12K sensor in a small body

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Michel Rabe

12K sensor in a small body

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 9:30 am

Haven't seen a blunt camera request in a while, so...

I'd love to have the 12K sensor in a small/lightweight body.
Resolution doesn't matter much, color and dynamic range is what makes it yummy.

Any chance BMD?

timbutt2

Re: 12K sensor in a small body

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 11:16 am

Michel Rabe wrote:Haven't seen a blunt camera request in a while, so...

I'd love to have the 12K sensor in a small/lightweight body.
Resolution doesn't matter much, color and dynamic range is what makes it yummy.

Any chance BMD?
I think that if you search the forum for URSA Micro then you’ll see I’ve requested it as an option that works in conjunction with the URSA Mini Pro bodies. A lot of people have been calling for a cube/box body. This URSA Micro was my compromise to appease them. Not meant as an A-Cam, but a B or C Cam. UMP would still be A-Cam.

Let’s wait till next month around the 2-Year Anniversary of the 12K for any announcements. Either that, or we’ll have to wait for end of summer or early fall for the next camera announcements. I have a feeling something is brewing. There hasn’t been a major change to the URSA body lineup in 5-years since the introduction of the URSA Mini Pro body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

John Brawley

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 12:12 pm

Kim Janson wrote:It likely will be some more time before we see 12k sensor on a small body as most part of URSA Mini Pro 12K is cooling and big battery.

Cost. When you’re making your own sensor in smaller volumes it’s mostly the unit cost.

That’s why the 12k was initially so expensive. Given how aggressively BMD price their products, think about what it meant for them to ask 10k for a camera. The 6K Pro is 1/4 of that price.

Once they hit a threshold for the volume they likely fell into a lower tier cost base and that’s why you saw such a big drop in the price.

I’m pretty sure it was also a good way to ramp down initial demand for a product that would have had very limited supply, something BMD have struggled with in the past. Being a new sensor you probably have a slow initial rate of supply, higher failure rate of components. Being a custom sensor it’s hard to instantly ramp up to higher volumes too, especially the kind of volume pocket cameras sell at.

I’m sure they would say it would still cost 5k or 6k for a pocket body with that sensor that likely couldn’t shoot with the same frame rate options.

Over time that cost will come down, but I suspect they will do custom sensors for the top strata cameras, stick with the cheaper commodity sensors for smaller lower cost cameras.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Jeffrey D Mathias

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 2:37 pm

I would like to add that I have also mentioned previously that a nice possibility could be a pocket (like the 4K size) with the 12K sensor cut down to 6K super16 (also keeping the MFT mount.) (...or maybe an LPL mount)
AMD Threadripper 1950x 16-core 3.4 GHz
96 GB Crucial DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM RAM
AsRock Fatal1ty x399 motherboard
AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200 GPU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 22H2, build 19045.3208
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
iPad Pro M2

Michel Rabe

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 4:57 pm

John Brawley wrote:
Kim Janson wrote:I’m sure they would say it would still cost 5k or 6k for a pocket body with that sensor that likely couldn’t shoot with the same frame rate options.

Holy Batman, give me that camera!

I don't care about 12K resolution and I believe most don't . 4 or 6K is fine. But that color and DR in a small body, that would be a dream.

Btw, it's already 2 years since the 12K came out?! It feels like it never really took off or did it? The image is aesthetically the closest to Arri there is imo.

Michel Rabe

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 5:05 pm

Kim Janson wrote:It sounds though you are not interested of 12k but better pixels, and I hope that is the direction future developments go.

Hope so too.

John Brawley

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 5:37 pm

Michel Rabe wrote:
John Brawley wrote:
Kim Janson wrote:I’m sure they would say it would still cost 5k or 6k for a pocket body with that sensor that likely couldn’t shoot with the same frame rate options.

Holy Batman, give me that camera!

I don't care about 12K resolution and I believe most don't . 4 or 6K is fine. But that color and DR in a small body, that would be a dream.

Btw, it's already 2 years since the 12K came out?! It feels like it never really took off or did it? The image is aesthetically the closest to Arri there is imo.

I think they've done OK with it. It's counter intuitive, but I think the fact that the price went down, means they probably hit their break even point.

It's in an awkward space because $10K or even $5K is a lot for a camera compared to most of BMD's target market.

I really don't think BMD are really trying to compete with Arri or Red. They're just innovating to the beat of their own drum.

At 10K then you start having a lot more expectations around back up service. I think that gives some NEW TO BMD customers a moment of pause.

I'm very sure they will continue to innovate with this sensor. They have something unique with it and it's a genuine point of difference. I'm assuming we'd see cameras that support the higher end rather than the lower end because the unit cost will still be high. It's harder to make numbers work on lower cost cameras, hence my $5k or $6K pocket camera.

I'm not sure many would do the same as you. They'd look at the 6K Pro and ask why pay double the price for a non dual ISO camera, especially if they don't understand what the 12K number gives you.

I think in THAT market people are more interested in AF and IBIS and something other than EF and PL mount...

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Michel Rabe

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 6:02 pm

John Brawley wrote:It's in an awkward space because $10K or even $5K is a lot for a camera compared to most of BMD's target market.

Crazy to think about it. The camera is basically too good for it's own market.

Return to Cinematography