pm

Thanks for the replies, I ended up sending mine back. Shop has some in stock so hopefully it will only be a week until I get a working model!

vanrisp

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 6:21 pm

Same here with a brand new 6k pro. Arrived earlier this week. On the first day of testing/getting used to, it stopped working. HDMI-out = OK, ND works. REC button not working. Screen black, but turns on (backlit).
Production flaw? Anyone else?

This is a very disappointing first-time-experience with a blackmagic product…

realpeople

PostMon Nov 08, 2021 4:06 pm

Same here, got the Camera, went 2 days mild shooting (a couple of inside hours tops) and boom!
Screen gone. Seems that gets powered (backlit) but no image.
NDs work, HDMI works, but no lcd screen image.
REC ok, but HDMI was a "clean feed" so not much of a help, but luckily enough it was on "braw" so, disaster was somehow minimised...
I'm frustrated. Very lucky to get an HDMI monitor on set and didn't lose the job...

I did reinstall firmware update 7.4.2 - but the camera shows "7.3.2 - no new updates" and "forced" the 7.4.2 installation by starting the camera with focus key pressed (as red in another post)

TIP: must be a USB-C to USB-3 cable, USB-C to USB-C connection stoped the firmware loading at 60-65% with "successful" message - very confusing to read "successful 7.4.2 and camera still 7.3.2"

I don't know , is 7.3.2 ok or not?
Another confusion

Now what?
I love this camera already, but do I have to send it camera back for service?
Is there a way to do a "hardware reset"?
Seems to me a software problem.
Any ideas?

UPDATE:
Camera was faulty and was replaced

Jamboo

PostSun May 22, 2022 8:45 pm

Same Problem here. Happen on a Important Job ...........

Had used the Cam about 6 times before.

Jamboo

PostWed Jul 27, 2022 10:24 am

I send it in... very nice and Friendly People in England there ....got it back and its working fine :)

Return to Cinematography