Gyro Stabilisation issue

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Greg Pickering

Gyro Stabilisation issue

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 10:02 pm

BMPCC4K updated successfully to firmware 7.9
Davinci resolve studio 18.5 beta successfully installed
Macbook Pro M1 Max, 32Gb, 1Tb

Recorded some clips to test my Panasonic lenses and here are the results:

12-35 f2.8 Mk1 (updated to latest firmware) - There is NO gyro stabilisation option available under stabilisation drop down menu on edit page of Davinci Resolve 18.5 beta.

35-100 f2.8 Mk1 (updated to latest firmware) - There is NO gyro stabilisation option available under stabilisation drop down menu on edit page of Davinci Resolve 18.5 beta.

12mm f1.4 (updated to latest firmware) - Gyro stabilisation option IS available under stabilisation drop down menu on edit page of Davinci Resolve 18.5 beta.

25mm f1.4 (updated to latest firmware) - Gyro stabilisation option IS available under stabilisation drop down menu on edit page of Davinci Resolve 18.5 beta.

42.5mm f1.2 (updated to latest firmware) - Gyro stabilisation option IS available under stabilisation drop down menu on edit page of Davinci Resolve 18.5 beta.

Lenses were tried with lens stabilisation switch turn on and off and made no difference to the results.

My own Productions

Re: Gyro Stabilisation issue

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 11:57 pm

Yes I just tested this with my Canon 24-105 and my Rokinon 14 DSX. Canon had no Gyro and the Rokinon did.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 1:33 am

Greg Pickering wrote:12-35 f2.8 Mk1 (updated to latest firmware) - There is NO gyro stabilisation option available under stabilisation drop down menu on edit page of Davinci Resolve 18.5 beta.

35-100 f2.8 Mk1 (updated to latest firmware) - There is NO gyro stabilisation option available under stabilisation drop down menu on edit page of Davinci Resolve 18.5 beta.

Have you turned off Power OIS on the lens?

Greg Pickering

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 1:48 am

As mentioned in my original post, yes I tried with lens stabilisation turned on and off. Made no difference.

John Morris

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 6:13 am

I just tried my BMPCC4K with an Olympus 12-100 IS Pro. The Gyro stabilization option was available in Resolve irrespective of whether a clip was shot with the lens IS switch being on or off.
As expected filming soccer, the Gyro stabilization worked poorly when the lens OIS was enabled. Although it could be useful for getting the cropped centre of the frame. With OIS switched off, it still cut out too much of the frame due to tracking.
It is obviously targeting fixed handheld shots rather than tracking. It would be good if Resolve could be told to ignore panning movement, like can be done in the current color tab tracker. Adding controls for movement rate and extent would also be good to help distinguish hand shake from tracking movement.

Uli Plank

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 8:26 am

I'd assume that the software side in DR 18 will need some more development, this is just a first (public) iteration.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

rick.lang

Gyro Stabilisation issue

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 2:31 pm

Knowing the gyro is active is something very helpful in my shoots. I’m recording 2K or 2.6K or larger to provide an amount of wiggle room for reframing typically or occasional stabilization. However I also compose the image in my camera frame with a widescreen frame guide and a 90% safe area for delivery.

That safe area’s intent of course is intended to ensure your deliverable titles and credits are all visible on any screen. But with gyro stabilization, we are going to learn the best safe area percentages for the types of movement we typically want to stabilize.

Something for me to test on DaVinci Resolve 18 general release when I’m able.
Rick Lang

Frank Hoeben

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 2:40 pm

Greg Pickering wrote:12-35 f2.8 Mk1 (updated to latest firmware) - There is NO gyro stabilisation option available under stabilisation drop down menu on edit page of Davinci Resolve 18.5 beta.

I've tested this using my own 12-35 f2.8 Mk1 (updated to latest firmware).
I have gyro stabilization available when OIS is disabled in the setup menu. The switch on the lens itself does not matter, so if it's ON the gyro stabilization generates a bad result.
If OIS was enabled in the setup menu, gyro stabilization is not available.

John Paines

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 2:56 pm

As with gimbals, the safest thing is to use as wide a lens as you can, one size fits all, because you never know how bad your operating will be. Wide lenses can greatly mitigate the focus problem as well, when on the move. Necessary compromises..... Besides, resolution loss won't be obvious to audiences with moving shots, they're distracted by changing scene, and virtually everybody today is shooting at higher than delivery resolution anyway.

The gyro-stabilized walking shots seen so far are very encouraging. It amounts to a new camera.

MONNYS

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 3:27 pm

Good day.I have a BMPCC6K camera and I have updated the camera to fw 7.9 Calibrate image sensor and calibrate motion sensor AND I STILL NOT WORK GYRO STABILIZATION THE GYRO TABLE IS GRAYED. I have two lenses Sigma 17-50ois and Sigma 18-35.And new update DVR ST18.5. Thank you for your advice

rick.lang

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 3:28 pm

John Paines wrote:
The gyro-stabilized walking shots seen so far are very encouraging. It amounts to a new camera.

So true; that’s how I also felt about the impact of the 7.3 firmware update on my lowly BMPCC4K. Kudos for BMD giving it a long life.
Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 3:51 pm

@Milan: You need to turn off OIS.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

MONNYS

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 4:21 pm

I did this off OIS. Would a factory reset help?

Jsowell

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 5:02 pm

the image stabilization option is always on in my menu and i have no option to turn it off the box is greyed out is this normal on manual lenses. would be great if someone would post a guid to setting up the camera properly to use this ie lens data etc
Resolve Studio 18.5|
intel 10900k | Windows 10 | 32GB RAM | GTX 4090 24 gigs ram | | Decklink 4k extreme 12g

MONNYS

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 6:00 pm

After updating to fw 7.9, the on / of stabilization item did not appear in the menu at all.

Harold Hoeffelman

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 7:06 pm

I had the same experience, no Gyro option. However you have to Switch Off under Setup the Image Stabilization in camera.

As said before in this forum. Lenses were tried with lens stabilisation switch turn on and off and made no difference to the results. I have the same experience.

Maybe there is a difference in tracking, panning, etc. but I have to experience further.

Cheers Harold

Greg Pickering

PostMon Jun 27, 2022 12:53 am

ISSUE RESOLVED

Following Frank Hoebens advice I retested the Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 lens. This time I turned off the in-camera stabilisation function. Now Gyro stabilisation is available in Davinci Resolve. Many thanks to Frank.

Frank Glencairn

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 9:33 am

if you encounter problems with a certain lens, you may go to the project menu, reset the lens data and put it in manually instead.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Ellory Yu

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 11:54 pm

MONNYS wrote:After updating to fw 7.9, the on / of stabilization item did not appear in the menu at all.

I have the Pocket 6K and after updating to few 7.9, I too cannot find this stabilization item in any of the menu. I have the Sigma 18-35 EF lens on it and it has no OIS. Can someone point out how to get this stabilization option to appear in the camera menu? Or am I missing something here.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 1:15 am

On the 6K models, there is no software button for lens OIS as the EF lenses all come with a physical switch.

Admittedly that button label should have been better labelled as lens stabilisation instead to avoid confusion.

Ellory Yu

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 2:26 am

Kristian Lam wrote:On the 6K models, there is no software button for lens OIS as the EF lenses all come with a physical switch.

Thank you for the response Kristian.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

rick.lang

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 3:27 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:… Admittedly that button label should have been better labelled as lens stabilisation instead to avoid confusion.

Yes, perhaps that label will change in the next firmware update for the Pocket cameras.

That also allays my concern that my manual BMPCC4K may not send gyro data since the button is On but disabled/greyed out even though I have no electronic lenses. When greyed out like that, it’s irrelevant and the BMPCC4K will write gyro data.

Looking forward to using the gyro to stabilize camera movement in Resolve 18.
Rick Lang

jgugenheim

PostWed Jul 20, 2022 10:50 am

The stabilisation button on and disabled "feature" appears on my BMPCC4k too. I can turn it on and off using the switch on the lens (Panasonic/Leica 12-60mm) and DVR 18b6 always lets me do a gyro stabilisation. It makes no difference what the lens switch isa set to at power up. If I use my M.Zuiko 12-40mm (which has no stabilisation), then the camera still shows a disabled stabilisation "on" button. Not quite sure what's going on here!
JG

15" Macbook Pro, 2.9GHz 6c i9, 32GB RAM, Vega 20 4GB
Vega 56 8GB in a Core X eGPU cage
Laptop + 2x2k & 1x4k display
iPad + 4k display
Resolve Studio for Mac and iPad + Speed editor
BMPCC4k & BMPCC6k Pro

Return to Cinematography