HFR Blackmagic Pocket 7.9 Firmware Bug

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Barney87

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 1:05 pm

When shooting high frame rate, when you turn off camera it resets back to standard frame rate. This is a big problem when shooting on canon batteries as you are constantly having to switch on and off the camera to preserve battery life.

Ruined part of a quick run and gun shoot this evening because the settings where not retained after on/off

Jim Simon

Re: HFR Blackmagic Pocket 7.9 Firmware Bug

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 2:21 pm

I favor this behavior. I don't want the camera going into HFR mode when I turn it on. (Regardless of HFR state when I turned the camera off.)

Your best option here might be to not turn off the camera unless you have down time. Get more batteries and a belt pouch to hold a couple for quick change. Or the battery grip.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

victor_cuz

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 2:36 pm

Barney87 wrote:When shooting high frame rate, when you turn off camera it resets back to standard frame rate. This is a big problem when shooting on canon batteries as you are constantly having to switch on and off the camera to preserve battery life.

Ruined part of a quick run and gun shoot this evening because the settings where not retained after on/off

I Hope this bug will be fixed. Will not be updating for now.

Tom Roper

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 2:48 pm

Very timely warning, thank you Barney87! I never want to see the camera changing any settings on its own and I have a shoot tomorrow so I won't be updating either. FWIW, I have Panasonic cameras that revert to stored settings when powered down and I absolutely detest that behavior.

Pavel Rybakov

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 4:15 pm

Shoot in 50p and slow it down at the postproduction.
https://vimeo.com/nrggroup
...and sorry for my english =)
ASUS GL504GS laptop with Corei7 8750 & GeForce 1070, SSD Toshiba 512 NVMe + SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB
Macbook Air M1 8/256

Donnell Henry

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 8:01 pm

This bug happened to me as well after running some test. After shut down and boot up the frame rate changed to 60p on the pocket 6k pro
GODS CREATE

nictau

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 8:55 pm

It seems that with some cameras settings stay as it was when shot down.
At least with my cameras (6kpro). So I cannot confirm this bug.
Lenovo P15 Notebook Gen 2
128 GB RAM | Intel® Core™ i9-11950H
NVIDIA® RTX™ A5000 16GB
2x 4TB M.2 SSD
Windows 10 Pro 64

timbutt2

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 9:34 pm

Experienced a weird bug today. So while filming my screen froze, but only the UI and not the video. All external buttons stopped working as well. I couldn’t stop recording until I turned off camera. Luckily the file was fine and I was able to use that take. But it was really weird.

I think it happened when I went to double tap to zoom in to check focus while recording. Something I have done countless times in the past. Either way, the video signal kept going and I could still see what was being shot. Just the UI was frozen. So odd. This was the Pocket 6K Pro.

Now that I am back home I’m going to try to replicate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

timbutt2

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 2:06 am

timbutt2 wrote:Experienced a weird bug today. So while filming my screen froze, but only the UI and not the video. All external buttons stopped working as well. I couldn’t stop recording until I turned off camera. Luckily the file was fine and I was able to use that take. But it was really weird.

I think it happened when I went to double tap to zoom in to check focus while recording. Something I have done countless times in the past. Either way, the video signal kept going and I could still see what was being shot. Just the UI was frozen. So odd. This was the Pocket 6K Pro.

Now that I am back home I’m going to try to replicate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I couldn't replicate it at home. Still a weird one I'll keep an eye out for in the future.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Tom Roper

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 4:09 am

I went ahead and upgraded to 7.9 and the settings for me did not change when I power cycled as I was worried they might, but it did not happen.

I also noticed that stabilization is still smoother with Canon lens stabilization than P6K gyro stabilization.

Dane-Casp

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 6:43 pm

I can confirm that the pocket 4K has a tendency of resetting the frame rate. For me power cycling isn't a problem, the frame rate stays the same upon a reboot. But, the camera resets the frame rate if I am shooting in 2.6K at 120 frames a second, and I review footage. After reviewing one slow motion clip, when I return to shooting, the frame rate resets and the off speed frame rate is disabled. Not only that, but when I press the HFS button to resume recording slow motion footage, the off speed recording is reset to 60, instead of the 120 it was at before reviewing footage.

also, anyone else lose the ability to shoot 75 frames a second, on the pocket 4K at the 2.4:1 4K aspect ratio? seems after the update it tops out at 60P for all 4K resolutions

Return to Cinematography