RGB Lights with the URSA 12K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

thefilmaddict

RGB Lights with the URSA 12K

PostFri May 27, 2022 11:20 am

I purchased an affordable light kit and wanted to test it out. Here’s a simple video I shot to test out the lights using the ursa 12k set to 4k:

Baked S'Mores - How To Make Traditional, Peanut Butter Cup, Peppermint Patties & Cookie S'Mores!

Here’s the light kit I used:

GVM RGB 1200D 3-Light Kit: Unboxing, Operation, Using the App & Review!

This kit is not as good as the big players in the game, but for the money, it’s not bad.

Travis Hodgkinson

Re: RGB Lights with the URSA 12K

PostFri May 27, 2022 1:18 pm

Not that you asked, but I suggest shooting in 12K always.
Then in Resolve downscale to 4K for great results.
Freelance Camera Op & Cinematographer based in Brisbane, Australia.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weapons: URSA 12K + Canon XF605 + Hero 10 + Pocket 6K Pro
Optics: DZO Pictor Zooms + SLR Magic Hyper Prime + Tokina Cinema Zoom

thefilmaddict

PostFri May 27, 2022 2:03 pm

I totally agree that when shooting in 12k or 8k you will get better results, but when I'm making something quickly and don't want huge files, I like that I can shoot in 4k. Most people that aren't like us can't see the difference, but I get what you are saying.

Travis Hodgkinson

PostFri May 27, 2022 2:25 pm

Nice clips though man :) the lights look interesting! I love that more and more companies are getting behind the idea the film equipment doesn’t need to cost a fortune. You really can create works of art without losing a limb.
Freelance Camera Op & Cinematographer based in Brisbane, Australia.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weapons: URSA 12K + Canon XF605 + Hero 10 + Pocket 6K Pro
Optics: DZO Pictor Zooms + SLR Magic Hyper Prime + Tokina Cinema Zoom

thefilmaddict

PostFri May 27, 2022 5:39 pm

Thanks! They are definitely not going to be as robust as the expensive RGB lights, but if you take care of them, they can do the job.

carlomacchiavello

PostFri May 27, 2022 9:33 pm

I would like to see how that light work on skin of people. Often many lights are good until meet skin tone reproduction :-)

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Jeffrey D Mathias

PostSat May 28, 2022 1:08 pm

You got that right Carlo... especially with the 12K which seems to discriminate more subtle colors. Many think that just because all colors can be created from three primaries ("all" being limited by the primaries chosen), that then this holds true also for reflected colors... this is not so. Objects reflect the colors that they do not absorb (not including spectral reflections here.) So when say three colors (say red, green, blue) are projected onto an object one might mistakenly expect that the red and green light will cause yellow to be reflected. Even though the red and green light will produce yellow (keeping simple with just two colors) if the object absorbs red and green and reflects yellow it will appear dark because there is no yellow to reflect. If the same object be white (reflecting all light) then it would reflect both the red and green light making it look a bright yellow.

The issue then with LED lights is that they can neglect to emit certain colors of the spectrum. And even though they will look white and also look white reflected from a white surface, when reflected off a surface which absorbs and reflects certain parts of the spectrum, that object may not look the same color with another light or as in sunlight (black body radiation which contains all colors in a certain distribution.)

This too can be why skin colors even vary with various full, continuous spectrum lights which have various distributions of the colors in their spectrum. Even the spectrum of the sun can vary with various atmospheric conditions.
AMD Threadripper 1950x 16-core 3.4 GHz
96 GB Crucial DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM RAM
AsRock Fatal1ty x399 motherboard
AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200 GPU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 22H2, build 19045.3208
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
iPad Pro M2

Return to Cinematography