Gyro Stabilization

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Robdoc

Gyro Stabilization

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 7:50 pm

Hey everyone,

Like a lot of people I was eager to try the gyro stabilization.

Here are the settings that I used in Resolve:

This was the result:

I am using the Sigma 18-35. As you can hopefully see in the video, there seems to be blurring(?) when I walk to hide the shake. Am I doing something wrong, or is this as good as it can get at this time?

Jamie LeJeune

Re: Gyro Stabilization

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 8:05 pm

Robdoc wrote: there seems to be blurring(?) when I walk to hide the shake. Am I doing something wrong, or is this as good as it can get at this time?
That's motion blur because the camera is moving faster than the exposure time per frame in those moments. The gyro and software can't do anything to remedy motion blur. The only solution for that much motion is to shoot with a narrower shutter angle of 90 or even 45 degrees to reduce the exposure time.
BMD's own demo footage was shot with a 45 degree shutter angle for that reason. It's all explained in the this post by Captain Hook:
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=162668&p=860024&hilit=hook#p860004
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Robdoc

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 8:17 pm

Thanks Jamie!

Robdoc

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 8:39 pm

Here's a new video with the Shutter at 45. Much better.

Uli Plank

PostMon Jun 27, 2022 8:40 am

You may need to take intro consideration that any motion blur from short bumps becomes more obvious through stabilisation. I hope that BM will develop something like the respective function in After Effects, which can cure that to some degree.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Robdoc

PostMon Jun 27, 2022 12:38 pm

I wanted to ask another question about this. Here's a video I took just to have a subject in the frame to see what would happen. (I was hoping to be able to shoot handheld and just lose the gimbal all together)

This was shot with shutter set at 45.

Some questions.

1. Would this be any better with something like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1483096-REG/flycam_flcm_fln_750n_flowline_750n_stabilizing_ergonomic.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A6879&gclid=CjwKCAjwquWVBhBrEiwAt1Kmwm4wo7EC6xy7GQLtKhfyog4Lv0GczyjX-h2AcQ1ceH7gI3WBuqDJVBoCFGUQAvD_BwE I currently have this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1607826-REG/digitalfoto_solution_limited_thanos_proii_support_vest_arm_carbon.html and balancing the camera on the gimbal and then balancing it on the thanos system is so time consuming and absolutely maddening.

2. Is this, in terms of gyro stabilization(what we are seeing now) essentially the best it can be?

3. I saw videos of people that have the FX3 doing handheld and then running it through gyro stabilization. I did not notice any motion blurs, etc and they had videos of them walking, some even running if I remember correctly.

Jamie LeJeune

PostMon Jun 27, 2022 7:46 pm

Time to dig the old "Poor Man's Steadicam" out of the garage : )
https://steadycam.org
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

John Paines

PostMon Jun 27, 2022 8:05 pm

Robdoc wrote:I wanted to ask another question about this. Here's a video I took

For starters, for gawd sake, man, normalize your videos! Log is not a display format!

But to try to answer your question, the anomalies seen in your footage are puzzling at 45 degrees. What camera are you using? Are you compressing the footage before you upload it? It looks like there's more than just mismatched motion blur in your material. Compression artifacts, even changing autofocus, which wouldn't make sense for a BMD camera.

I haven't seen this kind of thing in other test footage. Anyone else?

As for more stability, the easiest thing at hand is just mounting the camera on a tripod, and carrying that.

roger.magnusson

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 3:10 pm

There's no menu option for this on the Pocket 6K as OIS is enabled/disabled on the lenses.

flipnap

PostFri Oct 20, 2023 11:47 am

EDIT* I just re read your first post and realized im not sure what camera youre using. if its a BM 6k variety then read on. if not then then I have no idea how other cameras work with Resolve Gyro stab.

First off, make sure you calibrate the cameras onboard gyro before shooting. Now IMPORTANT! you cannot use any gimble with the gyro stab and you CANNOT use onboard IS on the lens itself (if it has it). it wont work. Also you HAVE to shoot BRAW, no pro rez. 2nd, make sure if youre using a fully manual lens that you input the lens settings on the camera. I believe that sigma lease does talk to the camera though, just open the lens info on the camera and check. 3rd, if you do not want ANY motion blur artifacts you must shoot at a high shutter/frame rate. its easy to get back motion blur. go into fusion and add two nodes in between "media in/media out".. will look like this. "media in > optical flow > vector motion blur > media out".

Gyro is the BEST stabilizer you can get, but most people dont know it also almost completely eliminates rolling shutter. I dont know how it does this since thats a sensor issue but it does, and it does it well. I shot a whip pan of a picket fence. I had almost 45 degrees image distortion. after gyro stab I had barely 3 degrees.

Uli Plank

PostFri Oct 20, 2023 12:56 pm

Simple. With gyro data and sensor data DR has every information needed to eliminate RS – for the camera motion only. It won't help with moving objects.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

roger.magnusson

PostFri Oct 20, 2023 1:01 pm

flipnap wrote:Now IMPORTANT! you cannot use any gimble with the gyro stab and you CANNOT use onboard IS on the lens itself (if it has it).

Not using optical image stabilization makes perfect sense when you want to use in-camera gyro metadata in post. But why not a gimbal?

SteveDGreen

PostFri Oct 20, 2023 1:37 pm

I can't see any way the gimbal would cause a problem, it's stabilising the whole thing after all compared to the lens doing some stabilisation

Return to Cinematography